Camshaft Photos

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Was curious to see what I could see through the oil filler cap. I put my phone on the engine cover and snapped a photo. I would appreciate anyone willing to snap and share.
I noticed wavy lines on the camshaft. I know there are engine experts here but also this is fairly easy to photograph. :)
IMG_1526.jpeg

I have 2,400 miles on the my 2021.

A friend sent me a photo of his 2021 with just over 4,000 miles.
The wear looks different (more of what I'm used to seeing on engine rebuilds I watch), and also one of the part numbers is different 25.2 vs. 29.8.
A265C539-766C-4ECE-B1F4-D147322B0CA2.jpg
Sponsored

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
The wear looks different (more of what I'm used to seeing on engine rebuilds I watch), and also one of the part numbers is different 25.2 vs. 29.8.
Can't speak for the wavy lines on the cam shaft except maybe something to do with the caps. Before I became a "techie", I worked at the TMMK plant in powertrain and the machining group did engine assemblies in batches......so when the cams got machined, the caps were machined at the exact same time so that they would match the cams. Based upon this, that different part number would not be uncommon. What you don't want is two different part numbers matched to the same set of cams......

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Can't speak for the wavy lines on the cam shaft except maybe something to do with the caps. Before I became a "techie", I worked at the TMMK plant in powertrain and the machining group did engine assemblies in batches......so when the cams got machined, the caps were machined at the exact same time so that they would match the cams. Based upon this, that different part number would not be uncommon. What you don't want is two different part numbers matched to the same set of cams......
Thanks! That's one mystery solved. :)

Reactions: max

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I've pulled the cams out of many cars and have never encountered a wavy wear pattern like that before. I'm not saying there's anything wrong, just haven't encountered it myself. Interested to hear what others say about it. Will look at my '21 tomorrow.

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I've pulled the cams out of many cars and have never encountered a wavy wear pattern like that before. I'm not saying there's anything wrong, just haven't encountered it myself. Interested to hear what others say about it. Will look at my '21 tomorrow.
Thanks! Frankly I'm not concerned, more fascinated. But I'd be interested if it's something I should be concerned about! Looking forward to your results. I did use a pic just to lightly run over the surface of the waves. I couldn't feel anything till I hit the borders of the wear path.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Well that's called scoring. I think anything that your fingernail can catch is considered to be not so great. I believe some polish them to smoothen them up... But I can't comment on how common it is on BMW engines and it's affects.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Was curious to see what I could see through the oil filler cap. I put my phone on the engine cover and snapped a photo. I would appreciate anyone willing to snap and share.
I noticed wavy lines on the camshaft. I know there are engine experts here but also this is fairly easy to photograph. :)
IMG_1526.jpeg

I have 2,400 miles on the my 2021.

A friend sent me a photo of his 2021 with just over 4,000 miles.
A265C539-766C-4ECE-B1F4-D147322B0CA2.jpg
I think the wavy lines are part of the process when they grind the cams to shape. If it was a wear pattern they would look more like helixes in there. They should wear away as seen on your friends car with the 4000 miles.

-RJM

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Well that's called scoring. I think anything that your fingernail can catch is considered to be not so great. I believe some polish them to smoothen them up... But I can't comment on how common it is on BMW engines and it's affects.
Used a fine metal pick to run over it. couldn't feel a thing till the edges of the lobes so i think it's fine.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Thanks! So there's some waves in yours and different numbers. We need an engine expert to chime in!
My part # may be different since its a 2020. Just to add i have 13k miles on the car.

Another thing i noticed, mine has 8.8 grade hardware as some of the others have 10.9 hardware for the cam cap bolts. wonder if thats a 2021 thing?

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
My part # may be different since its a 2020. Just to add i have 13k miles on the car.

Another thing i noticed, mine has 8.8 grade hardware as some of the others have 10.9 hardware for the cam cap bolts. wonder if thats a 2021 thing?
Your guesses are as good as mine but hey as long as they're running strong, I couldn't care less.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Your guesses are as good as mine but hey as long as they're running strong, I couldn't care less.
Thatā€™s my sentiment as well. If it still gets sideways when I mash the pedal and the oil shows max its a good day.

-RJM
Sponsored