Carplay activation for 2021 3.0 in USA

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
When did you buy the car? Can you exchange it? I bought my 3.0 Premium new for 48K and that included the carbon mirror caps.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dr.Gao

Dr.Gao

First Name
Jianan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I'm curious why you even decided to go with the base model. How much money could you possibly have saved? A lot of us managed to get our cars (premium or A91) for under MSRP. I myself bought my A91 for invoice.

That being said, have you attempted to see if maybe it can be unlocked via the Bimmercode app and a OBD2 reader? I cant imagine its an actual hardware limitation however i could be wrong. Its possible the carplay portion is a hardware addon.
Probably should have chosen premium, yes. Tried the bimmercode, no such options.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
When did you buy the car? Can you exchange it? I bought my 3.0 Premium new for 48K and that included the carbon mirror caps.
California has a stupid rule that once you sign the papers and pay for the car its yours, you cant return in. This only applies to new cars. Used cars theres a 6 day return policy.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
I've had my car almost a year, and besides using it the very first day, I've yet to use it since.

I don't see the big fascination with Apple CarPlay ? What am I missing here
Because Apple Maps, Waze, Google Maps are ALL WAY better than the standard navigation software in idrive. They are more clear, dont lag, and are a lot faster with traffic updates since you are connected to a cell network via your phone. Entire interface is also a lot more clear and navigating is just easier.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
That being said, have you attempted to see if maybe it can be unlocked via the Bimmercode app and a OBD2 reader? I cant imagine its an actual hardware limitation however i could be wrong. Its possible the carplay portion is a hardware addon.
CarPlay is part of the connected services, which rely on a SIM card for the infotainment system to communicate with BMW servers, so thereā€™s hardware and firmware for that communication as as well as WiFi. I doubt the base models without the Safety & Technology Package have that hardware and firmware.

Afterfire

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2006 S2000, 2013 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
I'm curious why you even decided to go with the base model. How much money could you possibly have saved? A lot of us managed to get our cars (premium or A91) for under MSRP. I myself bought my A91 for invoice.

Idk about the OP, but for me, I intend this car to replace my track s2000 in a couple years, so the less electronics, wires and replacement hardware I had to worry about in the bumpers was preferable. I dont care for the HUD (and it sounds like others with it dont either), the "premium' stereo is not very premium and the only thing I wanted on the premium were the rear brakes. Specifically the calipers and mounting bracket which can be bought later. So far I havent been regretful, and probably like the OP, I was also curious to find out if the nav and other premium features couldve just been unlocked with either Bimmercode or a dealership trip. The answer to both is no. Im ok with that.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Don't feel bad, mine is a 3.0L Premium and until iOS14.x.x I had CarPlay.. now I don't have CarPlay no matter how hard I try..

Given 99% of the time I just use Siri and stream the green radio (Spotify) it doesn't really matter. I still need my iWatch to open/close the garage door anyway..

OP
OP
Dr.Gao

Dr.Gao

First Name
Jianan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Idk about the OP, but for me, I intend this car to replace my track s2000 in a couple years, so the less electronics, wires and replacement hardware I had to worry about in the bumpers was preferable. I dont care for the HUD (and it sounds like others with it dont either), the "premium' stereo is not very premium and the only thing I wanted on the premium were the rear brakes. Specifically the calipers and mounting bracket which can be bought later. So far I havent been regretful, and probably like the OP, I was also curious to find out if the nav and other premium features couldve just been unlocked with either Bimmercode or a dealership trip. The answer to both is no. Im ok with that.
I bought this car to be a track day car too since my BRZ broke but sadly I don't have extra money to buy a daily so I have to daily the Supra, I didn't buy the supra for its technology, but the lack of carplay did bug me for a bit given that it is widely available. I am OK with it

OP
OP
Dr.Gao

Dr.Gao

First Name
Jianan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Don't feel bad, mine is a 3.0L Premium and until iOS14.x.x I had CarPlay.. now I don't have CarPlay no matter how hard I try..

Given 99% of the time I just use Siri and stream the green radio (Spotify) it doesn't really matter. I still need my iWatch to open/close the garage door anyway..
Damn, but that dealer should be able to fix, right?

OP
OP
Dr.Gao

Dr.Gao

First Name
Jianan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
CarPlay is part of the connected services, which rely on a SIM card for the infotainment system to communicate with BMW servers, so thereā€™s hardware and firmware for that communication as as well as WiFi. I doubt the base models without the Safety & Technology Package have that hardware and firmware.
Yeah, now I am conviced that it is not possible currently. I might try the bmw software on ebay once just for the sake of trying.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..

KillerhydroCL

First Name
O. Mansory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 J29 Supra
Hey, fellows, I bought a 2021 Supra 3.0 base recently with no carplay. And it seems like it is impossible to activate carplay for 3.0 if you don't have it from the dealer. I have tried the software from ebay titled " TOYOTA SUPRA J29 CarPlay Activation ". Doesn't work saying "Code is not valid for eNav2". I also tried calling dealer and Toyota who checked my vin and said your car is not eligible for "apple carplay retrofit". Basically saying it is not compatible with apple carplay, which I find it very hard to believe and annoying. Let me know what I should do to activate it guys, I am pretty sure you guys has figured that out.

Otherwise I just bought a car for 50k and it doesn't have what is standard equipped in almost all vehicles :rolleyes:

EDIT: Yes, my car is 3.0 base without the technology package, without any options actually.
i actually posted my bimmertech solution just now
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/so...apple-car-play-on-my-2-0-ltr-2021-supra.8486/

bigcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I enable CarPlay in a BMW specialized garage since Supra in my country does not offer CarPlay even on Premium model, took me about $199 USD.

You need to purchase an activation code, install the WiFi antenna, and program the iDrive(headunit).
Sponsored