Help with negotiating tactics

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2016 Ram Diesel
Email 10 different dealerships, get the best quote, then take that quote to your local dealer. Tell them to match it or you'll buy from the other instead and fly out to get it.
It’s to bad my local dealer doesn’t have the right color right now. I’m going to check to see if they have any others coming in.
Sponsored

Vikatin

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I work in the car business and I can tell you that the supra follows bmw profit margins. 8% off or roughly is invoice pricing, on a 57k car, this is 52k plus some change that is advertised the lowest on cars.com This is the lowest point anybody can advertise their car.
In short, you can get 12% off msrp plus rebates, the trick is that dealers will say yoy get the rebate or "special" 2.9 April financing.
This is false.
Outside banks such as capital one offer aggressive rates as well that can be combined with the 1500 rebate. They just want you to with Toyota because Toyota financial will give the dealer a kickback.
Now you probably will not get your 12% off plus 1500 rebate deal though... why?
Because economics.
The supra has been rising in sales ever since the 2021 model year, even more so increasing from jan-feb. With the spring weather coming, it's officially sports car season. Many dealers will just be at a point where demand for the supra will meet at a certain price point most likely to be invoice and above because that is what people will pay for them. But it is always worth a shot and also be worth shopping outside your immediate area. You may also have to settle on colors as well, such as red/yellow models as red does not turn over as easy as black/gray/white/blue.
BTW, I bought my 2021 white supra Feb 28th at 13% off, I beat the dealer up for a last second unit at the end of the month. They got their goal, I got my 49k supra... without the rebate.
I hope this is helpful, good luck!

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
This is fraud. Don't do that.
Literally got that advice from a dealership. If that's fraud, then it's time to arrest everyone in vehicle sales.

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
Literally got that advice from a dealership. If that's fraud, then it's time to arrest everyone in vehicle sales.
I mean, it's literally the definition of fraud: n. intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right.

Like you, my impression is that many people in car sales commit fraud. Unlike you, apparently, I'd like to be a better person than the worst car dealer. In any event, we're talking tort law, so I can't expect the car dealers to be arrested. The best I can hope for is that they're sanctioned by their professional associations or successfully sued by someone with standing.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I mean, it's literally the definition of fraud: n. intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right.

Like you, my impression is that many people in car sales commit fraud. Unlike you, apparently, I'd like to be a better person than the worst car dealer. In any event, we're talking tort law, so I can't expect the car dealers to be arrested. The best I can hope for is that they're sanctioned by their professional associations or successfully sued by someone with standing.
Not going to argue, but wow that's some silly thinking and possibly the worst interpretation of law I've ever seen. Who are you defrauding if you quote a price and the ***seller*** decides to go ahead and ***voluntarily*** sell you a vehicle at a particular price? How have I induced someone into selling something to me by suggesting they lower their price??? Get out of here with that bullshit. Expect dealerships to be sanctioned??. You do realize it's part of their fundamental business model to lie and leave not one penny on the table, right?

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
Get one dealership to offer a price, change their email to whatever you want to go for, and send the offer to other dealerships to see if they can match or beat it.
Not going to argue, but wow that's some silly thinking and possibly the worst interpretation of law I've ever seen. Who are you defrauding if you quote a price and the ***seller*** decides to go ahead and ***voluntarily*** sell you a vehicle at a particular price?
The deception to gain unfair financial advantage makes it fraud by definition. The email forgery could have additional repercussions such as wire fraud. I'm disheartened that you hadn't seen this, but I hope you mend your ways.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The deception to gain unfair financial advantage makes it fraud by definition. The email forgery could have additional repercussions such as wire fraud. I'm disheartened that you hadn't seen this, but I hope you mend your ways.
L
O
L

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring

I do indirect lending for a living and I know dealers pull shadier stuff than that all the time. If that is considered fraud then every finance manager I know should be in prison cause those MFer’s are dishonest as all hell.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I do indirect lending for a living and I know dealers pull shadier stuff than that all the time. If that is considered fraud then every finance manager I know should be in prison cause those MFer’s are dishonest as all hell.
Not only that, but the dealership can choose whether or not they sell the car, no matter what the price is. All you're doing is eliminating their bullshit price claims from entering the equation. You're not tricking them into selling the car for a price they don't agree to. I saw a car with its righthand signal light on yesterday and it changed into the left lane. I should have called the cops and reported fraud.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I usually start discussion with a dealer who has the car I want via call or email to get a price down because it all comes down to price and availability for me.

I'm upfront with them that I am looking at a specific budget or incentive and unless I can get that, I would not be interested in buying. However, if they can work with me, I'll set up and appointment for test drive and buy the car right then and there if the car I want checks out. It's really simple for me.

I buy new cars frequently and this has been the best approach for me. I tell the finance guy/girl that I am not interested in any other 'packages' they are offering as I am on a set budget. I am respectful and they usually respect me back.

GL with your purchase, OP. There is really no golden ticket, just be courteous and skip dealers that seem scammy. At the end of the day, a great deal is whatever you feel is for your car.

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So I told the one dealer I've contacted so far that I wanted to pay invoice less holdback and the rebate. His response was he could do invoice, which he listed at $52,730, plus taxes and fees, less the rebate. If I’m looking online correctly, the $52,730 seem high for invoice. Invoice on a premium 3.0 is like 49k, right?

GhostLE

First Name
Mansoor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE, G63
Are you leasing or financing? I was able to get 6k off msrp on a A91 edition for my cousin in California. On a lease with 2k down I was quoted 726 a month for 36 months @15k miles. Hope that helps.

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are you leasing or financing? I was able to get 6k off msrp on a A91 edition for my cousin in California. On a lease with 2k down I was quoted 726 a month for 36 months @15k miles. Hope that helps.
Intended on purchasing

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nice! You shouldn’t have any trouble getting 6k off of msrp. Ask to speak with the GM or GSM they will either approve or decline the offer.
Yeah his initial offer back was only about $4100 off MSRP. You think 6k off MSRP AND the rebate is possible? So $7500 under MSRP?
Sponsored