Sponsored

JoeO86

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Ram Laramie
Hi everyone. Replaced the turbo on my car and trying to bleed the coolant system. When I follow the directions it wonā€™t go into service function with the hood closed. So I open the hood and service function shows up but then when I start the car it says service function cancelled. Any help would be appreciated.

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yes,
open bleeder on overflow
fill overflow to top
close bleeder and replace overflow cap
close hood, make sure car is on ground (not on lift or jacks), apply parking brake
put car in diag mode (ht start button 3 times)
turn on low beam lights, and hazard lights
put heater control on max hot, blower on lowest
hold gas pedal down for 10 seconds (dont step on brake)
release gas pedal and start engine
instrument cluster displays message about service function starting
engine will rev up on its own for 11 minutes then return to idle
let engine cool all the way back off and check overflow tank
If this is the procedure to bleed the high temp side then what is the procedure to bleed the low temp side? Thanks.

A90313

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
If this is the procedure to bleed the high temp side then what is the procedure to bleed the low temp side? Thanks.
Itā€™s been a while, but Iā€™ like 95% sure itā€™s the exact same except the last step. Instead of putting foot on brake and hitting start button. Just hit start button twice. So ignition on/engine off.

the low temp side is pretty easy though. .Last few times I just filled it with engine running until I could see coolant swirling in the tank. Then check led a few times after.

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Itā€™s been a while, but Iā€™ like 95% sure itā€™s the exact same except the last step. Instead of putting foot on brake and hitting start button. Just hit start button twice. So ignition on/engine off.

the low temp side is pretty easy though. .Last few times I just filled it with engine running until I could see coolant swirling in the tank. Then check led a few times after.
Thanks for the quick reply. Iā€™ll give it a go

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Okay so these procedures worked but how do I know if I should repeat the procedure to try and flush out more air? The car did tell me the process was complete though after I ran it and it told me I needed to add more coolant a couple of times so I did that and ran the process again until it didnā€™t tell me I was low anymore. However, I am hearing weird sounds coming from the engine after shutting it off, like either air bubbles or boiling coolant or something. Any ideas?

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Okay so these procedures worked but how do I know if I should repeat the procedure to try and flush out more air? The car did tell me the process was complete though after I ran it and it told me I needed to add more coolant a couple of times so I did that and ran the process again until it didnā€™t tell me I was low anymore. However, I am hearing weird sounds coming from the engine after shutting it off, like either air bubbles or boiling coolant or something. Any ideas?
As long as there are no overheating issues and the coolant level in the header tank remains stable for a given cold engine temperature then you can be pretty confident the system is correctly bled. I have in the past had to monitor coolant levels on engines carefully and it's important to get a few things as a baseline. Park the car in the exact same position on level as possible ground and check the coolant level at a pre determined cold engine temp. So I let the car cool for around 4 hours and then check the block temp with an infrared thermometer gun and look at the coolant level and record it. If you leave it overnight to check there can be an appreciable difference in the coolant header tank level between a zero deg C and a 15 deg C overnight temp we can get here. If the level remains consistent and there is no appreciable level drop then it's generally good. If there is air in the system then the coolant level will keep dropping until it's purged the air and then remain steady. If the level doesn't stabilise then you have other issues or the system is grossly air contaminated. Don't try coolant replacement and refill without using a vacuum system filler these days. Systems are too complex to use the old gravity fill method now.

Phil

Last edited:

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
This is amazing info Phil. I really appreciate it. So it sounds like I definitely need to re-bleed my system, but Iā€™ll be sure to check both systems. Thank you.
Sponsored