Engine Bay Detailing

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Can the detailing experts post up some tips and products for detailing the engine bay?

It seems when I clean mine it just never looks the same as from a pro shop.

-RJM
Sponsored

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten 3.0 Premium, 2020 Lexus RC350 FSport
I would consider myself more of an informed enthusiast than an expert, as I haven't detailed professionally in 15 years, so take my advice with a grain of salt as there may be better methods now.

You typically need a pressure washer to achieve a Pro-like clean of your engine bay. Use a diluted mix of Super Clean (or good all purpose cleaner) to mist down the engine bay and hood, even the liner if you are doing a car with one of those goofy old fabric ones. Let it dwell for 30-60 seconds, then with the pressure turned waaaay down on pressure rinse it all off. You can also take the engine cover off and do it outside of the car so you can clean under it. Just be aware, there are a lot of important connections under it so be careful.

*NOTE* Be careful not to spray too directly at electrical connections as although they are weather proofed, pressurized water can still potentially infiltrate. Probably best to avoid going to town on your ECU and connectors with the washer as well. If in doubt, bag it and then hit it by hand with brushes and what not afterward.

This will get you 90-95% of the way there. The rest is just a matter of getting the little missed spots with a microfiber cloth or some soft brushes and cleaner.

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten 3.0 Premium, 2020 Lexus RC350 FSport
I use carpro perl diluted 1:5 and 1:10 to "dress" the bay. It's magical stuff and goes a very long way when diluted. Not greasy or sticky and really makes the black areas pop.
Yeah, this is the perfect way to get that show car finish under the hood for sure.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
To maintain my engine compartment... I use a .25 diy car wash with nice psi pressure. I simply use the soap selection and then rinse with the water. I also do the same to the underside of the hood. Then dry as normal. End result a spotless engine compartment.

No additional chemicals or prewash/degreasers needed.

I like the clean look ... so I donā€™t spray any dressing on the motor or hoses (just collects dust imo).

I also like to clean the wheel wells and underside the same way.

OP
OP
Loco38SUP

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Thanks for all the tips guys. Iā€™m going to try a few and see how my results go. I always wondered how they got the engine bay to look showroom clean.

-RJM

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
To maintain my engine compartment... I use a .25 diy car wash with nice psi pressure. I simply use the soap selection and then rinse with the water. I also do the same to the underside of the hood. Then dry as normal. End result a spotless engine compartment.

No additional chemicals or prewash/degreasers needed.

I like the clean look ... so I donā€™t spray any dressing on the motor or hoses (just collects dust imo).

I also like to clean the wheel wells and underside the same way.
I use the same method and get awesome results for my purposes. I have a dedicated engine brush and micro fiber cloth that makes this job quick and easy. You can pick up any type of cheap nylon brush to do the job. It's quick and easy to maintain too. Main thing is to not spray directly into electrical parts (fuse boxes, alternator, wire connectors, etc.)

Tip 1: When using a pressure washer be sure to use a wide-fan type of tip when spraying. This will help decrease the chance of water shooting directly into electrical components.

Tip 2: Be sure to clean the engine bay first and then clean the outside of the car afterwards as you will most likely get engine gunk/dirt/sand on the exterior of the car if you are sloppy with the pressure washer.

Tip 3: If you want a quick (waterless) cleaning method, I use a quick-spray instant detailer. I've used Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer and also Mothers California Gold Instant Detailer. I spray directly onto the cloth and brush then wipe the area down. I've gotten great results with this and this is probably my preferred method to cleaning the bay. I will do the pressure washer as a last resort if it's just too dirty. If you do use a detailer, be sure it's a cleaner and not a spray wax version.

JA1479

First Name
Jobin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
use an all purpose cleaner, like Meguiars. Use a brush and wipe with a microfiber. I tend to stay away from pressure washing any engine bay because....you Neverrrr know.

then i just wipe clean to remove all oils etc with an IPA solution or meguiars M122. once super clean i apply a ceramic coat to any plastic covers i can reach etc thne wipe down.

based in Socal.
Sponsored