GR Supra resale values: Is the Supra gonna depreciate like the germans? / Expected Depreciation

FlynnZero

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
I think the planned production for the US was about 36k units (before COVID). So not super rare, but also not played out like Civics and Mustangs.
They have not sold anywhere near that number. The most produced last year was 5800 units I think globally. in 20 is was about 5300 globally. Not a lot of them out there.
Sponsored

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
If you have a 20 and get the update your ECU will be imprisoned (locked) like the 21's.
That's 100% not true. This is like the third time I've had to post this link today.

87gpe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Bronco, Tahoe
This car will depreciate. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 2020, 2021, or 2022. Most people buying will not tune, so that ability will not matter except for the rare enthusiast. The only thing that may keep this car from depreciating a good bit is that it’s badged as a Toyota and is selling very low numbers. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s no replacement for this when the model stops production.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Honestly in normal times, yes. This type of car would depreciate a lot. But with the chip shortage, covid, etc Toyota simply cannot make enough and based on recent news we could see this impacting the car makers until 2023 or later. Some manufactures (Ford and GM) have already announced that going forward they will be building fewer vehicles and keeping dealer inventory to 30 days vs the traditional 90-120 days. That means dealers will not be able to rely on high volume and sell cars for little to no profit.

Why? Because they are seeing record profits as they do t have to offer rebates, incentives, or spend billions on marketing. If Toyota goes this path you could see the Supra resale values remain very strong for years.

Nobody really knows. The model has changed.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
If you hold on to it long enough... then just about any clean, performance-oriented ICE vehicle is likely to appreciate. Add in the fact that we're printing dollars faster than shipping toilet paper apparently... and it's nearly guaranteed.

Naturally it will still lose actual value for a very long time... but I can easily see a day when a Supra, Corvette, Porsche, etc. will be worth twice as many dollars as it costs today - simply because the market for a 2-seat sports car is drying up (and has been for years) plus dollar devaluation.

Even with the current uptick due to production shortages - the cost of a used MY20 MKV (measured in consumer goods) is about 8% less than when I bought mine new. Of course, those were the "good old days" when you could fill up the Supra, get a case of beer, and have enough left over from $100 to get a nice(ish) dinner for 2. :rolleyes:

CPI-12mo.png

jmulk

First Name
Jimothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Thanks for the replies guys, for reference I'm also thinking of buying a 2016 Cayman GT4.