Coded ASD back on in the Supra

Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
After driving my Supra for a year with the active sound design off, I decided to turn it back on a couple months ago.

What spurred my decision to take it off in the first place was being against fake engine noise and wanting a good aftermarket exhaust setup for the natural sound. I never got around to getting an exhaust because the price for sound didn't seem financially wise. All the time with it off got me thinking, maybe the ASD is actually a good thing! Turning it back on has made me excited to wring it out more often because the fake sound does a good job of projecting the inline 6 sound. To the average person, they would never know that. I've had non car friends ride with me and they would compliment the sound not knowing it was fake.

Being a motor head, I'm quick to go against the newer technologies and complications for cars these days. But I've come to see why cars are made the way they are today through an engineering lens. It's not a bad thing :hmm:. Anyone else done this or feel this way?
Sponsored

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
It's not bad, but I found it can get kinda "droney" sometimes, so I turned mine off...for now.

I remember my '15 Golf R's Soundaktor could be coded from 100% (full on) down to 0% (completely off.) It was nice to have it set somewhere in the middle where it wasn't too obtrusive.

I wish we had that adjustability.

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
I felt the same way, and I turned mine back on too. Then I added a powered sub, and ASD began feeding back uncontrollably, so that was the end of that. It's not terribly different than putting a mic on an instrument, so I don't see the big deal. Besides, if you actually consider yourself a purist, would you be driving this car in the first place? ?

Value

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I have mine turned off because my turbo back exhaust sounds much nicer then ASD and stock exhaust.

With that being said,You can actually code the ASD and make it sound crazy as hell lol. I was messing around with it when I coded my car. You can change a ton of things on it. If your going to keep ASD on - you might as well change the settings and try different setups ??

OP
OP
Kaizen

Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I have mine turned off because my turbo back exhaust sounds much nicer then ASD and stock exhaust.

With that being said,You can actually code the ASD and make it sound crazy as hell lol. I was messing around with it when I coded my car. You can change a ton of things on it. If your going to keep ASD on - you might as well change the settings and try different setups ??
Did not know you can adjust the ASD!

Value

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Did not know you can adjust the ASD!
Yes sir! I didnā€™t either at first since nobody really talks about it. If I wasnā€™t happy with my exhaust I was going to turn it back on and make it sound like a nascar LOL

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes sir! I didnā€™t either at first since nobody really talks about it. If I wasnā€™t happy with my exhaust I was going to turn it back on and make it sound like a nascar LOL
Is that a feature in expert mode?

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Too bad we can code the clown horn to sound like a diesel train. I think maybe the French might like to use our horns to signal their next surrender.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks @Value , I'll have to play with it.

Also, I noticed someone brought up a Sport+ or Sport Plus setting from other BMWs in another thread, but not sure if that amounted to anything.
Sponsored