Carplay activation for 2021 3.0 in USA

Dr.Gao

First Name
Jianan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Hey, fellows, I bought a 2021 Supra 3.0 base recently with no carplay. And it seems like it is impossible to activate carplay for 3.0 if you don't have it from the dealer. I have tried the software from ebay titled " TOYOTA SUPRA J29 CarPlay Activation ". Doesn't work saying "Code is not valid for eNav2". I also tried calling dealer and Toyota who checked my vin and said your car is not eligible for "apple carplay retrofit". Basically saying it is not compatible with apple carplay, which I find it very hard to believe and annoying. Let me know what I should do to activate it guys, I am pretty sure you guys has figured that out.

Otherwise I just bought a car for 50k and it doesn't have what is standard equipped in almost all vehicles :rolleyes:

EDIT: Yes, my car is 3.0 base without the technology package, without any options actually.
Sponsored

Last edited:

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
It sounds like you purchased a 3.0 model (not the Premium) and that it lacked the "Safety and Technology Package" option. Do you have dynamic cruise control or blind spot monitoring? I'm guessing you don't.

I don't think there's much you can do. Perhaps someone will figure out a way to code Carplay. Other than that, there's no factory-approved method to add this, I'm afraid.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
did you buy the base or premium? what did it say on your car window sticker?

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
I've had my car almost a year, and besides using it the very first day, I've yet to use it since.

I don't see the big fascination with Apple CarPlay ? What am I missing here
Really one thing, and that's Waze. The real-time police reports are invaluable for my regular 110-mile (one way) weekly commute. Waze + Radar Detector has bailed me out almost monthly. Sure, I could just run this off my phone, but it's so much nicer having it on the iDrive display, including the ability to report road-issues in real time. The Waze maps on the big display are just gorgeous, too.

Other than this, I actually prefer iDrive for phone and nav functions. It's much more reliable than Carplay, which does have stability issues in the Supra.

OP
OP
Dr.Gao

Dr.Gao

First Name
Jianan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
It sounds like you purchased a 3.0 model (not the Premium) and that it lacked the "Safety and Technology Package" option. Do you have dynamic cruise control or blind spot monitoring? I'm guessing you don't.

I don't think there's much you can do. Perhaps someone will figure out a way to code Carplay. Other than that, there's no factory-approved method to add this, I'm afraid.
Yes, my car is 3.0 base without the technology package. I didn't buy this car for fancy technology but it is so upsetting to know that this stuff cost you 50k and lack some standard technology, I don't even have navigation, yes I could still use my phone just like in a 2011 Honda Accord, which is half the price.

OP
OP
Dr.Gao

Dr.Gao

First Name
Jianan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Really one thing, and that's Waze. The real-time police reports are invaluable for my regular 110-mile (one way) weekly commute. Waze + Radar Detector has bailed me out almost monthly. Sure, I could just run this off my phone, but it's so much nicer having it on the iDrive display, including the ability to report road-issues in real time. The Waze maps on the big display are just gorgeous, too.

Other than this, I actually prefer iDrive for phone and nav functions. It's much more reliable than Carplay, which does have stability issues in the Supra.
Spot on

OP
OP
Dr.Gao

Dr.Gao

First Name
Jianan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I've had my car almost a year, and besides using it the very first day, I've yet to use it since.

I don't see the big fascination with Apple CarPlay ? What am I missing here
Just the convenience, easier to look at than iphone when look at navigation.

Mcoimpact

First Name
Bailey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 318ti Club Sport 1999 Wrangler Sahara, 2009 C

When I worked at BMW I found that even the most rabid disciples of the Church of St. Jobs usually preferred the BMW interface over CarPlay.

Afterfire

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2006 S2000, 2013 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
I also have a base and a few days after I bought the car in October last year I tried to use the Supra app and it was basically a no-go, so sent Toyota the info to help. I also took it to the dealer 3 times for appt's to see if they can load navigation on and they werent able to. Something about contacting Germany with different timezones etc etc. After about 2 weeks I got an email from Toyota saying that The Supra app is only compatible with the JBL system so that said to me maybe the hardware in the "head unit"(probably an oversimplification of everything it controls) is different than that of a premium and its not just a "lack of install". Same screen size but a different control unit. This could be incorrect but maybe some of the features that Premium have other than the hardware peripherals(blind spot sensors, parking sensors, HUD etc) in the tech package run off of hardware specifically in the premium control unit and its not so much a removal or lack of install for the bases so things like Carplay dont have the necessary hardware to push the software to the control unit. TBH I bought a base specifically to NOT have more electronics in the car because I plan to keep it a very long time and want as little electronic things to go wrong over time but I get it. Coming from a 2019 Civic Type R, I was spoiled with the features and I knew Toyota isnt exactly up-to-date on electronic amenities in a lot of their flagship vehicles. I experienced this when we had a 2015 4runner TRD pro with the same connectivity options as a 2004 Corolla ???

OP
OP
Dr.Gao

Dr.Gao

First Name
Jianan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I also have a base and a few days after I bought the car in October last year I tried to use the Supra app and it was basically a no-go, so sent Toyota the info to help. I also took it to the dealer 3 times for appt's to see if they can load navigation on and they werent able to. Something about contacting Germany with different timezones etc etc. After about 2 weeks I got an email from Toyota saying that The Supra app is only compatible with the JBL system so that said to me maybe the hardware in the "head unit"(probably an oversimplification of everything it controls) is different than that of a premium and its not just a "lack of install". Same screen size but a different control unit. This could be incorrect but maybe some of the features that Premium have other than the hardware peripherals(blind spot sensors, parking sensors, HUD etc) in the tech package run off of hardware specifically in the premium control unit and its not so much a removal or lack of install for the bases so things like Carplay dont have the necessary hardware to push the software to the control unit. TBH I bought a base specifically to NOT have more electronics in the car because I plan to keep it a very long time and want as little electronic things to go wrong over time but I get it. Coming from a 2019 Civic Type R, I was spoiled with the features and I knew Toyota isnt exactly up-to-date on electronic amenities in a lot of their flagship vehicles. I experienced this when we had a 2015 4runner TRD pro with the same connectivity options as a 2004 Corolla ???
Thank you for your info, yeah, could be an actual hardware problem, I also searched for 3rd party solution, but basically you need to have the navigation for it to work, I am pissed but it is what it is.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
I'm curious why you even decided to go with the base model. How much money could you possibly have saved? A lot of us managed to get our cars (premium or A91) for under MSRP. I myself bought my A91 for invoice.

That being said, have you attempted to see if maybe it can be unlocked via the Bimmercode app and a OBD2 reader? I cant imagine its an actual hardware limitation however i could be wrong. Its possible the carplay portion is a hardware addon.
Sponsored