Custom Touchscreen LCD Gauge: Comprehensive CAN Network Access for Enhanced Vehicle Monitoring

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
What's up everyone!

I'm super excited to share a project that's been my focus lately: a custom automotive gauge system for the MKV A90 Toyota Supra. This is more than a weekend DIY – I've invested serious effort, finalizing the schematic design and PCB layout, and now, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of prototypes for real-world testing. Fingers crossed, the next phase will be diving into software development and GUI creation.

🔧 Custom Automotive Gauge System for MKV A90 Toyota Supra 🔧

GaugeIso.png
USB-CAN-GAUGE-2023-12-19 082544.png

🔩 The Nuts and Bolts of the System

At the heart of this setup are a couple of MCP25625 CAN controllers, key for tapping into the car's CAN bus network. To bridge these with the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W, I'm using the MCP2210 USB-to-SPI Master Converter. This critical piece converts SPI signals to USB, making them readable by the Pi.

🔋 Powering Up with the MP2393
Managing power and connectivity effectively is crucial, so I've chosen the MP2393 step-down converter for its reliability in handling power from the car's 12V system. This ensures the system gets just the right amount of power, which is vital for both stability and safety. Additionally, I've designed a specialized harness that will not only bring power but also manage all four CAN connections. I opted for POE-grade RJ-45 connectors and compatible Cat cables – a bit over the top, but perfect for handling necessary currents and adding robustness. This harness will be routed from the passenger footwell, snaking its way behind the center console, and emerging right behind the iDrive screen. This strategic placement and routing are essential for maintaining a clean and unobtrusive setup while ensuring a reliable and efficient connection to the vehicle's systems.

🛠 Mounting Solution

I've come up with a neat solution to mount the custom touchscreen LCD gauge using the back bezel of the iDrive screen. By reverse-engineering this bezel, the gauge will integrate flawlessly, looking like a factory-installed part of the dashboard. It's all about maintaining the sleek look of the car's interior while ensuring stability and reliability.

USB-CAN-GAUGE-2023-12-19 111551cropped.png
Note: The gauge face and 3D model for the mounting solution are currently just proofs of concept and are subject to change.
Future Thoughts: I'm considering dual gauges for both sides of the screen and maybe replacing the right-hand side one with a vertical rectangular screen.

🌟 What’s Coming Up

Now, I'm waiting for the prototype boards. If they're as good as I hope, the exciting part of developing software and designing the GUI begins. This interface will make interacting with the CAN data easy and engaging.

This is my first time sharing this project, and I'm eager to see how it evolves. I'll keep you all posted, especially once I delve into the software aspect. If you've got any ideas or feedback, I'm all ears!

Catch you later with more updates!​

USB-CAN-GAUGE-2023-12-19 082544.png

GaugeIso.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
If its reliable, can show lots of concurrent metrics on the screen, and auto-dims, you have my money.
reliability is key in this thing, I am literally building it from ground up for reliability, from choosing robust automotive rated components to making sure it has a sturdy and OEM+ look and feel.

As far as displaying ALOT of information, that is the reason why i chose to have 2 CAN controllers, to have the ability to connect not only to D-CAN but also PT-CAN, we will have access to standard PIDs as well as BMW Enhanced PIDs and Powertrain data, unfortunately we are working with limited screen space, it wont look good and wont be practical to show more than 2 metrics at the same time on the screen, but rest assured that you will be able to flip through them like pages in a book(touchscreen)

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
unfortunately we are working with limited screen space, it wont look good and wont be practical to show more than 2 metrics at the same time on the screen, but rest assured that you will be able to flip through them like pages in a book(touchscreen)
Just looking at your mock up, i could see 3 easily. 1 as a ring, then 2 inside the circle top/bottom. That would be neat.

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
Just looking at your mock up, i could see 3 easily. 1 as a ring, then 2 inside the circle top/bottom. That would be neat.
Oh yea! ill try my best to make the data as customizable as possible, it might not be fully fleshed out when it launches, but i have plans to support this long term and will release updates for it.

working on UI for embedded devices is a pain in the A**, but i think i have found a very good solution. Will update in about a week when the prototypes get here and i can start tinkering.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Super cool. Would love to see what data items you are planning. I have also been working on more robust BMW centric CAN items for datalogging.

Are you also planning on datalogging abilities or just display?

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
Super cool. Would love to see what data items you are planning. I have also been working on more robust BMW centric CAN items for datalogging.

Are you also planning on datalogging abilities or just display?
Thanks man! I actually stumbled upon your and TYRFRYRs spreadsheet, have been looking through it, when I start sniffing, I’ll update the sheet too.

I am planning for data logging, track features, draggy like features,

will be adding a accelerometer,super accurate GPS module and other things.. the device will have I2c protocol lines broken out to a connector so the community can connect any I2c sensor your heart desires.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Thanks man! I actually stumbled upon your and TYRFRYRs spreadsheet, have been looking through it, when I start sniffing, I’ll update the sheet too.

I am planning for data logging, track features, draggy like features,

will be adding a accelerometer,super accurate GPS module and other things.. the device will have I2c protocol lines broken out to a connector so the community can connect any I2c sensor your heart desires.
That's awesome! If you need a test car, please let me know! :)

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
Interested! Any plans to open source the software?
I can and probably eventually will, but that won’t do any good to anyone as the software will be based on my custom PCB, this isn’t something that can work on a bare raspberry pi, I will provide diy kits in the future though.

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
This looks fantastic! I love how well thought out it is thus far.

As others have stated, being able to see multiple metrics at once would be huge. The only other gauge on the market that can do so is >599€ and doesn't seem all that polished. So if this has that functionality and maybe some sort of flashing animation for warnings while being under 600€, you can take all my money 🙂

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Sidenote: do you have some sort of social media we can follow for updates and such?
Sponsored