RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
Any thoughts on Bottas and Russell? I think Russell owned this shunt and overreacted to Bottas, just my take.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Any thoughts on Bottas and Russell? I think Russell owned this shunt and overreacted to Bottas, just my take.
Bottas saw Russell coming, saw his career at Mercedes flash before his eyes, and squeezed ever so slightly. Russell put a tire on the wet grass, instant spin.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Two of my favorite drivers were involved in this while the other 2 were on the podium. On Bottas & Russell, I agree with you that Russell did over-reacted a bit but rightfully so because it could've been more serious. It was Bottas' minor mistake led to major accident. BTW, Max is not my favorite.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looking back at the replays, Bottas did nothing wrong. He stayed on the racing line the whole time and left room for Russell, who just went too wide and clipped the grass. 100% Russell's fault.

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looking back at the replays, Bottas did nothing wrong. He stayed on the racing line the whole time and left room for Russell, who just went too wide and clipped the grass. 100% Russell's fault.
Kinda how I see it. Russell is one of my favorite drivers but this one's on him.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Kinda how I see it. Russell is one of my favorite drivers but this one's on him.
Yeah in the heat of the moment it seems like Bottas squeezed him, but that's just how the track goes because of the kink. But Bottas shouldn't have been there in that car in the first place. Battling with a Williams. It's ridiculous. The best car vs the second worst car.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
It's one of those split-second decisions you have to make as a racing driver, I think. Russell went for the gap, but it wasn't quite there. Not really an unforced error. When temperatures came down, he put his hand up and admitted fault. Honestly, it is hard to be too mad at him. The bigger question like Danny said, is why Vallteri is racing with a Williams... hard to chalk it up to conditions since he qualified 8th in the dry... In this season, when McLaren, AlphaTauri, and Ferrari are closer, being 3 or 4 tenths off your teammate is going to make a big difference...

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™ve heard some chatter on other boards about the possibility of Colten Herta getting a shot at F1. While I think itā€™s exciting to think about an American in F1 Iā€™m not sure how it would play out in a series where the car is often the determining factor rather than the driver.
Any way, kinda wanted to know what you all were thinking, it would be a shame for a driver in a drivers series like Indy to get a seat in a back of the grid car and end up with lower than expected results. Then again it would be exciting for an American to be on the grid!

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Iā€™ve heard some chatter on other boards about the possibility of Colten Herta getting a shot at F1. While I think itā€™s exciting to think about an American in F1 Iā€™m not sure how it would play out in a series where the car is often the determining factor rather than the driver.
Any way, kinda wanted to know what you all were thinking, it would be a shame for a driver in a drivers series like Indy to get a seat in a back of the grid car and end up with lower than expected results. Then again it would be exciting for an American to be on the grid!
I'm sure Liberty would love it and it would raise the sport's profile a bit in the US (though Drive to Survive has surely helped a lot). I'd love to see it too. Herta seems way too talented for Indycar but what gain is there in putting him in a not-too-competitive Haas, even if they are the logical fit and he might get some better results than Mazespin? If they can get back to the Haas of ~3 years ago, then yeah, I like this move. He at least deserves a few FP1 appearances.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Will Buxton's stream of thought..

in my opinion, not likely but would love to see it. and there's a lot of young talents in the queue waiting for opening in F1 seat as well. It's sad to see money will get one into the seat rather than best talent.. I guess that's the name of game..

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
F1 could really do for 2-3 more teams if they could be at least semi-competitive with the teams bringing up the rear like Williams and Haas.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Formula One is a whole other animal. Indycar are Civics compared to F1. Americans in general just can't compete with drivers from the rest of the world. Before you say Mario Andretti, he was born Italian. Guys like Scott Speed, Alexander Rossi, were all getting the same hype, and got nowhere in F1. The only names I can think of that did well in both series fairly recently are Juan Pablo Montoya and Jacques Villeneuve, and Villeneuve had a runaway car at the time nobody could catch. He fizzled out quick after leaving Williams.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Villeneuve is Canadian but same difference lol. Man, I forgot he won a Drivers' Championship.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Villeneuve is Canadian but same difference lol. Man, I forgot he won a Drivers' Championship.
Yeah true! I just meant drivers that are successful in both categories.
Sponsored