Do NOT buy a Supra right now

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Are we talking PDK levels of aggressive here?
Probably a ZF8HP with close ratio gears or a shorter final drive. Something similar to what happened to the BRZ/86 mid-cycle.
Sponsored

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Probably a ZF8HP with close ratio gears or a shorter final drive. Something similar to what happened to the BRZ/86 mid-cycle.
Which reminds me, will the Supra get an aero kit like the BRZ/86?
Toyota_GT86Aero_09-t.jpg

Quicksilver

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
future: 2020 Supra
Just heads up to you guys in TX or near TX. If you are a member of Costco you know they have an auto buying program that can save you BIG$$$. Just got off the phone with Costco Auto buying and was told that as of right now the only dealer participating in their program for the Supra is in Hurst TX. Freeman Toyota. I wish it was closer to me but that's ok I need to sell my truck first before the Supra. That should be enough time for a dealer near to be on be on the Costco program.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I am comfortable buying one now if no manual is going to be offered. Everything else I can "update" myself without butchering the car.

acadapter

First Name
A.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tesla Model X
Just heads up to you guys in TX or near TX. If you are a member of Costco you know they have an auto buying program that can save you BIG$$$. Just got off the phone with Costco Auto buying and was told that as of right now the only dealer participating in their program for the Supra is in Hurst TX. Freeman Toyota. I wish it was closer to me but that's ok I need to sell my truck first before the Supra. That should be enough time for a dealer near to be on be on the Costco program.
If I was not trying to score an LE I would absolutely do this. The Buyer's Program is also available through AMEX, Sam's, and if you are eligible, the UBS (United Buyer's Service). The dealers associated with UBS are contractually obligated to sell at a certain price (which is usually Invoice + 1% on average).

RotaryShinka

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FD RX7 and RX8
Interesting. I never heard of this program but I am on a waiting list at Freeman Toyota for a Premium. I’m a bit skeptical about receiving any discounts for the Supra. I may have to renew my Costco membership if thats the case.

whostorm05

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 1991 Pontiac TransAm
Interesting, I tried it for a LE and got a message "Unfortunately, none of the dealerships in your area meet our strict pricing requirements for the model you selected." Oh well.

Quicksilver

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
future: 2020 Supra
I got the same message when I did it in my area. This is why I called Costco and was told that the only dealer at this time participating in the program is Freeman in TX. If you don’t live within a 50 mile radius near Freeman Toyota it’ll give you that message.

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
No manual on the GRMN... disappointing but... ok. I did more or less expect that and I get it given the track machine focus and intention for that trim level.

...Just so long as a regular trim level manual gets released with the standard 3.0L engine. I would think that's a modest and realistic expectation of Toyota for this car, since it's not a gas-electric hybrid that would even further complicate including a manual gearbox.

Although there has been my hope that with the new M3 and its S58 twin turbo engine that will offer a manual in lower power tune than the M3 AWD model there might be a drop-in driveline that Toyota could use to include a manual. Or... the existing M2 Competition 6MT driveline.

There are only so many years within which they can still offer this option. A standard A90 3.0L with a manual and no other trim levels without an automatic (or DCT) would be just fine.