Car owner who left Jeep at dealership gets sued after worker dies during oil change

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
FFS I've had jobs where you gotta be certified just to use the electric stapler.

Working at Raytheon I felt this............ I laughed way to hard at it....... its soooooooo true though....:rofl:
Sponsored

DesertSupra2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 2.0 21 Camry TRD 18 RX350 19 Outback
While completely ridiculous, thereā€™s procedural formats that are followed. The ownerā€™s insurance will respond to said lawsuit defending their client and itā€™ll be dropped shortly after. This will also protect the owner from any double jeopardy claims in the future, etc. Just another reason to always carry insurance (in case weird shit happens).
Maybe. True story:

In my case my son left his car in a friendā€™s garage with the keys hidden in it. The friendā€™s family took my son with them on a vacation out of state. My sonā€™s friendā€™s sister somehow returned home from the vacation prior to the rest of the family and found the hidden keys, took my sonā€™s car out of their garage with her friends and crashed the car into another one head on. No one was seriously hurt. My sonā€™s friendā€™s sister did $18k worth of damage to my sonā€™s car and not sure how much damage to the other car.

The best part: my insurance said I was responsible for ALL DAMAGE TO BOTH VEHICLES because my son left the keys in the car. My insurance company said that the reason I was responsible is because the keys were left in the car and therefore we gave ā€œimplied consentā€ to the friendā€™s sister to drive the car

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
Maybe. True story:

In my case my son left his car in a friendā€™s garage with the keys hidden in it. The friendā€™s family took my son with them on a vacation out of state. My sonā€™s friendā€™s sister somehow returned home from the vacation prior to the rest of the family and found the hidden keys, took my sonā€™s car out of their garage with her friends and crashed the car into another one head on. No one was seriously hurt. My sonā€™s friendā€™s sister did $18k worth of damage to my sonā€™s car and not sure how much damage to the other car.

The best part: my insurance said I was responsible for ALL DAMAGE TO BOTH VEHICLES because my son left the keys in the car. My insurance company said that the reason I was responsible is because the keys were left in the car and therefore we gave ā€œimplied consentā€ to the friendā€™s sister to drive the car
I've got to stop coming into this thread. Please tell me some deal got worked out.

DesertSupra2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 2.0 21 Camry TRD 18 RX350 19 Outback
I had to prove to my insurance company using signed statements, a letter from the detective, and the police report showing charging the driver and passenger with a class 5 and 6 felony that we did not give the sister ā€œimplied consentā€. The sisterā€™s family ended up being responsible but part of the reason is that my state, unlike some states that do, do not have a law stating if you leave your car keys in your car you are responsible if anyone, even illegally, takes the car. The court dropped the felonies and had the girls write an Iā€™m sorry letter and take a class called ā€œCrime Doesnā€™t Payā€.

My big lesson: I hesitated in pressing charges immediately because they were minors. This mistake made it appear we gave implied consent.
I spent months trying to prove we did not give implied consent to my wonderful insurance company. But there was no way in hell I was going to be held responsible for this.

But at least it took 7 months at the repair shop recommended by the dealer to get the car fixed! That was a whole other cluster f***.
Sponsored