Death of ICE cars

Blackbeard

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
the prob is china and India they dont give a shit what we do they just going to go about there day Just Pumping lol
Sponsored

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I never really thought of electric motor based cars as something to completely replace the ICE. I always thought that it was another tool to meet a use case that might be beneficial to some folks.

If you are retired and basically just drive to your local grocery store every week, but besides that your car sits in your garage - it might be worth it to you to have an electric car.

If you work in the middle of Arctic, you might need a gasoline automobile to meet your needs. If you tow huge amounts and need quick turnover from empty fuel then you might need a diesel motor.

To me, banning the sale of ICE cars seems to me to be the "Let them eat cake" moment that California needs to slap it back to reality. I remember reading that the average family of 4 makes something like 55k-60k a year - tax payer funded "incentives" do nothing but make the vehicle even more expensive.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I never really thought of electric motor based cars as something to completely replace the ICE. I always thought that it was another tool to meet a use case that might be beneficial to some folks.

If you are retired and basically just drive to your local grocery store every week, but besides that your car sits in your garage - it might be worth it to you to have an electric car.

If you work in the middle of Arctic, you might need a gasoline automobile to meet your needs. If you tow huge amounts and need quick turnover from empty fuel then you might need a diesel motor.

To me, banning the sale of ICE cars seems to me to be the "Let them eat cake" moment that California needs to slap it back to reality. I remember reading that the average family of 4 makes something like 55k-60k a year - tax payer funded "incentives" do nothing but make the vehicle even more expensive.
An electric car would be perfect for my fiancƩ, she works a little over a mile from her job, (when it's nice weather she actually walks, but its 106 out today so she doesn't walk then lol) she doesn't really take any long trips but the longest is still less then 200 miles away to her parents. An electric car fits her perfect. My dad's EV6 fits him perfect because he has about 165-170 miles trip a day for work and can charge overnight, way way less then gas, and he has solar so its pennies for him a day.

But we also understand for some it doesn't fit their driving habits or lifestyles. I believe a lot of the push back on EV's is because so many feel it's the gov pressuring them/forcing them to do it. Most parrot the same debunked myths they heard and refuse to actually do any research. IE coal powered energy charging their EVs in Cali... 0.2% of energy in cali is coal produced. (can be up to 4% for their imported energy, but again that's only 4% of the 32% that's imported)

They have new technology's coming out all the time, a new graphene battery is way way lighter than lithium, holds more power, more efficient. can charge 0-80% in less than 8 mins for a comparable battery pack in a Model 3 long range. Now that its smaller and lighter you can almost double your battery pack. so now 600+ mile EV's will be common in the future.

As far as the power grid, it shown most charge their EV's overnight, once it becomes way more common you'll have more charging during the day of course. But most experts state the way EVs are charged will not "destroy" the power grid like many think. The biggest myth producer out there is big oil, pushing for EV's to never happen. throwing all that crap out there about how bad EV's are. but if someone does their own research, they will see it's not as bad as they think. maybe at this time not for them. But not the worst thing out there.

Ill miss the sound of engines and all. and i doubt ill ever give up my motorcycles. But if they can make EV's fun im all in for that.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Lawmakers are the ones expediting this worldwide and trying to force it to happen like its some salvation mission that will save the world and they could not be more naive.
True, but it's still not going to happen quickly. It's a fairly complex issue involving manufacturing and infrastructure. My only real comment is that it's going to take time for the mass adoption of EVs, even if the government is incentivizing them.

Last edited:

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
... But if they can make EV's fun im all in for that.
I drove a Tesla Model 3 Performance not too long ago and I can say that it was a lot of fun. It was smooth and quiet for sure, not much in the way of cool noises. But the acceleration was crazy off the line. I could only imagine what a Model S Plaid or even a Model X Plaid feels like ripping away from a stop.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Being in CA, at the heart of electric car central, I have already started prepping for going all electric. Already got my daily electric beater car and solar panels are going on my house next month. I honestly think the Supra is the last ICE vehicle I will buy new. That is also the reason I do not plan on selling it, ever. Cant say the same thing about my electric car. It will be sold when the warranty runs out.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I've driven a few EVs. The Teslas were fun for a few acceleration runs, but then I was over it. I need a bit more out of a car to enjoy it.
If it comes to a point where I can't drive my ICE cars any more....I guess I'll have to find a new hobby. Maybe computers or video games ...?
Most of my travelling is to race events. I won't be interested in that any more either

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
True, but it's still not going to happen quickly. It's a fairly complex issue involving manufacturing and infrastructure. My only real comment is that it's going to take time for the mass adoption of EVs, even if the government is incentiving them.
I think the full swing tilt to EVs is very silly we should be focusing on more hybrids then that. Not just jump to the last step and act like it needs to happen or else.

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
Let's see....I'm in my low 40's. If I buy my last brand new ICE car in 2034 and make it last 10 years (which is totally doable based on my avg annual mileage), I will be in my mid/high sixties by the time I have to worry about hybrids or electric vehicles.....yeah I can work with that. I've no interest in getting one sooner than that

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
PHEVs are the absolute best type of vehicle made except for one, letā€™s be honest, easy to fix problem. Having an ICE kick in while being completely cold. Why donā€™t automakers install an already perfected engine block heater to run off of the electric while putting through town. That way there is at least some heat in the engine by the time you get to the highway on ramp.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
PHEVs are the absolute best type of vehicle made except for one, letā€™s be honest, easy to fix problem. Having an ICE kick in while being completely cold. Why donā€™t automakers install an already perfected engine block heater to run off of the electric while putting through town. That way there is at least some heat in the engine by the time you get to the highway on ramp.
I never liked that concept. It just can't be good for an engine to turn on cold and then have to immediately ramp up in a high demand situation. Honestly, I'd rather just have a fully electric vehicle. And they are so much simpler too. No dual power train to deal with.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I never liked that concept. It just can't be good for an engine to turn on cold and then have to immediately ramp up in a high demand situation. Honestly, I'd rather just have a fully electric vehicle. And they are so much simpler too. No dual power train to deal with.
Thatā€™s exactly what I mean, why donā€™t automakers use an engine block heater or circulate hot water around the engine to warm it up before it turns over. I do agree, they are more complicated that full EV. But I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever feel comfortable going 100% electric.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
If it comes to a point where I can't drive my ICE cars any more....I guess I'll have to find a new hobby. Maybe computers or video games ...?
So just driving an EV? It is almost exactly like playing a video game. ;)

I did a little research on this because I was curious and it seems like the grid will have no issue accomodating the additional load from electric cars. The numbers will continue to rise gradually....this isn't going to happen overnight.
Not sure what research you've done, but I seriously doubt it factored in the coincidentally legislated reduction in legacy production if that was the conclusion. If we didn't worry about reducing the amount of production dependent on fossil fuels until after converting everyone to EVs then I'd agree. However, if we cut by 50% the nearly 80% that is - then we're adding 20-30% more load to a grid which is supplied with 40% less power overall.

That's not a "no issue" accommodation in my book. Far from it. When (or more likely IF) we ever get to 90% renewable/nuclear production... then I could see it working. However, I know for certain that won't happen in my lifetime.

OP
OP
FLtrackdays

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
So just driving an EV? It is almost exactly like playing a video game. ;)

Not sure what research you've done, but I seriously doubt it factored in the coincidentally legislated reduction in legacy production if that was the conclusion. If we didn't worry about reducing the amount of production dependent on fossil fuels until after converting everyone to EVs then I'd agree. However, if we cut by 50% the nearly 80% that is - then we're adding 20-30% more load to a grid which is supplied with 40% less power overall.

That's not a "no issue" accommodation in my book. Far from it. When (or more likely IF) we ever get to 90% renewable/nuclear production... then I could see it working. However, I know for certain that won't happen in my lifetime.
With more taxes - big government can solve all of our problems @digicidal. You just need to be an obedient trusting citizen. They know whatā€™s best for all of us and will spend our tax dollars wisely. Iā€™m sure theyā€˜ve thought this all out šŸ˜œ
Sponsored