Driver Assistance Support Reduced - Pedestrian and Frontal Collision (lasting)

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Hi all,

I've had my Supra for just a bit over a month now. A couple of weeks ago, I got a Driver Assistance Support Reduced error on the car. I know these things happen, and BMWs are famous for it, so I crossed my fingers that it would magically go away, and finally made an appointment for service (for both this and the stupid 'replace battery' warning) last week.

Appointment was for this morning. The tech took a look, and the radar bracket is bent. Total for the bracket, replacement, and calibration is around $1000. I've already approved the work, as I want it back and fully functional ASAP, but more importantly, I'm curious about how delicate that bracket could possibly be!

Since I've owned the car, purchased with 12 miles on the odometer, I've only had one event that I could possibly imagine would have bent the bracket. I live in the Charlotte, NC area, and bought the car from Wilmington, NC, about 3 hours away. On my drive home, someone kicked up a piece of tire, which hit my front bumper directly - on the OTHER side. I know this, because I cleaned the rubber marks off of the driver side of the bumper. :)

Now, since that was the day I bought the car, that was ~3 weeks before the error came on, which doesn't make sense to me. All systems functioned great until the day the warning popped up. Literally the only other event I've experienced with the car, was driving in the deluge of rain we had a couple of times in Charlotte that weekend. I drove through deep enough water that day to definitely be plowing it a bit with the front bumper, but there were no impacts or anything.

When the error came on, it was after the rain had mostly stopped, on the way back home, on a mostly smooth and dry road. I have pictures, so I know the bracket is definitely bent. So, again, I ask - how delicate is that bracket? Or, is the system resilient, where it may have held its calibration, and then the radar slightly moved later down the road? I don't usually park anywhere that would let someone hit the front-end of my car in a parking lot, but it's not impossible. The SA did say that there is absolutely zero physical damage to the outside of the bumper.

Ultimately, I'm trying to determine for sure if this could have been from something I did (taking that tire to the front ~3 weeks before the error, 'fording' water ~2 hours before the error, etc.), or if it could have been bent from the dealership, or even from improper assembly at the factory. I know folks have had issues with the X3M, and having the wrong brackets installed at the factory in the rear, etc.

Edit - Just talked to the Supra tech, who said they ARE very delicate (just sheet metal), but there is virtually no way it got hit from the outside and bent like this. It would have had to have been pushed up from underneath in a 'very precise way'. Any thoughts on how I should proceed with that info?
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Well if tech said it's not your fault, then get it replaced recalibrated by factory warranty...

OP
OP

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Well if tech said it's not your fault, then get it replaced recalibrated by factory warranty...
Nah - he was VERY careful with his wording. He's not going to submit it for a warranty claim because, in his opinion, if it was bent before delivery, the selling dealer should have caught it.

I would contact Toyota Corporate, explain the situation, and ask that you be reimbursed as part of warranty work. It's worth a shot. Worst they can say is no.
Thanks! Yeah, that was my thought. Get the car back ASAP, then push for a reimbursement.

OP
OP

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Any updates on this?
Not sure what there is to update on this. The situation and resolution are all in the first post. Car was fixed by replacing the bent bracket and has not had an issue since.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Did the frontal collision go away? Mine has been acting up since I got my laser jammers installed. Took it back to the shop and they made sure everything was connected still; the code went away for a few days. Now itā€™s back and backup sensors also not working.

Id like to take it into Toyota but I know itā€™ll be a big fight since I messed with the electronics

OP
OP

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Did the frontal collision go away? Mine has been acting up since I got my laser jammers installed. Took it back to the shop and they made sure everything was connected still; the code went away for a few days. Now itā€™s back and backup sensors also not working.

Id like to take it into Toyota but I know itā€™ll be a big fight since I messed with the electronics
Yes, the bent bracket being replaced corrected the issue, which never recurred.
Your laser jammers are almost certainly causing your issue. You have a radar on the front of the car for the frontal collision and adaptive cruise, and several radars on the front and rear bumpers for parking assist. Not sure how that would all work with a radar jammer.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Yes, the bent bracket being replaced corrected the issue, which never recurred.
Your laser jammers are almost certainly causing your issue. You have a radar on the front of the car for the frontal collision and adaptive cruise, and several radars on the front and rear bumpers for parking assist. Not sure how that would all work with a radar jammer.
I have the uniden r7 radar detector but no radar jammers (donā€™t want the prison time)

I do have laser jammers, common misconception but major difference. I donā€™t believe my laser jammers sends any signal besides infrared. It may have to do with the cameras being disconnected for a period of time, not sure if the computer liked that very much. The only problem is that my car canā€™t get the update recall done until that problem is fixed first.. shot myself in the foot

OP
OP

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
I have the uniden r7 radar detector but no radar jammers (donā€™t want the prison time)

I do have laser jammers, common misconception but major difference. I donā€™t believe my laser jammers sends any signal besides infrared. It may have to do with the cameras being disconnected for a period of time, not sure if the computer liked that very much. The only problem is that my car canā€™t get the update recall done until that problem is fixed first.. shot myself in the foot
Got it, sorry, Iā€™m a bit tired. Well, you know what they sayā€¦ if you accidentally kick the leg of your bed, and then your foot suddenly hurtsā€¦ itā€™s probably something you ate.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Crazy I had this pop up before. I believe someone bumped my car with a cart in a parking lot since the radar sensor was shifted. I pulled the bumper off and realigned the sensor and made sure all connectors were connected and tight, it went away shortly after a 50 mile drive

E90EEF4D-F730-4F93-A750-AC5526876427.jpeg

mr_party21

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 2022 Supra
Here is my story, hopefully it will help someone out there.
I got my 22 supra. One day at around 450 miles on the odometer, I went out on a cruise and it was raining.
I found one of those puddles of water on the side of the road that not noticeable at all. Since i could not go around it, i was forced to go thru it.
No problems arose immediately. Next day I got the Driver Assistance Support Reduced error
I made an appointment at the dealership but i could not be seen until a few weeks later.
About 3 days later it went away.
I am about 90% sure that water must have gone somewhere in the electrical system, or sensors and while it was damp, the sensors were not working correctly. Once it had enough time to dry, then the light went off and never came back on. I hope this helps ive driven the car for an extra 800 miles since and not a problem ever since
Sponsored