External add-on CD Player with USB Plug and Play

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I usuallu don't even listen to music while in my Supra so no, I do not use CD decks. I only stream Spotify these days when I do listen.

The Supra's stereo is hardly audiophile.. MP3 sounds just fine.
Sponsored

chuckyl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata Nd, Stinger Base and 2021 Supra
Old Guy
I have plenty of old CDs with great music that goes way back! So why not enjoy it in my Supra??

chuckyl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata Nd, Stinger Base and 2021 Supra
NINaudio,
Thanks for the input, now if I can figure out how to get it done. Hence, old guy.

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
I have hearing damage, the someone-turn-on-a-fan-its-too-quiet eeeeeeeeeeee kind. MP3's played over my phone seem perfectly fine to me and even if you played me something that was supposed to be mega lossless perfect I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.

Plus I like to roll down my windows like a maniac to hear the exhaust better.

_Sp1ral0ut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tahoe, Razor E100

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NINaudio,
Thanks for the input, now if I can figure out how to get it done. Hence, old guy.
If you're on a Mac, there was a simple app that coverts all files into mp3 just by drag dropping it. I forget what it was called since I've not had to do that with Spotify but I am sure they are still around.

imho, even converting to MP3's is old news.. everything is now streaming and having playlists on the cloud.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
imho, even converting to MP3's is old news.. everything is now streaming and having playlists on the cloud.
Road trip. Rainy/snowy days, etc... SXM won't work, stream skips or fails to dl. Etc .

Either
1) rip to usb or Supra hdd
2) become premium Spotify, Pandora, YouTube, Tidal member and offline download..

While at that friendly reminder that Netflix, etc. allow for download as well..
Was traveling a lot for work. Spotty hotel wifi, remote area sucky 3G... needed offline. Hate 90s buffering, skipping, quality lowering..

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
This was meant for the Corvette forum, no problem man mistakes happen.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Road trip. Rainy/snowy days, etc... SXM won't work, stream skips or fails to dl. Etc .

Either
1) rip to usb or Supra hdd
2) become premium Spotify, Pandora, YouTube, Tidal member and offline download..

While at that friendly reminder that Netflix, etc. allow for download as well..
Was traveling a lot for work. Spotty hotel wifi, remote area sucky 3G... needed offline. Hate 90s buffering, skipping, quality lowering..
:flame: Yep, that is how I do it. Initially I could not wrap my head around spending $10 a month for 'borrowed' music where I would lose everything if I jumped ship.. but then when I thought about the endless choices in music (good international selection too on Spotify) and ability to download the files locally, it made more sense than spending a lot of money on Apple Music/Amazon downloads and perhaps never listening to those purchased tracks after a while.

I can recall these old tracks on Spotify at any time. I just need to pay $10 a month.. A LOT cheaper in the long run.

eliotrw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ice Grey 3.0
On the subject of flac...

Is there like a correct way to arrange the files on the usb so that you get album art and that it all properly arranged in the correct order?

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Located a simply plug and play external CD Player by plugging into the cars usb port. Thus allowing one to play CD's when a car like the Supra doesn't offer such. I know many manufacturers are phasing out CD players.

Link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BB9YKRJF?ref_=cm_sw_r_mwn_dp_BXEYNJ1Q4ZRFS0Z5SRWG

Yeah I'm a bit old school and still like my CD's. I know many now use Spotify, etc. I have the satellite radio active but get bored and they now seem to have more talk radio between songs than before. Annoying to me.

Has anyone added one of these to a Supra?

Seems small enough to hide it discretely in the car.

Thoughts?
I'm an old man myself, and I say "fuck all these kids and their apps" almost daily. :p I still have all of my physical media (still adding ~200 CDs, ~60 BR/DVD's, ~30 LPs to the collection every year). On a side note, you can often grab 100+ CDs off ebay when another kid decides the Internet will never go down and hard drives will never crash.

That being said, I still rip everything (audio or video) to a huge NAS at home for actual use (and copying and transcoding for car/office/vacation use). I still stream new titles before purchase... but if I like it, it's worth $10-15 to own it forever.

I've got several external CDR drives I can try when I get a minute... but I'm giving it less than a 5% chance of working. While the HU may actually be "a computer" - the odds that they included an interface for reading a music CD directly is almost nil. I'm almost positive it would be able to play ripped files from a data CD you burned... but that would really be :crazy: since USB flash drives exist. ;)

Never looked it up but can say I have probably 20+ CD’s worth of songs, which probably isn’t really all that much, and didn’t run out of space. For some sort of measurement.
20GB (so 18.6GiB) - if MP3, AC3, WMA, etc. at high bitrates that's ~40-50 CDs. FLAC or other lossless formats will drop that by about 25%.
Sponsored