Datalogging - Lap times and vehicle telemetry all in one!

TYRFRYR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
thesecretingredient.neocities.org
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Geat News!! There is now access to BMW Enhanced PIDs that extend the data we can log from the DME. So far we have the DME PIDs for the B48, B58 and S55.

We posted a write up on BMW CAN bus data here: The SECRET Ingredient!

For those out there already running RaceCapture Hardware, you're in luck!! We're currently testing a Lua script that will allow you to retrieve BMW Enhanced PID data!! Once the script has been tested, we'll post it to the website as well as upload it to RaceCapture as a scripting preset!!

Enjoy!!!
Sponsored

TYRFRYR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Thanks razorlab! All I care about is throttle position, brake (%) and steering (degrees). So if I can get that info from OBDII I'm happy :D
Unfortunately the only item in that list available from Service 0x01 OBD-II is TPS.

All three are available via PT-CAN or Service 0x22 OBD-II. Although the Brake value is in Pressure (Front and Rear).

Personally, I don't monitor TPS because it isn't a true driver input. It's controlled by the DME. For True Driver Input, you should monitor APP (Accelerator Pedal Position).

theQuaybee

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 18 Audi Q7, 15 VW GTI
CAN is a twisted pair so use the yellow/black wire that is twisted with the yellow/white wire.

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 3.08.40 PM.png
Haha, so turns out there are several black/yellow wires. I tried to tap the wrong one both times. 😂

IMG_0014.jpeg

And just like that, it all works! Huzzah!!

IMG_0015.jpeg

Last edited:

theQuaybee

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That is because you weren't tapping the *twisted pair* before, like I mentioned. ;)
Lol exactly, after you told me that I went back in and sure enough, I had tried all but the right cable (the one in the twisted pair)
In my defense, the other two were more exposed, but yeah, didn’t realize they were a twisted pair. Thanks a ton for this write up and the replies.

theQuaybee

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Another question for you. Mine pulls power from OBDII. This also means it stays on 24/7 unless I unplug from OBDII. Do you also have this “issue”?

I used it at my first track day this weekend. The GPS wasn’t near as accurate as I expected for mounting the antenna on the roof:

IMG_0368.jpeg

I had several drops in GPS quality almost every lap seemed like. I read through the user manual tips for GPS signal, but I was curious if you had seen this. The unit was powered on all day (because OBDII power), so it should’ve had plenty of time to calibrate?

TYRFRYR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Another question for you. Mine pulls power from OBDII. This also means it stays on 24/7 unless I unplug from OBDII. Do you also have this “issue”?

I used it at my first track day this weekend. The GPS wasn’t near as accurate as I expected for mounting the antenna on the roof:

IMG_0368.jpeg

I had several drops in GPS quality almost every lap seemed like. I read through the user manual tips for GPS signal, but I was curious if you had seen this. The unit was powered on all day (because OBDII power), so it should’ve had plenty of time to calibrate?
If you are using a Track MK3, there was a firmware issue with 2.19 (I worked the issue with a friend that was seeing the same GPS issue). He applied a Beta update that was pre 2.20 and it fixed the GPS drop issue. I'm guessing the Beta revisions were included in 2.20.

theQuaybee

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you are using a Track MK3, there was a firmware issue with 2.19 (I worked the issue with a friend that was seeing the same GPS issue). He applied a Beta update that was pre 2.20 and it fixed the GPS drop issue. I'm guessing the Beta revisions were included in 2.20.
Just to circle back to this, that was indeed the issue. Thank you. I'm really a fan of this product thanks to this tutorial. The only thing I seem to be missing is transmission temp, but I haven't gotten around to really playing with it and trying to find it myself yet.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

IMG_0368.jpeg

My solution has always been receiver driven, increasing the pings per second. 10 Hz being the most common. If doing this on track, you’ll definitely need more than 1 Hz. I used the Dual GPS in the Supra and it worked just fine. Pairs with any Bluetooth device. Can place it anywhere in your car. Some mount it right behind our infotainment screen.

Question 🙋‍♂️ What are y’all using to increase your refresh rate? I’ve always bought a receiver capable of 10 Hz positioning. Dual GPS back in 2013 👇

Dual Electronics XGPS160 Multipurpose Universal 5 Device Bluetooth GPS Receiver https://a.co/d/1fxEbIz

before that my Aim and now using the Garmin Catalyst. Kirk’s pic above appears to be the standard 1 Hz capture used on every device, phones, cars, you name it.

https://www.furuno.com/en/gnss/technical/tec_rate

1 Hz diagram below - which many apps will attempt to use clock correction estimates to fill in the gaps

IMG_2179.jpeg

And 10 Hz with a racing, aviation or marine receiver = accuracy needed at higher speeds while cornering (in our case)

IMG_2178.jpeg

Last edited:

TYRFRYR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Question 🙋‍♂️ How are y’all improving your refresh rate?
The Gen 3 RaceCapture devices have built in GNSS receivers capable of 10 Hz (and higher with optimal signal quality). The issue was firmware related on the Track Mk3 device and has been resolved in the most recent firmware release.

I personally have a Track Mk2 which uses GPS and routinely get 25 Hz GPS update rates.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The Gen 3 RaceCapture devices have built in GNSS receivers capable of 10 Hz (and higher with optimal signal quality). The issue was firmware related on the Track Mk3 device and has been resolved in the most recent firmware release.

I personally have a Track Mk2 which uses GPS and routinely get 25 Hz GPS update rates.
Damnnnnnn…. And I thought 10 Hz was fast 😂 That’s fantastic dude! How’s the data logging with it, for driving on track, comparing laps?

TYRFRYR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
How’s the data logging with it, for driving on track, comparing laps?
Personally, I love the Platform!! My setup is tied to the PT-CAN as well as the D-CAN.

Supra MKV RaceCapture Track Mk2

The PT-CAN Data logging is as fast as the vehicle ECU publishes the data on the BUS.

The D-CAN (OBDII) Data logging depends on the individual PID configuration. After some PID tuning, this PID list:

Code:
    [ 0x4205 ] = {0x12, 'Boost',  50, 2, 0, 30,    'psi', 'u', 1,882.526,-14.696},
    [ 0x4650 ] = {0x12, 'TFT',    1,  1, 0, 300,   'F',   'u', 1.35, 1, -54.4},
    [ 0x56D7 ] = {0x12, 'FRP',    1,  1, 0, 50,    'MPa', 'u', 1, 500, 0},
    [ 0x580F ] = {0x12, 'IAT',    1,  1, 0, 200,   'F',   'u', 1.35, 1, -54.4},
    [ 0x586F ] = {0x12, 'EOP',    5,  1, 0, 100,   'psi', 's', 14.696, 1013.25, 0},
    [ 0x5889 ] = {0x12, 'Lambda', 50, 2, 0, 2,     '',    'u', 16, 65535, 0},
    [ 0x5890 ] = {0x12, 'CRT',    1,  1, 0, 300,   'F',   'u', 1.35, 1, -54.4},
    [ 0x59FA ] = {0x12, 'Spark',  25, 1, nil, nil, '*',   's', 0.75, 1, 0},
Updates (on average) as follows:
  • Boost, Lambda - 70 ms
  • Spark - 100 ms
  • EOP - 250 ms
  • TFT, FRP, IAT, CRT - 900 ms

EOP - Engine Oil Pressure
TFT - Transmission Fluid Temperature
FRP - Fuel Rail Pressure
IAT - Intake Air Temperature
CRT - Coolant Return Temperature (Radiator Exit)

BMW CAN Bus Data Information

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Personally, I love the Platform!! My setup is tied to the PT-CAN as well as the D-CAN.

Supra MKV RaceCapture Track Mk2

The PT-CAN Data logging is as fast as the vehicle ECU publishes the data on the BUS.

The D-CAN (OBDII) Data logging depends on the individual PID configuration. After some PID tuning, this PID list:

Code:
    [ 0x4205 ] = {0x12, 'Boost',  50, 2, 0, 30,    'psi', 'u', 1,882.526,-14.696},
    [ 0x4650 ] = {0x12, 'TFT',    1,  1, 0, 300,   'F',   'u', 1.35, 1, -54.4},
    [ 0x56D7 ] = {0x12, 'FRP',    1,  1, 0, 50,    'MPa', 'u', 1, 500, 0},
    [ 0x580F ] = {0x12, 'IAT',    1,  1, 0, 200,   'F',   'u', 1.35, 1, -54.4},
    [ 0x586F ] = {0x12, 'EOP',    5,  1, 0, 100,   'psi', 's', 14.696, 1013.25, 0},
    [ 0x5889 ] = {0x12, 'Lambda', 50, 2, 0, 2,     '',    'u', 16, 65535, 0},
    [ 0x5890 ] = {0x12, 'CRT',    1,  1, 0, 300,   'F',   'u', 1.35, 1, -54.4},
    [ 0x59FA ] = {0x12, 'Spark',  25, 1, nil, nil, '*',   's', 0.75, 1, 0},
Updates (on average) as follows:
  • Boost, Lambda - 70 ms
  • Spark - 100 ms
  • EOP - 250 ms
  • TFT, FRP, IAT, CRT - 900 ms

EOP - Engine Oil Pressure
TFT - Transmission Fluid Temperature
FRP - Fuel Rail Pressure
IAT - Intake Air Temperature
CRT - Coolant Return Temperature (Radiator Exit)

BMW CAN Bus Data Information
That’s a lotta info! Can you see all of it in one place, say in an overlay format for the track?Assuming the idea is to have the same setup as Bryan.

My bad… I went back and saw it on the 1st page. Brilliant that you can replicate what he did!!! And why I’m using the Garmin Catalyst. Don’t mind me 🤦🏼‍♂️(reminder to always go back to the title or 1st page of the thread, didn’t realize this is way beyond the capture rate)- Great stuff man 👏🏼

TYRFRYR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Brilliant that you can replicate what he did!!!
Yes Sir!! @razorlab and I have been back and forth working together to help improve our individual setups!! He was a big help in testing the Scripting for OBDII Enhanced PIDs.

If your also into SCCA autocross (which I am), SoloStorm has built in support for RaceCapture Hardware Platforms.
Sponsored