Cold brakes noise

ARAKNID

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 prem. Supra Ford F-150 Jeep Gr Cherokee
I hope you aren’t going to the dealer just for this noise. There is nothing wrong with the brakes when they are cold/wet and sound like a horn. It’s just a characteristic of these Brembos.
Yes, I did go just for that reason. They were very nice about it and almost sounded like they were quoting you. While there I asked about adding a horn. NOOoo, it's not factory. Also advised against doing it myself as it might void the warranty. I guess if I want to honk at someone . . . I just lightly tap the brakes ;-)
Sponsored

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
Yes, every day. Garage stored (wet or dry) ... and yes, it kind of does sound like a horn.

Last edited:

A90.C

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2015 BMW 335i
LOL..... no ...didn't go to the dealer.
Funny story, I washed the car this weekend and drove the car. Going through the neighborhood,
I came to stop sign. TOOOOOOOOT. Dude walking his dog shot me a look after he finished cleaning out his drawers.

Dog said "Nice BMW!"
Lmaoo in the mornings/wet I always get self conscious when coming up behind cars at a light.. sorry swear I’ll not honking at you 😅

mwilkinson

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra and 1996 Supra (J-Spec RZ)
I get this too and it can be very embarrassing in town. It is often mistaken for me using the horn.

It is more prevelant when the car is cold and at the start of a trip, but certainly not limited to this.

Sounds like the horn from Noddy's car, a little cheeky toot! I try my best to creep the car forward, but that last part of the stop always elicits the sound - toot!

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
I never thought it would sound loud enough outside to be mistaken for a horn.

But, if you do want to help prevent it from squealing while cold, don't ease on the brakes when less than 3 mph. If you hit the brakes a little harder when coming to a stop, it won't squeal

First Name
Hannah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra MK5, 2005 Mazda6 i
Good morning all,

Not sure if it is normal, but I feel like it can't be correct. When I start the car cold, reverse from the garage and tap the brakes, I'll get a sound that ALMOST signs like the horn honking. It's not a grind, but an almost tonal note as I brake. The dealer told me everything was fine when I brought it in for the recall, but still seems odd to me that its a feature, not a bug. Please advise a n00b on this!

Thanks!
I didn't really notice it driving off the dealership but after some time I've noticed that sound as well, especially my dad. Did some research and that noise is completely normal for performance brakes and can increase if you're in a more humid environment. After some time driving, the noise goes away, it seems like a cold start noise if anything.

I attempted going to a mechanic but they needed my car to stay overnight since there were no Supra certified mechanics on lot. Just ended up leaving and never came back.

Have read dozens of forums saying it goes away after a "break-in" period. Car has 4.2k miles, drove from California to Missouri and still hear the noise every-time I start driving the car 😂.

I took a quick sound clip of it pulling out from my garage, I reckon that's the kind of noise you're talkin about?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Got our 1st decent cold snap down here in sunny SWFL and my MX5 brakes are screaming 😂. I feel exactly the same way. Shocked from the cold weather! Decent brakes love to squeal like a pig and spit out dust. But at least I can stomp on them repeatedly if I decide to track her again :)

Gringo1960

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger
LOL..... no ...didn't go to the dealer.
Funny story, I washed the car this weekend and drove the car. Going through the neighborhood,
I came to stop sign. TOOOOOOOOT. Dude walking his dog shot me a look after he finished cleaning out his drawers.

Dog said "Nice BMW!"
🤣🤣🤣
Sponsored