First track day coming up. How much power are you able to push safely without loss of power on the track?

johnq0317

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV 3.0 Premium
Hi everyone, I signed up for my first track day in June and I'm in Texas. I expect ambient temps to be around 95F. I'm at stage 2 Ecutek tune on e50, so my map 4 is max effort, while maps 1-2-3 are somewhere in the ballpark of 380 - 420 HP, up to 500 tq. I was wondering if you guys had any experiences in running additional power on the track and how it held up? I'll be in the novice group running 30 minute sessions. Wanted to avoid any heat issues if possible so I can have a smooth experience but still wanted to play with some of the power I paid for.

At the moment I'm considering just running map 2 for the day on e50 so I run a bit cooler, being about ~400 whp.
Sponsored

OP
OP

johnq0317

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV 3.0 Premium
Wanted to note that I have no cooling upgrades at the moment, but I've read the $$$ intercoolers are the only ones that really matter. Not really in my budget this year.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
Run the least amount of power as possible.

Actually do a cool down laps.

This car doesn't need any additional power from stock to be fun on a circuit, especially if you're new to it.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Hi everyone, I signed up for my first track day in June and I'm in Texas. I expect ambient temps to be around 95F. I'm at stage 2 Ecutek tune on e50, so my map 4 is max effort, while maps 1-2-3 are somewhere in the ballpark of 380 - 420 HP, up to 500 tq. I was wondering if you guys had any experiences in running additional power on the track and how it held up? I'll be in the novice group running 30 minute sessions. Wanted to avoid any heat issues if possible so I can have a smooth experience but still wanted to play with some of the power I paid for.

At the moment I'm considering just running map 2 for the day on e50 so I run a bit cooler, being about ~400 whp.
What have you done for braking? Tires?

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
brake fluid upgrade and stock power.
As an instructor, high horsepower cars are actually counter intuitive for learning real track skills.
I have instructed green drivers in Supras fwiw

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
brake fluid upgrade and stock power.
As an instructor, high horsepower cars are actually counter intuitive for learning real track skills.
I have instructed green drivers in Supras fwiw
This^^^ OP get to know the car first. Its beyond most already. Braking is everything early on as you grow. Get comfortable, find the limits you have before adding further power. The car in capable hands sets impressive lap times with factory power.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
as mentioned above, definitely go at stock power. it's not necessarily the whp, but the wtq that will affect you the most: the behavioral difference of 500wtq vs 400wtq out of a corner is huge! in the beginning, you want to know how you handle the car at the track, not how fast you can go.

brake fluid recommendations Endless RF650 or Castrol SRF React

if your tuner didn't supply you with the stock ROM, you can contact ecutek directly. they took about a week to email me it though. just note to upload a stock 2020 ROM, not reverting the car back to stock tune

have fun!

neverknowsbest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Texas driver here. Stock power in June will be just fine.

Which event are you going to?

Isaleus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT , 2008 Orange GMC Canyon
find a track rat supra owner.

Ask them to ride with you / go for a ride with them. Really opens your eyes for what these cars can actually do.

GR007

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 A91CF, '21 A90 3.0 Prem, '21 Audi RS5, '96 Z3
FYI. I ran my first track day at stock. The biggest issue I had was tire pressure and getting those numbers right. I ran on Pilot Sport Cup2’s so you won’t be able to push your bhp to the max without good traction. 95 degrees and track conditions will dictate what your tire heat up to. So don’t worry about upgrades, make sure your tires can handle your stock Supra.
Sponsored