Sport mode or not??

Do you run Sport Mode??

• Total voters

Shelby Miles

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Premium & 2019 Shelby GT350R
I use both Sport+ and Sport Individual. Sport+ has everything turned on in sport modes. When the roads suck, I switch to Sport Individual that's configured with normal suspension. To me having the two modes is a great feature to enable.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Starts in sports mode, steering and suspension is in normal. (honestly my steering in sport of normal feels no different at all, but my boys 2021 you can for sure tell a difference) So sport and the first thing I do every time is back and over to put it in M mode.

I put it in normal mode sometimes when with my girl. I still have auto start stop on, but it doesn't work half the time in normal. But doesn't matter to me as 95% of the time in in sport and also manual mode. Also have all the pops and stuff shut off in normal mode. With the xHP trans flash it shifts much better in normal also.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
The poll question is too simplistic.

I use sport mode when I'm playing around. Balanced mode for my commute.

I'll repeat the caution on Sport+. It was not designed for this car. Bimmer Code folks cheat the limited Supra options by choosing Z4. The ECU and Head Unit only know what this is because they were borrowed from the Z4. But nothing in the Supra is expecting this to be set. This ok for the brightness of the touch screen or turning on/off auto start but questionable for the engine settings. I seem to recall a thread on here about a CLE thrown on a AA when in Sport+ mode.
Hasn’t anyone told you you’re driving a Z4 with different sheet metal and a Toyota badge? Nice BMW!

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Are you still in manual shifting while in normal? Auto start/stop doesn’t happen when in manual.
No once in normal I leave it in auto and all. It always just kind of worked here and there when I got the car. then it started working every time. I went and did the recall and sent the ECU off to get unlocked again once in its only worked if I put it in park. It's not that big of a deal to me to go and figure out why or anything.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'll repeat the caution on Sport+. It was not designed for this car. Bimmer Code folks cheat the limited Supra options by choosing Z4. The ECU and Head Unit only know what this is because they were borrowed from the Z4. But nothing in the Supra is expecting this to be set. This ok for the brightness of the touch screen or turning on/off auto start but questionable for the engine settings. I seem to recall a thread on here about a CLE thrown on a AA when in Sport+ mode.

I used to warn people about Sport + but stopped, it wasn't worth the back and forth. Maybe stock car it doesn't hurt anything but during my tuning with Payne, I decided to code Sport + and when he saw my log, he said something was going on and if I coded Sport + I said yes and he asked me to disable it. that the maps for Sport + on the Supra were not correct and didn't like what he saw... I've brought it up before and just got a lot of push back for it so stopped. Payne saw the issues in the log and said it wasn't great but the "experts" in here know better.......

aspaw1n

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulence Gray
Starts in sports mode, steering and suspension is in normal. (honestly my steering in sport of normal feels no different at all, but my boys 2021 you can for sure tell a difference) So sport and the first thing I do every time is back and over to put it in M mode.

I put it in normal mode sometimes when with my girl. I still have auto start stop on, but it doesn't work half the time in normal. But doesn't matter to me as 95% of the time in in sport and also manual mode. Also have all the pops and stuff shut off in normal mode. With the xHP trans flash it shifts much better in normal also.
Not trying to hi-jack or derail, but how does the xHP trans flash work? I read it somewhere on the forums yesterday. Is it plug and play?

Thanks!

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Not trying to hi-jack or derail, but how does the xHP trans flash work? I read it somewhere on the forums yesterday. Is it plug and play?

Thanks!
Big thread on it:
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/xhp-reviews-and-feedback.13166/

Keep in mind when reading that thread that it was started RIGHT when xHP support released, so the first few pages there's a lot of hesitation before tuners got a chance to test things out and there were some map revisions to smooth issues.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

Thanks!
You buy your license and dongle, connect up to the car and then flash it. It's not hard at all, though with all the warnings they give about battery and stuff some get a little nervous lol. I've flashed many for Speed Industry, and myself and friends. it's not a difficult at all. In my opinion it's the second thing to do to a car after getting the tune. If you can't tune it/don't want to tune it, then first thing to do. I love the way it shifts, if you think it's fast now wait until you get the xHP flash lol

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
sport plus provides no benefits. only a sensitive throttle and a twitchy transmission. XHP is the way for transmission tuning
That’s interesting. I use sport plus for the transmission only, and haven’t found it to be ‘twitchy’, just slightly quicker some of the time (maybe 15%?). I’ve driven it a bit in autox and track in that mode without issue.

is there a specific scenario where it upsets the car?

re: XHP - I like the concept but am still afraid. I feel kinda like a lot of you are (generous, pioneering!) beta testers right now. The ZF8 in the Supra is widely regarded as one of the best tunings of that transmission. I guess I’m afraid of breaking something I don’t understand very well.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
You buy your license and dongle, connect up to the car and then flash it. It's not hard at all, though with all the warnings they give about battery and stuff some get a little nervous lol. I've flashed many for Speed Industry, and myself and friends. it's not a difficult at all. In my opinion it's the second thing to do to a car after getting the tune. If you can't tune it/don't want to tune it, then first thing to do. I love the way it shifts, if you think it's fast now wait until you get the xHP flash lol
Ha, I should have caught up on all the replies before I posted (above). Very cool that things have been smoothed out with XHP since the early days. I stopped following the thread for a bit.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I used to warn people about Sport + but stopped, it wasn't worth the back and forth. Maybe stock car it doesn't hurt anything but during my tuning with Payne, I decided to code Sport + and when he saw my log, he said something was going on and if I coded Sport + I said yes and he asked me to disable it. that the maps for Sport + on the Supra were not correct and didn't like what he saw... I've brought it up before and just got a lot of push back for it so stopped. Payne saw the issues in the log and said it wasn't great but the "experts" in here know better.......
Jesse did my map 6 in sport + and said my logs were spot on. Car pulls strong and smooth too. But he’s no expert

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0 (in transit)
Both normal and sport. Sport for fun roads and occasional roundabout. Normal for day to day driving. In sport I have the trans set to normal. I don’t like how long it holds gears for daily driving. When I’m driving sporty I’m always in manual mode so I don’t need the auto to be aggressive or hold lower gears.

BigRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5 A90
Start always in normal, but it’s nice to have a fun button.
Didn’t use the poll because it’s too generic.
We have to separate manual and automatic shifting.

On automatic shifting it’s like 80% normal and 20% Sport.
On manual 60% Sport and 40% normal.

Sometimes manual is too annoying for me because you are just shifting the gears up and down especially in cities.
Sponsored