Civic Type R Review - Would you go back to fwd?

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
I have a friend who has one. He has serious traction issues launching the car Even stock. Obviously itā€™s not a drag car, but FWD still is a limitation.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
Traded my CTR in on the Supra, havenā€™t looked back.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Fwd will always be fwd, no matter the car/technology. It will always be traction limited. My DD is fwd and makes about 325whp. It's worthless. 2nd gear does 75 mph and there is just no traction, ever. 3rd gear is questionable, if you can hang on to the steering wheel. I don't care how much technology the CTR has, it's still fwd. I much prefer rwd any day. I am even rwd > awd since awd cars tend to handle more like fwd cars. And that comes from the past 4 years of racing my 425whp evo.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
The primary advantages of a FF platform car are economy and simplicity IMO. I'd be totally fine with one as a grocery-getter or disposable commuter vehicle. However paying close to $40K for one that not longer gets fantastic gas mileage and is constantly fighting for traction even in optimal conditions isn't my idea of fun. I'd save ~$15K up front and get the regular Civic/Corolla hatch and get 35% better MPG if I were going FWD - plus far less goofy styling.

Either that or just save ~$7K-10K and get a GR86 or Miata and have some fun too. I realize the CTR is limited production, but the value just isn't there for me.

sik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, CTR
The biggest thing for me with the CTR has nothing to do with the performance (although I agree with most of the above) but the steering - it is just so , so heavy.

The Supra is soo much lighter and even that is heavy compared to my previous Alfa Stelvio - one finger driving.

If I drive five miles in my wife's CTR I can skip 'arms day' at the gym! :eek:

Ghostop

First Name
John snow
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Zl1 10sp 2017 civic type r
I have both daily the Type R. Iā€™ve had it since release great car never gave me any issue. Very fun daily indeed definitely picking up a 11Gen for the collection. If you can add another car to the family I would consider the R

E9EADC12-71BF-4030-BF80-CD2B1FF7A9B9.jpeg

Blaque Diamond Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV
I have both daily the Type R. Iā€™ve had it since release great car never gave me any issue. Very fun daily indeed definitely picking up a 11Gen for the collection. If you can add another car to the family I would consider the R

E9EADC12-71BF-4030-BF80-CD2B1FF7A9B9.jpeg
Sure looks like a fun daily indeed. Have you tried it on the track? And how did you like it?

Ghostop

First Name
John snow
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Zl1 10sp 2017 civic type r
Sure looks like a fun daily indeed. Have you tried it on the track? And how did you like it?
I havenā€™t taken her out on a track yet. But we have a nice mountain runs, some of the boys and I will get a weekend together and rip up it.
Type R hugs the road and definitely is fun for some spirited driving. You feel 100 percent confidence going into turns ?
Iā€™ve given some friends that arenā€™t car savvy a ride and they think itā€™s awd sometimes.

Blaque Diamond Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV
I havenā€™t taken her out on a track yet. But we have a nice mountain runs, some of the boys and I will get a weekend together and rip up it.
Type R hugs the road and definitely is fun for some spirited driving. You feel 100 percent confidence going into turns ?
Iā€™ve given some friends that arenā€™t car savvy a ride and they think itā€™s awd sometimes.
Well, carving canyons can make up for that with all its twisties, right?