Half the Price of a Base 911... More Than Half the Fun?

Wj100

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium, 22 BMW X3 M40i, 02 Miata SE
This is likely a ridiculous post, but here goes:

I was on the waiting list for a Base 911 a few months ago and eventually got cold feet. It's not that I couldn't have afforded the 911, it's just I thought I'd feel guilty about it somehow and also be very cognizant of the amount of miles I clocked.

So, I ended up trading my Alfa Giulia QV for a '22 Supra 3.0 Premium 4 months ago and I'm really pleased with my decision. It's a ton of fun and I don't feel like I have to baby it at all.

So, my question is this... The Supra is basically about half the price of a decently optioned base 992 911. I'm quite certain it's half as good... I'd even say it's 75% as good on most American roads.

Curious to hear opinions from those who have experience with both...

PS, I know the more obvious comparison is to the Cayman, but that wasn't a consideration for me.
Sponsored

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
We're you at MSRP or did the base 992 have a market adjustment? I'm thinking about swapping my 21 tunable for a C2S, but the CPO cars are all over MSRP. Some even 25k+ over.

OP
OP

Wj100

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium, 22 BMW X3 M40i, 02 Miata SE
We're you at MSRP or did the base 992 have a market adjustment? I'm thinking about swapping my 21 tunable for a C2S, but the CPO cars are all over MSRP. Some even 25k+ over.
I was at MSRP for a C2. I'm sure I could have flipped it if I really wanted to...

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I actually had the chance to play around with a new(er) 911 turbo the other morning on the way to work. Iā€™m not saying I raced him, but Iā€™d definitely say more than half the fun šŸ˜‰

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
There are three 911s that run in the same AX locals as me. I routinely SPANK two of them. The third one is a 2020 4S. It probably stickers around 150 or more so about three times what I paid for my Supra. That one is often a tenth or two ahead of me but I have beaten him maybe about every third event or so. Course dependent but overall we are always very very close. That car launches like a rocket though with 4 wheel drive. Extremely cool. Does he have three times the fun? Um, no! For what I use the car for, I get 99% for a 2/3 discount!

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Having test driven the porkers... The Supra put a smile on my face and they didn't!

Great cars, but not as fun to me
And 4wd removes squeaky tyre fun

Choose what makes you happy and disregard numbers

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
Fun and price are not linearly related. Price grows exponentially while fun is linear.

Look back down the food chain and ask if 25-30k car is more/less/equal to 1/2 half fun of a Supra. I don't think the accountant will like the answer. Same is true up the food chain.

Buy the car you want and be happy with it.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I'm dumb and poor so I can only afford a cheeep Supra... and baby it.. :crazy:
Sponsored