Everyone’s Opinion VSC TRACTION

Amfchang

First Name
AMF
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Does anybody turn off traction control fully when they are racing or do they just press that button once? I’m honestly scared to turn it fully off cause I hear so many stories of losing control. Some say leaving it alone slows your car down. Need opinions/advice. Thank you
Sponsored

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
If you don't have the skill set to control the situations that the traction control prevents, does it matter if it slows you down or not? If you're going to track days and other events then you'll know how often the TC is intervening and at the same time you're building skills to correct or prevent situations it would intervene in.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Even if you have skill to control the car, anything can happen when you are on track including incidents you are not at your fault at all...

having said that, if you are not competing, there's no shame or remorse having TCS fully / partially on. what you can learn from having TCS fully on during non-competing track day, try to reduce - in other, be smooth on driving - TCS kicking in. TCS only kicks in when car senses it is about to lose control and if you driving smooth, it will kick in less. Once you achieve that, turn it off and see if you can drive as smooth as it was and increase pace.

If you are in competition, you should've already have exercised practice above and your goal is winning. absolutely no reason to have any driving assistant on, except ABS. - there are exercises for ABS as well.

For me, I play between TCS fully on as well as partially on during non-competing track day. When a student/passenger is onboard, TCS is always fully on. no matter what people say, I value safety first.

Last edited:

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
Does anybody turn off traction control fully when they are racing or do they just press that button once? I’m honestly scared to turn it fully off cause I hear so many stories of losing control. Some say leaving it alone slows your car down. Need opinions/advice. Thank you
Great advice in the thread already. If you're at all uncomfortable with turning it off, it's not time to turn it off. As others have stated, build up to that point in a controlled environment (track) to understand the limits of the car. When you reach a plateau where the assists are limiting you, you'll know it.

Personally, I'm full TC/VSC off in both applications and find it incredibly invasive and annoying. Occasionally I forget to disable it before going out in a session and by the second turn I'm wondering what the hell is going wrong with the car :p

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Leave it fully on if you’re on a public road. Work your way down from fully on to partially on to fully off but only on a track setting. This car does like to punish the overconfident.

OP
OP
Amfchang

Amfchang

First Name
AMF
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Even if you have skill to control the car, anything can happen when you are on track including incidents you are not at your fault at all...

having said that, if you are not competing, there's no shame or remorse having TCS fully / partially on. what you can learn from having TCS fully on during non-competing track day, try to reduce - in other, be smooth on driving - TCS kicking in. TCS only kicks in when car senses it is about to lose control and if you driving smooth, it will kick in less. Once you achieve that, turn it off and see if you can drive as smooth as it was and increase pace.

If you are in competition, you should've already have exercised practice above and your goal is winning. absolutely no reason to have any driving assistant on, except ABS. - there are exercises for ABS as well.

For me, I play between TCS fully on as well as partially on during non-competing track day. When a student/passenger is onboard, TCS is always fully on. no matter what people say, I value safety first.
I am extremely grateful for this response. A lot of people are very hesitant to be honest when talking about this subject because of how it is always put down that we can “control” our car as the same way others do when they have it fully off. Unfortunately, I don’t have any track in my area because I live in honolulu. I am, by no means, an advocate for street racing but I am not going to lie and say I don’t race other vehicles when no other cars are around. Do you know how much slip you could have from having pressed the button once? A lot of people said it lets you spin more but it still saves you from spinning out. Just wanted to get your opinion cause you were the first and most helpful.

OP
OP
Amfchang

Amfchang

First Name
AMF
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Leave it fully on if you’re on a public road. Work your way down from fully on to partially on to fully off but only on a track setting. This car does like to punish the overconfident.
Thank you so much for this response as well. Yeah unfortunately, I don’t have a track here cause we are based in Honolulu. Like I said above, I don’t advocate for street racing but I do when there’s no public drivers around. Of course, what’s bad is bad, no matter the situation but I always wondered if you could still lose control completely on the partial off setting. This car has so much torque after a tune and it’s ridiculous.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
You'll be surprised how quickly things can loose control on slick surface.. and on public roads there's really no telling what the condition is around the corner so best to leave the nannies on. Even on my AWD cars unless I am launching the car it is aways ON.

OP
OP
Amfchang

Amfchang

First Name
AMF
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
You'll be surprised how quickly things can loose control on slick surface.. and on public roads there's really no telling what the condition is around the corner so best to leave the nannies on. Even on my AWD cars unless I am launching the car it is aways ON.
Is it really true when people say it’s a lot slower with it on? Or is it different since it’s come a long way with technology

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Unless you're used to handling cars that are a bit angryl, I would leave off or in sport.

I drive mine constantly with it off - but I am used to cars with too much power and 0 aids (My A61 is 1250kg and 350kW - twitchy as hell with my suspension set up)

The A90 is an absolute animal with ESC and TC completely off. Totally different car to drive, I love it.

As you know, the TC and ESC systems will modulate the throttle opening/TPS to control the car.

The transmission shift strategy is also based on TPS.

Shift under wheelspin with TC/ESC in sport (or on) = slow shifts
Shift under wheelspin with off = next gear, more snap, more wheelspin, can spit you into oversteer.

I used to leave my C63 in sport. Even in sport, it has spat me sideways. That thing was scary, but absolutely awesome.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
I always have Sport traction on (single press). Still lets you go sideways when you want but this car is extremely balanced and controllable. I've never driven it hard with VSC completely off, I'll save that for a track cause public roads are too unpredictable as far as road conditions go.
Sponsored