Cold Start Tune

MSport

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
Has anyone successfully reduced cold start noise with BM3? I love the exhaust once warm, but start up is a riot.
Sponsored

OldHead-MKV-Owner

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22' Supra, 95' 300ZX SMZ, 22' F150 Limited
I'm in the opposite group. I have an AA catted dp, on bm3 E50 ots, cat heat on oem, and mine no longer has the high rev heat up cycle.

The 93 map on oem does. Weird shit. When I get the custom tune we'll fix this.

suptj

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
I'm in the opposite group. I have an AA catted dp, on bm3 E50 ots, cat heat on oem, and mine no longer has the high rev heat up cycle.

The 93 map on oem does. Weird shit. When I get the custom tune we'll fix this.
Make sure you select your desired start up/settings in map config before flashing. You have to do this every time before you flash. It's map specific so the settings don't carry over to others. Its very common and easily overlooked.

In your case:
Select map -> Map Config (in the top right corner) -> Catalytic Heating (Cold Start) -> On.
Those who have catless usually turn it off.

OldHead-MKV-Owner

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Make sure you select your desired start up/settings in map config before flashing. You have to do this every time before you flash. It's map specific so the settings don't carry over to others. Its very common and easily overlooked.

In your case:
Select map -> Map Config (in the top right corner) -> Catalytic Heating (Cold Start) -> On.
Those who have catless usually turn it off.
Thanks man. Yeah, I was able to figure that out. Have "customized" 3 OTS maps and 2 of them (93 / E50) I've changed settings multiple times. Double checked that it's set to OEM and not Off.

Different setting question if you're up for it. Should I run the Max Cooling setting? I have it set right now and have noticed two things.
1. It 100% runs cooler (IAT) while transitioning from stop and go to highway. I have not looked at logs to quantify this. Subjective but
2. Fan runs almost every time I drive. It barely came on before.

Wondering what are the negative effects.

suptj

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
Thanks man. Yeah, I was able to figure that out. Have "customized" 3 OTS maps and 2 of them (93 / E50) I've changed settings multiple times. Double checked that it's set to OEM and not Off.

Different setting question if you're up for it. Should I run the Max Cooling setting? I have it set right now and have noticed two things.
1. It 100% runs cooler (IAT) while transitioning from stop and go to highway. I have not looked at logs to quantify this. Subjective but
2. Fan runs almost every time I drive. It barely came on before.

Wondering what are the negative effects.
Thats odd. Did you reflash the car after enabling max cooling mode?

Max cooling mode is mainly for the auxiliary pump. It essentially keeps your pump at 100% creating more flow throughout the system/lines. Some state its a lot of stress on the car especially if you're just driving normal and commuting. People like myself keep it on, while others only turn it on when at the track. To each their own I guess. I have something within the works in regards to cooling so if you're interested DM me!

Pros: more flow = more cooling.
Cons: it overworks your cooling system so longterm integrity is at question

Last edited:

OldHead-MKV-Owner

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thats odd. Did you reflash the car after enabling max cooling mode?

Max cooling mode is mainly for the auxiliary pump. It essentially keeps your pump at 100% creating more flow throughout the system/lines. Some state its a lot of stress on the car especially if you're just driving normal and commuting. People like myself keep it on, while others only turn it on when at the track. To each their own I guess. I have something within the works in regards to cooling so if you're interested DM me!

Pros: more flow = more cooling.
Cons: it overworks your cooling system so longterm integrity is at question

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
Yup, I reflashed.

ArmenLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Type R
Not on hi-flow?
I just flashed stage 2 OTS bm3 on 2021 with customRom. My car has a AA DP high-flow. By default it doesn't pre-select anything for certain settings. So by default it doesn't have cold start and I noticed the idle to be a little rough without it. Definitely going to reflash with that setting back on.

OP
OP
MSport

MSport

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
I just flashed stage 2 OTS bm3 on 2021 with customRom. My car has a AA DP high-flow. By default it doesn't pre-select anything for certain settings. So by default it doesn't have cold start and I noticed the idle to be a little rough without it. Definitely going to reflash with that setting back on.
I turned mine off and Iā€™m not noticing too much difference in idle so Iā€™ll probably throw the SP1R back on tonight. Iā€™m just going to make sure I get up to temp before driving: my only hope living in a condo with the SP1R. If it damages the Cat Iā€™ll just buy another I guess. But SP1R with hi flow shakes the walls.
Sponsored