Can you “over rev” the AT?

MR_X

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Bupra, 2016 Macan Turbo, 2010 M3
My 2020, when in manual, if I don’t shift it, it will bang the redline all day in any gear. It also kind of puts the car in limp mode after that. I have to put it in park and then back in gear for it to reset. I’m tuned in BM3 and keep transmission in Sport +.
Sponsored

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
My 2020, when in manual, if I don’t shift it, it will bang the redline all day in any gear. It also kind of puts the car in limp mode after that. I have to put it in park and then back in gear for it to reset. I’m tuned in BM3 and keep transmission in Sport +.
That’s interesting. So. Many. Variables.

I guess to answer the OP. No, you cannot over rev. Beyond that, your car will also not auto upshift, unless it’s weird like mine but only in a very specific scenario….

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
+1 (not as a joke, but to make noise…for fun) this works at low parking lot speeds. It will actually go into neutral at a higher speed than I feel safe trying to get it back into gear. I generally slow way down (to parking lot speeds) before trying to get back into D.

Also, I can confirm my experience is that my car will auto upshift 1-2. Not sure if everyone else’s tests are 1-2 or 2-3+.

- M mode (shifter to the left)
- Sport mode
- VSC completely off

FYI, 2020 (tuned on ecutek).

However, the scenario goes something like this:

All settings above and I’m sitting at a stop light, stop sign, or u-turn with the intent to turn. 1st gear. Give it gas, slide out during the the turn while counter steering, I hit the limiter somewhere in here, and as I’m straightening the car/wheel, the car auto upshifts to 2.

This happened multiple times last night right as I was going to hit the paddle to upshift resulting in my double upshift to 3.

I honestly feel like I’ve hit the limiter in 1 during donuts with no auto upshift (same settings as above, obviously).

So maybe, just maybe:
- the car will hold gears in 2+
- the car will auto upshift 1-2 if it senses that you want to go straight at some point (or are picking up speed - sounds more likely now that I think about it), but not if doing donuts (or burnouts - someone has had to hit the limiter in 1 doing a burnout…)
Mine happily auto-upshifts from 2-3 and 3-4 in sport mode full manual, regardless of traction control settings, it’s not limited to 1st.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
ECU tunes shouldn’t affect trans behavior.
It could, if the ECU tune shifts the rev limiter up. So say normally the trans will auto-shift at 7200 RPM but the engine rev limiter is at 7000, the car will hit the rev limiter before shifting. If the tune moves the rev limiter up to 7400, the car will now shift before it hits the limiter.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Supports my theory of holding gears in 2+ (assuming she wasn’t in 1st when this happened).
So it would shift for me in manual in 1st and 2nd gear when I had all those dadgum chassis & steering angle reset codes going on. Once someone used Techstream (the Toyota software), it no longer did that. I can now hold my revs in manual. It was just one of the many quirks when the car was in pissed off mode, throwing codes (for me in my case).

And to be more specific, my wife held on to 4th gear a bit too long twice and it didn’t shift but did cut power on track.

Habu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra Absolute Zero
So today I was at the light with another Supra and we both floor it, his car being catless I couldn’t hear anything, as I’m paying attention this his car I look down and I'm riding the damn limiter in 3rd lol. So no it doesn’t shift up for you. (In M mode)

Last edited:

Soliduz

First Name
Zelda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra
stock 24 supra here. just passed the break in period. love bringing it up to the red line in manual mode. there is no way this is damaging the engine. If they didn't want people doing this, why tf would they add that extra orange circle animation ?? I switch it to manual mode just to see that. Sport mode - traction off here.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
stock 24 supra here. just passed the break in period. love bringing it up to the red line in manual mode. there is no way this is damaging the engine. If they didn't want people doing this, why tf would they add that extra orange circle animation ?? I switch it to manual mode just to see that. Sport mode - traction off here.
man that’s quiet. lol and you keep redlining it. This isn’t a high revving Type R lol 😆

a90.faz

First Name
Faraz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24’ 3.0 Premium | Matte Avalanche White Metallic
24’ model year; stock tune; 4th gear - accidentally forgot that I was in manual mode and floored the gas. Reved all the way to 7k until fuel cut off; it did not automatically up shift me 😅