Got M2... May have regrets

Wj100

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium, 22 BMW X3 M40i, 02 Miata SE
I'm an M car loyalist. I recently took delivery of a G87 M2 that I'd had on order for about 18 months. During that 18 months I picked up a '22 Supra 3.0 and really enjoyed it. So much so that, now that it's gone I miss it.

I'm still in the break-in period on my M2, but my initial impressions are that it's heavy and the S58 may be better suited for the track than the road.

I knew these things getting the M2, but just thought I'd mention it for anyone considering making the switch. The S58 will likely be a hoot after break in, but I'm not sure it can really be fully utilized on US streets.

PS, IDrive 8 is really good... Huge improvement even with lack of physical buttons.
Sponsored

Fuji808

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nocturnal Supra Premium
PS, IDrive 8 is really good... Huge improvement even with lack of physical buttons.
[/QUOTE]

I wish Toyota put the IDrive 8 in the Supra. I really like the G-force meter and the torque/hp/boost/oil temp gauges in sport mode.

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Hi OP, thanks for sharing your impressions. Especially since for most on this forum, I think, we feel positively enough about the joint collaboration with BMW to buy J29. So naturally gravitate to G87 M2, 1M, OG M2s, etc. Just curious where or when do u feel the weight, the most? Auto or Manual? M carbon seats/package? Seemed like all the journos drove around fully loaded ones, which obviously impacts driving impressions.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Over at Bimmer forums everyone hates iDrive8 including me. I rented and drove bunch of vehicles having it... Sure, it's detailed but not what I'd call user friendly and easy to navigate...
I've iDrive7 on my X6. it's definitely better and more capable than iDrive6 and easier than 8.
I tell you what. On 7, you end up feeling, where are there some not so useful main sub menus on the left, wish they could be removed or customized. And that's exactly what BMW seems to have done. Removed all and turned it into an Apps screen when all you need on a daily basis is 3-4 apps...

Good to hear an honest unbiased opinion on M2 vs Supra. That confirms the stats..

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I think it's just a matter of time OP gets familiar with his new car and notice greatness of the M2 which might be different from the Supra and begin to love his car.. and 2 weeks later forgets about us.. :dunno:

GR who? :coffee:

THOOPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20' C43 AMG, 18' Model S, 21' STI, 23' Supra
Do you think you'll be selling it and going back to the Supra platform?

OP
OP

Wj100

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium, 22 BMW X3 M40i, 02 Miata SE
Do you think you'll be selling it and going back to the Supra platform?
I'm going to get through the break-in period, drive the S58 like it's meant to be driven for a bit, and then reevaluate.

It's an automatic (Supra was too) and I drive in manual mode a lot. I think I now realize my driving style is to short shift quite a bit which suits the torque curve of the B58 better than the S58. We'll see if I adjust in time...

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I have a feeling that Toyota purposely did not "upgrade" to the iDrive8 and the S58 because historically, German auto manufacturers have not introduced new generations of engines and electronics/software as bug-free. Consumer Reports noted this as well. They advise not to buy the first year of new generations when it comes to German and some US vehicles.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I have a feeling that Toyota purposely did not "upgrade" to the iDrive8 and the S58 because historically, German auto manufacturers have not introduced new generations of engines and electronics/software as bug-free. Consumer Reports noted this as well. They advise not to buy the first year of new generations when it comes to German and some US vehicles.
Doubt that's the case. Bmw is just not letting Toyota have the newer stuff. All the interior is old gen. We haven't seen any updates to interior including idrive I doubt we ever will.

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
I wish Toyota put the IDrive 8 in the Supra. I really like the G-force meter and the torque/hp/boost/oil temp gauges in sport mode.
[/QUOTE]
you can find those in the instrument cluster developer options but they are annoying to get to.

nashcarr

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra 3.0 PMT, 95 Miata, 2016 Lexus IS300 awd
I almost ordered a G87 M2 myself back in May after I sold my Supra 2.0.

I went with a 2023 Manual Supra instead because:

14-18 month wait, hate the dash board, the weight of the car turned me off. It's more expensive, but I could have saved more to put down while waiting for the car.

I loved the 2.0, so I knew I would like the 3.0 Manual premium even more, plus it saved me 10k. I have a IS300 so I'll travel in that. I only had to wait about 2.5 months for my Supra.

I do like that M2 though!

nashcarr

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra 3.0 PMT, 95 Miata, 2016 Lexus IS300 awd
Doubt that's the case. Bmw is just not letting Toyota have the newer stuff. All the interior is old gen. We haven't seen any updates to interior including idrive I doubt we ever will.
That keeps the cost down of the GR Supra.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
I have a feeling that Toyota purposely did not "upgrade" to the iDrive8
I have a different theory. I suspect the BMW and Toyota have a deal to make the Supra a little less cool than similar BMW models such as Z4. So no I8, no low pitch horn, etc.. Anything to make it feel less refined than their German brothers.
Sponsored