does aftermarket exhaust require an unlocked ecu?

ayoh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Considering dipping my toes in aftermarket parts and was wondering if the locked ecu would cause issues. Considering getting the HKS or akrapovic but dont want CEL. Also would taking in my car for service at a dealer create any issues with an aftermarket exhaust?
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
No, a catback exhaust won't cause issues to the car or the service.

If you end up with a serious issue down the line that'd trigger warranty, then, solution/warranty acceptance will depend on the service manager. Chances are with an exhaust you'd be fine...

Having said this, downpipe may be a different story. It's hooked up to the turbo. Parts are disassembled by god knows who. Any damages, loose parts, etc. may be enough cause for dealer to not accept warranty. But then per some laws, which was even mentioned in this forum, you could force dealer to accept.

I've also seen dealers accepting to install the said parts themselves and accept warranty. Again it'll depend on your relationship with service manager, tech, etc...

In short, you should be ok.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Considering dipping my toes in aftermarket parts and was wondering if the locked ecu would cause issues. Considering getting the HKS or akrapovic but dont want CEL. Also would taking in my car for service at a dealer create any issues with an aftermarket exhaust?
no CEL code when changing the exhaust, no tune needed either.

You get a CEL if you change the downpipe, unless you get a downpipe with a no CEL guarantee (Acive Autowerke, CG Precision) or a flash tune

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
if the exhaust does have Valvetronic control, you'll get a passive CEL for the Exhaust flapper if you leave it disconnected. thats about it in regard to Catbacks.
Sponsored