RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
I just heard that Juan Manual Correa is going to race this weekend in F3, great news I had no idea he was going to be able after his leg injury. Plus going through that horrible crash...
Sponsored

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
It looks like we lost Turkey, which is unfortunate. In its place, we get another race at the Red Bull Ring, which I think we had last year too.

Coldskeet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gen 3 Raptor / A91 Ref. Blue Supra
I prefer the Bahrain/Yas Marina model where they change the track on the back to back weekends. In Austria they only have the one track configuration.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
The nose looks like a duckbill. ?

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/60318052

In the radio messages, Red Bull sporting director Jonathan Wheatley is heard advising Masi on how to deal with lapped cars that are on track between the leaders as he attempts to organise a restart before the laps run out.

At the time, Red Bull's Max Verstappen was on new tyres behind Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton on old rubber, which meant that if the race was resumed Verstappen would have a huge advantage and would likely win the race and championship.

Wheatley says: "Those lapped cars; you don't need to let them go right the way around and catch up with the back of the pack. You only need to let them go, and then we've got a motor race on our hands."

Masi replies: "Understood."

After the race, Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff gets on the radio to tell Masi that what he has done is "not right".

Masi replies: "Toto, it's called a motor race, OK?"

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
this isnā€™t new info but I find it very odd that no one picked up on it when it was released.
Agreed... I freely confess I didn't know Masi went along with Wheatley's recommendation to restart the race incorrectly. I had always figured Masi was acting of his own accord.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
No different than Toto telling Masi a safety car wasn't needed earlier in the race. That they "conveniently" left out.

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
Ahhh, times like this when Iā€™m glad Iā€™m a fan of racing not a specific team or driver, although I do favor the Honda teams itā€™s due only to my previous life as a fairly competitive motocross racer on Hondas.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Interesting to see the different design directions some of the teams have taken thus far. Curious about who has nailed it and who will be well off the pace....

About a month to go til we are racing again...

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Interesting to see the different design directions some of the teams have taken thus far. Curious about who has nailed it and who will be well off the pace....

About a month to go til we are racing again...
Biggest difference so far is what type of suspension everyone is using. None of the revealed cars will be anything like the cars that will line up in Bahrain. It's impossible to say who will sit where. Mercedes always sandbags at testing, so they'll look off the pace, but probably won't be. We won't know anything till Q3.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
this isnā€™t new info but I find it very odd that no one picked up on it when it was released.
Was missed in terms of impact. Masi's actions correlate directly to Wheatley's input from RedBull then Masi snipes at Toto at Mercedes later on the radio. It just looks really bad in terms of optics.

The FIA at this point in time should have locked down rules on the Safety Car use with respect to restarts. Its not rocket science and its 2022 lol. Oh well. New cars and season/rules are here. Who will get it right with the car, and what drivers will adapt better to them.........thats the real challenge waiting now :)

Last edited: