Electronics Affecting Traction Control

MAXecutive

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 A90 Supra, '15 F36 435i GC, '97 A32 Maxima, '86 Z31 300ZX
good info ... How confident are you with the traction control issue due to lowering of the car. After installing Eibach springs, I do notice that the car slips a little bit more in sport mode. I've never heard of anyone mentioning this before with BMWs. I never adjusted anything on the height sensors when lowering the car. There are only 2 sensors and both are on the same side, is that even accurate for traction control inputs?

OP
OP
Darth

Darth

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
02 S2k, 09 Aerorace, 07 Y61, 14 1500 Denali
Vehicle Showcase
good info ... How confident are you with the traction control issue due to lowering of the car. After installing Eibach springs, I do notice that the car slips a little bit more in sport mode. I've never heard of anyone mentioning this before with BMWs. I never adjusted anything on the height sensors when lowering the car. There are only 2 sensors and both are on the same side, is that even accurate for traction control inputs?
If you get a chassis error code, then traction will come back on once turned off. Sometimes lowering the car does not trigger this code, and if it didn't then nothing will change.

stevenlammy

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra, GT4 RC-F
A bit late but I wanted to chime in with my experience dealing with a lot of the codes.

Mods to suspension: CKS dampers, Swift springs, Stanceparts tankless cup kit, RSR EDC cancellers, Cusco front sway and full SPL catalog.

Removing the seats for a roll cage will drop two hard codes - the driver and passenger restraint system but those can be coded out.
If your height sensors in driver side front or rear is off, it'll throw a chassis error code so just adjust the sensor to be level with the ground.
I also ran into almost ten codes with the main ones being the rear axle differential lock reduced and traction control along with every possible code for driver's assistance and safeties. I asked the dealer reset codes and after a few drive cycles, all the lights turned off on its own.

For the most part, all of the codes I've run into have been resolved. I'm still sorting through the blinking traction control. Car seems fine but as soon as there's even a bit of cornering load, the traction light will blink at me. Not sure if it's just the AR1s not being heated up enough or if it's actually something related to the RSR EDC cancellers. Fixing the car since I had a little boo boo at Laguna Seca so I'll update this in a week or two when she's back up and running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darth

Darth

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
02 S2k, 09 Aerorace, 07 Y61, 14 1500 Denali
Vehicle Showcase
Removing the seats for a roll cage will drop two hard codes - the driver and passenger restraint system but those can be coded out.
Did you use BimmerCode for that? If yes please explain what did you select and where.

I also ran into almost ten codes with the main ones being the rear axle differential lock reduced and traction control along with every possible code for driver's assistance and safeties.
This is normal after big suspension work. You are correct about all codes, and as soon as you center the steering wheel and do an alignment, it will automatically disappear after around 5 miles.

Car seems fine but as soon as there's even a bit of cornering load, the traction light will blink at me.
This happens in traction control off? What other codes are shown in idrive?

Fixing the car since I had a little boo boo at Laguna Seca
Sorry about that, I saw what happened. Hope you come back stronger!

stevenlammy

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra, GT4 RC-F
Did you use BimmerCode for that? If yes please explain what did you select and where.

This is normal after big suspension work. You are correct about all codes, and as soon as you center the steering wheel and do an alignment, it will automatically disappear after around 5 miles.

This happens in traction control off? What other codes are shown in idrive?

Sorry about that, I saw what happened. Hope you come back stronger!
Haven't tried it yet. Car has been at a friend's house while I'm waiting for some replacement parts. I'll be trying it with Ecutek and I'll keep you updated. Planning to run some Recaro Profi SPG so I'll need to be able to code it out anyways.

I drove a lot more than 5 miles. Halfway to Buttonwillow from San Jose then to Watsonville. Back to Berkeley and straight to Laguna Seca. It was about 10 drive cycles after the recalibration so that might have something to do with it.

Traction control on. The traction light just blinks when there's load on cornering. Not sure if it's because the tires weren't warmed up but definitely was not going any speed to have that light blinking. I'll look into it later but as far as codes, nothing else aside from the seats. Might have something to do with the RSR EDC cancellers but I will check.

Thanks! Car should be up this or next week.

The Racers Line

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS, GLC63, A90 Supra, Colorado Diesel, e91x
I'm able to defeat the traction control I *believe* by holding the VSC button off a second time, after it kicks on the first time. I say believe, because it still feels like the car is intervening occasionally, but its hard to tell if it is that, or that I am just not used to the e-diff.

Scenario, Start car, hold down VSC button until traction is off. Roll onto the track, and it will kick VSC back on, then hold down the VSC button again, and it seems to defeat it for the whole session, or until the car is turned off and back on again.

I see above @CarGuy11 mention's trying to code out the TPMS warning in the display, but I imagine it is just that, the display, and the computer will still see the car as having low tire pressure, and not allow VSC to stay off. Would really love a solution to this.

Pinrut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Clarity Hybrid, 2020 Supra Premium Nocturnal
What happens if I don't install cancellers but leave traction control on? (Getting ready for coilover install)

theQuaybee

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 18 Audi Q7, 15 VW GTI
So anyone figure anything out with this for sure?