Front Abs kicking in after new rear tires installed

2quick2020

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0
My car is a 2020 3.0 with 20000 miles and i just replaced the rear tires with new ones. The front are the factory Michelins and still have good tread . My concern is every time i go into a decent curve the abs kicks in the front and i feel it could be very dangerous. the rear tires ars not Michelins . They are Lexani Z rated tires .They are on the cheaper side of performance tires but I Run them on my C6 Z06 alot without any issues. Has anyone ever encountered this and what did you do to fix it ?
Sponsored

AP1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR
My car is a 2020 3.0 with 20000 miles and i just replaced the rear tires with new ones. The front are the factory Michelins and still have good tread . My concern is every time i go into a decent curve the abs kicks in the front and i feel it could be very dangerous. the rear tires ars not Michelins . They are Lexani Z rated tires .They are on the cheaper side of performance tires but I Run them on my C6 Z06 alot without any issues. Has anyone ever encountered this and what did you do to fix it ?
It is not recommended to have different brands of tires on the same car. Supra is very sensitive to what tires are used. Get front set replaced replaced with the same brand as your rears.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
What are your tire settings on the screen in the car? Are the new tires different from stock?

This has nothing to do with mismatched brands, btw, so ignore those comments. It is perfectly fine to use mixed tires as long as:

1) They match across axles
2) The rear rolling diameter is larger than the front
3) The mathematical difference in the rolling diameter (rear divided by front), as compared to stock, is within about 5% of OEM.

Last edited:

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Guys, I put cheap ass shit tires on my car on just one side, the other side has some quality tires, the car is acting weird now, what could be the issue?

The answer is in the riddle. Can you solve it?

ooh ooh. I know the answer!

ChrisMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0
I've been struggling with this issue the past few weeks after adding new rear tires on my car as well. In my case they were Nittos NT RRR IIs 305/35/19. I've checked my alignment, ride height sensors, and tire settings on the screen. Ride height sensors were fine, the alignment was all out of whack but still didn't fix the issue, and my tire settings on the menu are set to manual. I was told by the gentleman that aligned my car that because my rear tires are drag radials and have soft sidewalls that they're probably flexing during corners potentially triggering the abs. He recommended I use street tires with harder sidewalls instead of the radials and that it'll fix my issue. I still haven't pulled the trigger on a new set of tires since the cars at the shop getting a few things done to it and I'm having the shop see if they can look into this issue for me as well. If they can't figure it out I'll order a new set and see if that fixes things.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
ok boys... The supra is fantastic handling out of the box.
everyone wants to mod and be the fastest around town from stop light to stop light.

You can mod these cars to be even faster in a straight line
or
you can mod these to be faster around the corners and or the track.

NOT BOTH

ANYCAR will push and traction control will come on if you put fresh tires on the rear- duh You have fresh stickier tires over powering the turning grip of older front compound

or

guys that want straight line speed and put fat 305s and tire compounds designed to put power down will have handling issues as the front tires and fat rear tires deal and react differently to every day imperfect roads. Really shouldn't be a surprise.
pick your poison
and realize the more you mod a car for a certain purpose the less well it will perform over normal and variety of conditions.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
And just throwing it out there, if your new tires aren’t heat cycled, it takes a bit for them to get to their optimal grip. So if you have new ones in the back, it will take a little bit of normal driving before you start chomping on the brakes or tossing the car into corners. Also assuming your front tires still have good grip left. If the fronts are toast, then replace them all at the same time. That’s the best scenario - all new new tires getting worn in at the same time.

ChrisMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0
@2quick2020 & @ChrisMK5 is your traction control on or off when this happens?
Traction control is on. But it's not like I'm going around a corner at the limit of grip. I'm going around corners at speeds a bus can handle and still getting abs activated. It's honestly a pain in the ass. The only way to stop of it from happening is to turn traction control off.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Guys, I put cheap ass shit tires on my car on just one side, the other side has some quality tires, the car is acting weird now, what could be the issue?

The answer is in the riddle. Can you solve it?
He's fitted new rears only that's "not one side" You should be able to fit tyres in pairs front and rear without any issues.

Phil

BMQ

First Name
Jon Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra Premium
I replaced my OEM rears at 11k - they were totally junk by that point. I've never tracked nor have I ever spun them without traction control off. Just a lot of "spirited" turns especially when hopping on the onramp on my way to work... I too have had the front ABS activate when pushing the car a bit and just assumed it was due to the difference in tread between front and rear. I just couldn't bring myself to replace the fronts when they still have at least 50% tread on them.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
To be clear, you are on the brakes and ABS is kicking in, even if on the brakes in a slow corner?
Sponsored