Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Could still operate used and hybrids for decades to come. I imagine manufacturers will just hybrid-up their ICE only cars with some sort of gimmicky bs like my mothers GLC that can only go extra 9 miles on electric only and move on with their lives to bypass CA mandate.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I’m for this! I’ve watched some videos on hydrogen cars and we do kinda have an endless supply of water on this planet!
Cali is going to have to back pedal on that later , watch everyone start switching to hydrogen

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I’m for this! I’ve watched some videos on hydrogen cars and we do kinda have an endless supply of water on this planet!
Water will be the solution. I dont recall the video I was watching, but in Dubai I think they desalinate enough water a day that if we pull the lithium out of it would be able to make 140,000+ batteries with it. Obviously right now it’s too difficult/expensive but hydrogen and being able to pull the minerals out of the salt water/ocean will be the answer to this in the future.

Wasn’t just Dubai, it’s all the water in the world that’s desalinated every day. 8:25 mark or so he talks about it

Last edited:

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Cali is going to have to back pedal on that later , watch everyone start switching to hydrogen
My understanding is JCB has already shown it is capable to run an engine based off an ICE with hydrogen. Imagine how much cheaper it would be to build considering EVERYONE already has everything in place to physically build an engine. Just have to convert the corresponding bits to work off hydrogen. But nope, electric is where the votes are at the moment.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I see both technologies coexisting. Actually several. While *new* gasoline powered cars won't be sold after 2035 there will still be plenty of them in circulation and by then E-fuels may have become easier to produce and price far lower than Porsche's current $40/gal figure.

The heavy industrial sector on land, sea and air will need battery hydrogen fuel cell and hydrogen internal combustion solutions for the foreseeable future to overcome the issues of battery weight at such huge scales so there is more than likely going to be much more built out production and refueling infrastructure which some hydrogen ICE vehicles should be able to use.

And in addition to all of that... battery electrics which should start getting a lot better than they are now and those will more than likely be the most common form of propulsion for *most* people's brand new vehicles. Also the densest areas of major city centers might mandate them*.

(*Note that as far as I know, if you wanted to, there is nothing stopping anyone from taking, say, even a 1960 Cadillac Coupe De Ville that's been EV converted and driving THAT around in an EV-only zone.)

What's interesting is that in addition to BEVs and FCEVs the California mandate DOES leave open the possibility for hydrogen ICE solutions regardless of how popular or super niche they turn out to be. One assumes that as long as it can be proven that they produce total zero emissions (meaning even accounting for oil blowby through piston rings on *new* hydrogen ICE engines) that they'll allow it.

The European Union on the other hand seems to have legal wording at the moment that doesn't make a distinction between gasoline and diesel ICEs and any hydrogen powered ICE so unless that is amended it just might not be legally allowed on the streets in the EU... for brand new 2035+ vehicles at least.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. The bleeding edge battery and motor tech as well as Dodge's recent approach with driveline sound amplification and a multi-speed transmission as well as the Toyota GR, Lexus and Hyundai approach to EVs that aren't soulless semi-autonomous bubble cars interest me greatly but I do hope this zero emission hydrogen ICE approach also works out well at least for attainable niche cars, classics, etc.

PaulFRDE

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red Supra 3.0 2022, Black BMW 116i 2022
Water vapor has at equivalent mass 3 times more greenhouse effect as CO2. It is also from far the biggest cause of greenhouse effect (something like 90% if we take the clouds into account).
I think our politicians/elites will just try to punish us whatever the reason until we all ride electric bikes and eat dead bugs 🤣

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Water vapor has at equivalent mass 3 times more greenhouse effect as CO2. It is also from far the biggest cause of greenhouse effect (something like 90% if we take the clouds into account).
I think our politicians/elites will just try to punish us whatever the reason until we all ride electric bikes and eat dead bugs 🤣
Same problems in Germany 🇩🇪 😞
As long as the feds don‘t try to force the States (constitutional intent), we can actually test all these theories out for each State and see which works best. Some may be cheaper, more efficient, better for the environment, or put the State in massive debt and/or fail. Hopefully it’ll stay that way and we can see which State stays ahead of the game, what really works (similar to Covid).

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
Headline: “Following California’s lead, state will likely ban all sales of new gas-powered cars by 2035”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...s-of-new-gas-powered-cars-by-2035/ar-AA11b3Tb

Time to up battery production and power grids! Y’all ready?
This is a frantic push from lawmakers to make things happen. We can't have an electric grid built that fast nationwide to sustain the amount of electric cars they want to be on the road. The demographic will shift for sure but saying 50%+ of drivers will have full electric cars by then is a bit of a reach in my opinion.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
This is a frantic push from lawmakers to make things happen. We can't have an electric grid built that fast nationwide to sustain the amount of electric cars they want to be on the road. The demographic will shift for sure but saying 50%+ of drivers will have full electric cars by then is a bit of a reach in my opinion.
I did a little research on this because I was curious and it seems like the grid will have no issue accomodating the additional load from electric cars. The numbers will continue to rise gradually....this isn't going to happen overnight.

crunchyramen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FD RX7, 2023 Supra
Hydrogen is never going to take off in mass for consumer cars. Maybe for shipping boats and cruise ships. Electric is better in every meaningful way for normal cars than hydrogen. Just the fact that it doesn't need to be transported and stored. And the fact that you can put electric chargers anywhere. You can charge at the movies, at the grocery store, at home, at the dentist. Cant do that with hydrogen.

Also as for the grid, there is a lot of capacity overnight when most people will charge.
Go look at peak power use during the day vs night.

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
I did a little research on this because I was curious and it seems like the grid will have no issue accomodating the additional load from electric cars. The numbers will continue to rise gradually....this isn't going to happen overnight.
Lawmakers are the ones expediting this worldwide and trying to force it to happen like its some salvation mission that will save the world and they could not be more naive.
Sponsored