Driving Mode Poll: Which mode do you guys drive your Supras the most? Normal or Sport?

In which mode do you drive your Supra the most?

• Total voters

Bruins71

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, Highlander,Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
In regular day use (going to work or long trips on highway ) I drive in normal mode as the fuel economy is better.
When I want to have fun, had a crapy day and remember why I purchased a sports car , its SPORT mode .
Pulling into golf course for my tee time -Sport mode :)
I let my 18 year old son take it out sometimes and I know he always drives it in Sport mode. lol

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Can anyone else comment (US and EU cars)

- In sport mode vs normal - exhaust flap on RHS - The AU models the flap is always open, regardless of engine mode. (Except on cold start :'( )
In one of the Adam LZ videos, he starts the car (not cold) and exhaust is only coming out of the left pipe when revving. I assume he was also in sport mode as he launches it right afterward.

Mksupra55

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra mk5
Which one do you guys tend to drive in? I feel like sport mode wears on the engine more and hurts it but I’d like someone to change my mind cause honestly the cars better in sport mode!!

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Well I'm still breaking the car in 95% normal about 5% sport. Sports is great and it's like a manual and holds the gear longer which as manual driver for 20+years I, like a lot.

The normal is great too and economical for cruising around. It's rapid too but less drama and I like that 2x.

Baperrin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Mazda RX8, 2021 Toyota Supra (ordered)
Well I'm still breaking the car in 95% normal about 5% sport. Sports is great and it's like a manual and holds the gear longer which as manual driver for 20+years I, like a lot.

The normal is great too and economical for cruising around. It's rapid too but less drama and I like that 2x.
The paddles still make me wish it had a good old fashioned MT myself.

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Normal mode when I’m just cruising or commuting.

To have fun, Sport mode = transmission in manual.

This way you chose how fast your engine revs when cruising. In sport auto, the car will run like 3000-3200 rpm in 6 at 60 mph, you can almost feel the engine floating and I really don’t like that.

In sport mode, I only use automatic shifting at the drag strip or when I « race » between 2 traffic lights because the transmission shifts at the best moment for maximum traction and acceleration, I really like how it shortshifts when detecting wheelspin in first 3 gears.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
The paddles still make me wish it had a good old fashioned MT myself.
Maybe it's my age, but driving the zf8 is such a pleasure I have forgotten about the manual experience.

I like how when you brake it also downshifts and you can align braking with the downshifts.

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium - White
Sport mode exclusively. Only time it comes off is when my oldest daughter asks for “sporty” mode to go off when I’m dropping her off at school (wants it quiet). As an engineer, yes, the engine/tranny are seeing higher stresses in sport mode. But isn’t this why you bought it? Sports cars are very bad investments so enjoy it to its fullest!
Sponsored