Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
I’m not worried about this as much as I was at first. I guess the way I look at it now is like this… If the engine is reliable and strong, without any leaks, what’s more to ask for? If the price of a long lasting reliable engine is to top up with some fresh oil every so often, I’ll take that over an engine that doesn’t consume anything but is prone to fail and cause problems.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I posted a couple days ago that I was 1/3 down on the green oil line. Went for a REGULAR drive today and now I’m half down.

Scheduling the oil change tomorrow to make the switch to bmw 0w30

hope I’m not screwed since I plan to mod out and rip my warranty to shreds soon..:what:

anotherbrian

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
s2000
Thanks bunches.

Also maybe change the stats reporting so the percentages apply just to the year.
So for year 2020, 7.9% were oil users.

Or maybe not. But thanks again!

Screenshot_2021-09-12 Car excessively burning oil 2.jpg

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Your consumption is identical to mine. I managed to get 4,500 miles before the light went on. The dealership only added 3/4 quart, and the car showed full again. The people on the BMW M340, and M240 are having the exact same issues as the Supra.
I will say my M240i gets driven hard and doesn’t have near the burn rate the Supra has. Still trying to figure out if I actually burned a quart in 500 miles or if it was just a little bit of burning on top of a low refill when the oil was changed.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Oil just above the min line now. Every drive it gets lower. Started it up and checked the tips and seen the typical black covered pipes, but this time the left one had liquid in it. Is this oil? What does this mean for me?

Attachments

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
Oil just above the min line now. Every drive it gets lower. Started it up and checked the tips and seen the typical black covered pipes, but this time the left one had liquid in it. Is this oil? What does this mean for me?
I think it might just be condensation. How many miles on the car?

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
...... That looks bad...

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I switched to 0w30, to keep it under warranty, before switching to 5w30. I'll let you guys know how it goes (I drive a lot)
1,881 miles in 0w30 and only recently burned oil to 75% from max which is double the life compared to 0w20 where it would be 50% from max at the same mileage.

After talking to some BMW guys they said its normal to go 0w30 in the summer but going back to 0w20 in the winter

0w30 lowered the burn rate enough where it's way more manageable since I drive so much. I recommend everyone switch to 0w30 based on the weather

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Got an oil change a little over 600 miles ago. After the oil change it was 1/4 below max.

Had a track day, drove it hard, check the oil again today and it is at max. Annoying.

I used Castrol Edge 0w-20 that neets or exceeds the ACEA C5 and API SN Plus recommendations.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
When was the last time you washed your car and did you detail the exhaust tips? My car has right at 4,000 miles on it and last weekend was the first time I've actually taken the time to detail the exhaust tips fully, but that being said, they looked NOTHING like that! That does look like condensation build up, which is normal with these cars on first start because the car is designed to rapidly heat up the cats so that you can drive it really quickly, but the exhaust soot you have on your exhaust tips looks a bit excessive to me.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
When was the last time you washed your car and did you detail the exhaust tips? My car has right at 4,000 miles on it and last weekend was the first time I've actually taken the time to detail the exhaust tips fully, but that being said, they looked NOTHING like that! That does look like condensation build up, which is normal with these cars on first start because the car is designed to rapidly heat up the cats so that you can drive it really quickly, but the exhaust soot you have on your exhaust tips looks a bit excessive to me.

Edit: Looking back at the picture you posted, that does kind of look like a little oil droplet on the end of the tail pipe.
i never cleaned the tips before. tbh its prob nothing but this whole rapid burn thing has me worried about everything now..:confused1:

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
i never cleaned the tips before. tbh its prob nothing but this whole rapid burn thing has me worried about everything now..:confused1:
Forget what I said about it looking like an oil droplet, I looked back at the picture even closer this time and it's clearly just condensation pooling up. In that picture it actually looks like there is a ton of build up on your exhaust tips. Maybe try cleaning them really well with some soap/water and 000 Steel wool and then see how long it takes for them to get coated in soot again. Also as many people have stated, you could try swapping to 5w-30 Liquid Moly and see how that works for you. Some people have said doing that fixed the issue entirely and haven't seen a single low oil sign again at all.

Edit: Also, what is that "etched" look on your exhaust tip? It almost looks like when someone tries to peel plasti dip off of a wheel or something.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Edit: Also, what is that "etched" look on your exhaust tip? It almost looks like when someone tries to peel plasti dip off of a wheel or something.
huh didnt see that before :hmm:
Sponsored