Help with negotiating tactics

Klee101

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
I bought 2021 Premium 3.0 turbulence gray. I usually take fair price data from KBB and just tell them to match it. I bought it Dec of 2020 and KBB did not have any data for 2021 models. So I took 2020 model data which was $4500 less MSRP and the 3rd dealer i dealt with, in NJ, agreed and made the deal. I see now 2021 models are only about $1000 less MSRP, guess I got lucky.

https://www.kbb.com/toyota/gr-supra...ns=9773847|true|9773850|true&vehicleid=450882

I do have to mention that I got a lot of run around from other dealers and paid for that stupid protective film on the hood that was already installed. Just text to many dealers with an exact price you want and wait.
Sponsored

Herbie

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2016 VW GTI
I check Edmunds. They show lots of data. How long car has been in floor plan. Some dealers show a price. Here in San Diego, there was no discounting when I looked in December '19, but up in LA, there were several dealers that had decent markdowns.

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2016 Ram Diesel
I had to slow my roll on getting a car as my house refinancing took longer than expected. Still interested but may wait a while. I had a couple questions.

I see some of you have gotten these cars for well under 50k - seen some say around 48k. Thatā€™s well under invoice pricing it seems. I contacted one dealer and said I wanted invoice, less holdback and the rebate. They came back and said they can do invoice which was $52,730. They did provide an invoice that did show that was accurate (with options at invoice pricing as well). It did have the handling fee and also TDE. Is this correct you think? How did you guys get under invoice?

Also, thereā€™s a good chance I donā€™t buy one before the end of the month. Do you expect them to have another incentive again? If so, typically when do they do it again?

thanks for the help

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I had to slow my roll on getting a car as my house refinancing took longer than expected. Still interested but may wait a while. I had a couple questions.

I see some of you have gotten these cars for well under 50k - seen some say around 48k. Thatā€™s well under invoice pricing it seems. I contacted one dealer and said I wanted invoice, less holdback and the rebate. They came back and said they can do invoice which was $52,730. They did provide an invoice that did show that was accurate (with options at invoice pricing as well). It did have the handling fee and also TDE. Is this correct you think? How did you guys get under invoice?

Also, thereā€™s a good chance I donā€™t buy one before the end of the month. Do you expect them to have another incentive again? If so, typically when do they do it again?

thanks for the help
Be careful about believing the dealer invoice number:

https://www.realcartips.com/newcars/120-invoice-price.shtml

I approached it as a good with a market value. I established relatively low starting point by reaching out to Carmax who still (but not for much longer) sells new Supras at a low price (around $50.5k for a $56.7k sticker price).

I took that price and offered to let other dealerships bid for my business.Two dealerships got in a bit of a bidding war with each othe (#2 in regional sales aggressively trying not to lose a sale to #1) and thatā€™s how I got mine for under $50k.

they really want you to believe that dealer invoice is a hard bottom line. It isnā€™t. Itā€™s a piece of information, but it can obscure reality.

MikeG

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 Macan Turbo, 75 and 86 Datsun Zs
I was offered 7500 off a 2020 turbulence gray with premium from a dealership in NJ last week.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Yeah his initial offer back was only about $4100 off MSRP. You think 6k off MSRP AND the rebate is possible? So $7500 under MSRP?
Thatā€™s about what I was able to get. But, it might depend on some details that you might not be privy to (hold back, manufacturer incentives to dealer etc).

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Anyone have any idea on the incentives? Maybe Toyota had a trend of what months they come out with them

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Be careful about believing the dealer invoice number:

https://www.realcartips.com/newcars/120-invoice-price.shtml

I approached it as a good with a market value. I established relatively low starting point by reaching out to Carmax who still (but not for much longer) sells new Supras at a low price (around $50.5k for a $56.7k sticker price).

I took that price and offered to let other dealerships bid for my business.Two dealerships got in a bit of a bidding war with each othe (#2 in regional sales aggressively trying not to lose a sale to #1) and thatā€™s how I got mine for under $50k.

they really want you to believe that dealer invoice is a hard bottom line. It isnā€™t. Itā€™s a piece of information, but it can obscure reality.
Thanks for the info. what is the dealers/carmax name that sells these new?

Also when would you expectToyota to come out with another incentive?

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Tacoma Offroad
Thanks for the info. what is the dealers/carmax name that sells these new?

Also when would you expectToyota to come out with another incentive?
Im a decent amount under invoice right now and can accomodate out of state deals if you drive it back. Im in California, I have an active thread on here with current pricing

OP
OP

drave199

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Im a decent amount under invoice right now and can accomodate out of state deals if you drive it back. Im in California, I have an active thread on here with current pricing
Do you have any turbulence gray?