Current tuning options available to the public

Of the ones you could purchase TODAY, Which would you pick?

• Total voters

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
From what I've seen, I'd do RK Tunes. The results speak for themselves IMO.

Coming from older Supras and what piggybacks represent (tricking factory computer etc), I'm not a big fan, but then again this is BMW software vs Toyota so perhaps that makes the difference.

That said, there is the question of warranty and a flash is definitely going to be something evident vs maybe not with external so...
Sponsored

larrymz3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
From what I've seen, I'd do RK Tunes. The results speak for themselves IMO.

Coming from older Supras and what piggybacks represent (tricking factory computer etc), I'm not a big fan, but then again this is BMW software vs Toyota so perhaps that makes the difference.

That said, there is the question of warranty and a flash is definitely going to be something evident vs maybe not with external so...
$800 for their tune seems like an exorbitant amount... especially since it's a "one and done" - NO adjustability(i.e. different maps). I think the BM3 or JB4 might be the best as they not only allow parameter changes, but, also data logging.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
price is rarely an issue for me on anything of this nature (retune included), but flexibility is a good point. either way, I like to reward those that push the boundaries :)

might be sort of a moot point though because apparently there is an ecu lock now that requires a bench flash to undo, according to Titan. piggybacks are unaffected...

BigTeamBattles

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
price is rarely an issue for me on anything of this nature (retune included), but flexibility is a good point. either way, I like to reward those that push the boundaries :)

might be sort of a moot point though because apparently there is an ecu lock now that requires a bench flash to undo, according to Titan. piggybacks are unaffected...
What's a bench flash? Sorry new to the whole tuning scene. Does the piggyback work if you just plug and set the map?

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
What's a bench flash? Sorry new to the whole tuning scene. Does the piggyback work if you just plug and set the map?
So Toyota sent out an update that prevents the DME from being flashed but only on the premium models or at least that's what I heard. The bench flash is used to get around this.

For a piggyback you can just plug it in and go.

Flash Tune- It literally is making the decisions for the tune.
Piggy Back- Interrupts the signal to the DME. Example- DME thinks it's at 15psi of boost when it's really at 18psi

BigTeamBattles

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
So Toyota sent out an update that prevents the DME from being flashed but only on the premium models or at least that's what I heard. The bench flash is used to get around this.

For a piggyback you can just plug it in and go.

Flash Tune- It literally is making the decisions for the tune.
Piggy Back- Interrupts the signal to the DME. Example- DME thinks it's at 15psi of boost when it's really at 18psi
ohhh gotcha, thank you for the explanation!

imoj1

First Name
Omran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95' Supra, '15 Maserati, '98 Skyline, '15 Mustang, M5
IMO
MHD is the best, i have some thoughts on their aggressive way dealing with the clients, but as long as we use their app, we rarely need them
they have good history in these BMW ECU too
they offer re-flash to stock (if needed to avail anything through warranty package)
they also claim 501 WHP only with tune + DP and race fuel with guaranteed smooth ride.
that said, we need to wait, the fact that they dont have an estimated time to release it, could mean that they are facing an issue right now.

larrymz3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
IMO
MHD is the best, i have some thoughts on their aggressive way dealing with the clients, but as long as we use their app, we rarely need them
they have good history in these BMW ECU too
they offer re-flash to stock (if needed to avail anything through warranty package)
they also claim 501 WHP only with tune + DP and race fuel with guaranteed smooth ride.
that said, we need to wait, the fact that they dont have an estimated time to release it, could mean that they are facing an issue right now.
The issue is that the August update locked our dmes, so, unless you have a launch edition the dme would have to be physically removed and bench flashed.

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The issue is that the August update locked our dmes, so, unless you have a launch edition the dme would have to be physically removed and bench flashed.
Mine is a premium and I didn't have any issues.

It was a great weekend because I was able to get in touch with MHD and get the issues sorted out I was having. The issue I was having ended up being the stupid cable from one of the vendors here:thumbsdown:. A cheap Amazon cable worked perfectly and I was able to start working with MHD finally. I got in touch with CES Motorsports in Charlotte to get on the dyno Friday so I could take it to the strip Saturday. I definitely recommend working with CES Motorsports and will be from here on out.

I was able to put down 477whp and 538tq best numbers with just downpipe and 100 octane. You can check out my instagram or MHD's to see the post. I drove the car 2 hours away to the drag strip, ran a 11.5 on my first pass and she ran great all night then drove it back home 2 hours. No hiccups or issues. My 60ft was 1.8 so I was having trouble getting out of the hole but traction control was not leaving as hard as foot brake. Not enough time to really dial the launch in but I will be back and shooting for 10's.

I'm including a roller pic because race car.

Supra Roller 2.JPEG

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
I was trying to find the answer to this, so I decided to compile a list. Pros / Cons?

Piggyback: outboard ECU done by installing an interceptor harness

1. Titan Motorsports Protune V.1 $599.00
    1. http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tms-mkv-tun100-.html
  2. JB4 Plug and Play Tuner $529.00
    1. https://burgertuning.com/collections/2020-toyota-supra/products/jb4-for-a90-toyota-supra
  3. Vivid Racing (VR) ECU tuning Box Kit $455.00
    1. https://www.vividracing.com/tuned-ecu-tuning-box-kit-toyota-supra-mkv-b58-30l-turbo-335hp-p-152546028.html
Flash Tuning: Supra’s diagnostic port is connected to a laptop and software is uploaded

1. RK-Tunes Performance Tune $800.00
  2. Hydra Motor Works $1,295.00 for stage 1 and 2
  3. MHD Flash Tuning
  4. ProTuning Freaks Bootmod3 $595.00 + $50 for all OTS maps

Add us to the list. We can tune you on MHD no problem. And Ecutek once we release. We can also tune you with our Kessv2 tool (but would require you coming to the shop)

https://twistedtuning.com/products/a90-supra-custom-ecu-calibration?_pos=1&_sid=fe4d53e1e&_ss=r

thread here on the forum: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/twisted-tuning-custom-a90-supra-ecu-calibration.2437/

ChrisD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
A90 Supra, Twin Turbo 350Z, NA 370Z
  1. ProTuning Freaks Bootmod3 $595.00 + $50 for all OTS maps
Can anyone explain what is meant by "they switched over to DME tuning"? Doesn't DME just basically mean the same as ECU, so "DME tuning" is what all of these flashes are doing no?

My local tuner here in the UK has suggested going for Bootmod3 to get more options than we would get with a piggyback like JB4, so I'm keen to know what made someone else move away from bootmod3 and what they moved to.

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can anyone explain what is meant by "they switched over to DME tuning"? Doesn't DME just basically mean the same as ECU, so "DME tuning" is what all of these flashes are doing no?

My local tuner here in the UK has suggested going for Bootmod3 to get more options than we would get with a piggyback like JB4, so I'm keen to know what made someone else move away from bootmod3 and what they moved to.
DME (Digital Motor Electronics) on European vehicles basically means the ECU but in this specific case they are referring to a company in New Jersey called DME Tuning, the customer probably went with one of their tunes.

I went with MHD just based on looking at their history and what they are capable of. This by no means is saying anything bad about BM3 and I think they are just as good but I wanted to go with MHD. I will be going big turbo (bigger than Pure 700 uprgade) and MHD has expressed that they will be ready to go when I am and are already supporting bigger turbos on the 2020 Supra in other countries.

ChrisD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
DME (Digital Motor Electronics) on European vehicles basically means the ECU but in this specific case they are referring to a company in New Jersey called DME Tuning, the customer probably went with one of their tunes.
Ahh thanks, that explains the confusion then.

I went with MHD just based on looking at their history and what they are capable of. This by no means is saying anything bad about BM3 and I think they are just as good but I wanted to go with MHD. I will be going big turbo (bigger than Pure 700 uprgade) and MHD has expressed that they will be ready to go when I am and are already supporting bigger turbos on the 2020 Supra in other countries.
Yeah I'm tempted to make my own manifold (or whatever we're calling the little bit that joins the turbo to the head after the stock internal manifold lol) so I can have whatever turbo I want on it rather than being forced to go with the Pure upgrade like everyone else seems to be doing.

I'll have a look at MHD, but not sure on the availability of that here in the UK. Speaking to two different tuners here, they've both only mentioned ecutek (which is apparently a long way off) or bootmod3 for flashing.

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ahh thanks, that explains the confusion then.

Yeah I'm tempted to make my own manifold (or whatever we're calling the little bit that joins the turbo to the head after the stock internal manifold lol) so I can have whatever turbo I want on it rather than being forced to go with the Pure upgrade like everyone else seems to be doing.

I'll have a look at MHD, but not sure on the availability of that here in the UK. Speaking to two different tuners here, they've both only mentioned ecutek (which is apparently a long way off) or bootmod3 for flashing.
Yes the manifold would be super easy considering the design and I would recommend going with a T4 twin scroll connection. You could have a brand new ball bearing turbo for just about the same price if you can do the manifold yourself. Yes check MHD out as I made 477whp and 538tq with just downpipe and 100 octane. Are you on instagram? If so send me a message @LS3Twins and I'll get you hooked up with the MHD guys, I'm sure they can figure something out for you.

ChrisD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
Yes the manifold would be super easy considering the design and I would recommend going with a T4 twin scroll connection. You could have a brand new ball bearing turbo for just about the same price if you can do the manifold yourself. /QUOTE]

Yes check MHD out as I made 477whp and 538tq with just downpipe and 100 octane. Are you on instagram? If so send me a message @LS3Twins and I'll get you hooked up with the MHD guys, I'm sure they can figure something out for you.
Yeah I made my own manifolds for my twin turbo 350Z so this should be relatively easy in comparison like you say :)

Are you on instagram? If so send me a message @LS3Twins and I'll get you hooked up with the MHD guys, I'm sure they can figure something out for you.
Thanks I'll send you a message, my name on there is ChrisDrift_IG
Sponsored