Chief Engineer Says Supra's Blocked-Off Air Vents Can Be Made Functional / Functional vents possible?

JackieD86

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jd86racing.com
Car(s)
Supra A90, AE86, S2K AP2
Nice video Jackie. Even watching the launch video and teaser pics, I could not envision any functionality with all of the "fake vents"; even after Tada mentioned they can be made functional.

Are you planning to hack up the OEM hood or go with an aftermarket/lighter hood to experiment with?
We will have an aftermarket vented hood with built-in engine bay vents and proper fender vents if you choose to trim the fender liner plastics (and fake vent removed) available in both carbon and fiberglass soon. With how big the hood/clamshell will be, I'm sure it won't be very cheap, but it will be an option for those who absolutely want it.

Will keep you all posted on progress, although our priority is getting the car more downforce at the moment :)
Sponsored

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone ever made any or all of there vents functional? I wonder if Toyota will make a Supra down the line with those vents open. One of the reason i have held off buying one of these cars is because of the fake vents. I know even with the vents open there is little performance gains unless you are racing on a track to help cool the brakes ect.. i just hate the idea of spending close to 55k and to have fake stuff on the car.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
:rolleyes1: fake vents...

There have been few people and companies looked into this. I remember Jackie Ding's review, essentially saying hood doesn't make much sense. I believe on the passenger side it's where the washer fluid is around.

Front bumper fake vents are way too small imho to be good for anything, you'd at least have to cut out the vent seating surfaces. Regardless of this, there is a whole lot of parts behind it anyhow like remote radiators in the wheel well.. even if you move a few things around, it's hard to mate them with the brakes...

etc. etc.

upload_2020-6-25_16-23-46.png

upload_2020-6-25_16-24-35.png

09-toyota-supra-2020-engine--exterior--red[1].jpg

JZSupra

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
In an interview with the Supra chief engineer he said all the fake vents in the car can be made functional.

Go to 5:55 in the video.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
anything is possible if you throw money and time into it. Exactly 1 year passed from first Supra's, I've not seen anyone doing any work on it..

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
I thought for sure someone would have tackled this issue and made all vents functional by now. Hope someone does this in the future.

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Wow whats this gt4? Those definitely look functional. Ok nm just looked it up. 194k. No thank you. Hopefully they come out with this for us little folks with the functional vents lol.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
It's been known for a while that none of them are really feasible except maybe for the ones near the headlights and front fascia, and even they have limits.. The ones on the hood are over the strut tower and of limited use. The ones on the doors have nowhere to go at all. It should be obvious these were all cosmetic features. Tada said a few things that were a stretch or lost in translation.

Ale81

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350
There was a video, somewhere on the forum, of another Toyota engineer saying the hood vents could be removed as they release or pull air thru the engine bay. I don't know know how the air gets in but the hood vents exhaust the air, IIRC.

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
The door vents should lead to the rear brakes if you cut and put the ducting for them. Question is will toyota make one so we dont have to. Obviously the rear vents are the exit points for the door vents. Rear brake cooling. Im honestly going to wait till this happens. I dont like fake shit IMHO. It makes no sense to make cosmetic pieces look cool unless your spending it on a cheap car. This is not a cheap car so it shouldnt have fake shit on it. They should have just made it curvy with out the fake vents then.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
I feel like I'm in the minority in the fact the fake vents just don't bother me at all. I couldn't even imagine NOT buying this car for that reason. Seems petty.
The hood is certainly too long to not have some kind of shape alteration in it somewhere. I think that this is the reason the vents are there & I'm fine with them.
Sponsored

Reactions: wtf