yfeghhi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know who sells the replacement mushroom filters for the HKS intake? Mine is about ready to be replaced but I only see whole intakes for sale or the stock replacement filters on vendors sites
Sponsored

Twundy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
uwgtb.com
Car(s)
Land Cruiser 200 Series, '21 Supra
To answer your question, the replacement filter for the HKS Mushroom is the 200mm Red Wet Oiled 2-Layer model (70001-AK032). The 200mm Green Dry 3-Layer filter (70001-AK022) is also compatible. The filter unit itself is the 200-100mm model, 70019-AK112.

While I absolutely love HKS as a tuner, I despise those mushroom foam filters they use. They need to be replaced every 3-5k miles, don't filter that well, don't offer a performance advantage over cone filters, and there's countless horror stories over the past two decades of little bits of the foam breaking up and being sucked into turbos on many different platforms. Even GReddy stopped making similar foam filters and started making traditional cone filters.

Luckily, you can replace the mushroom foam filter with what I believe is a 100mm/4" inlet cone filter, given that it's not too long and will fit in the HKS intake box. Worth looking into what would fit from K&N, AEM, Airraid, aFe, Green Filter, etc.

Someone in our local Supra group actually did just that with the MST filter from MST's Supra intake:
1639865983266.png

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
To answer your question, the replacement filter for the HKS Mushroom is the 200mm Red Wet Oiled 2-Layer model (70001-AK032). The 200mm Green Dry 3-Layer filter (70001-AK022) is also compatible. The filter unit itself is the 200-100mm model, 70019-AK112.

While I absolutely love HKS as a tuner, I despise those mushroom foam filters they use. They need to be replaced every 3-5k miles, don't filter that well, don't offer a performance advantage over cone filters, and there's countless horror stories over the past two decades of little bits of the foam breaking up and being sucked into turbos on many different platforms. Even GReddy stopped making similar foam filters and started making traditional cone filters.

Luckily, you can replace the mushroom foam filter with what I believe is a 100mm/4" inlet cone filter, given that it's not too long and will fit in the HKS intake box. Worth looking into what would fit from K&N, AEM, Airraid, aFe, Green Filter, etc.

Someone in our local Supra group actually did just that with the MST filter from MST's Supra intake:
1639865983266.png
Sadly, any standard cone filter won't work if you have the enclosed intake from HKS. I am trying to find a suitable replacement.

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
Just replace the filter.People with problems with these don't keep up on the maintenance on them. The filter is not the same one from the 90s, and again people weren't changing them.Buy a three pack and be done. Its foam filter to gain as much airflow as possible. HKS is a world renowned company they don't just put out junk that doesn't work.

Twundy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
uwgtb.com
Car(s)
Land Cruiser 200 Series, '21 Supra
Sadly, any standard cone filter won't work if you have the enclosed intake from HKS. I am trying to find a suitable replacement.
Any luck finding a suitable replacement cone filter for the enclosed HKS intake?

Some possible candidates (4"/100mm inlet cone filter with the shortest height like the mushroom filter, and < 200mm/7.9" overall diameter):
K&N RC-5153 (the stubbiest and maybe closest to the HKS mushroom filter dimensions, very compact)
K&N RC-5057
Green Filter Part #2357
BMC FBSA100-110
BMC FBTW100-140
aFe 21-40505
GReddy Airinx

Last edited:

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2

cuzin.danny

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 G35 Coupe 6MT
Hate to revive such an old thread, but I figured this was worth mentioning to others running the HKS Racing Suction intake as something to be aware of.

I recently re-installed my OEM intake and upon inspection of the HKSā€™ coupler, there was noticeable debris (dirt, sand?, particles). In the photo attached, I had already cleaned off the larger bits (0.5mm-1.0mm in size).

Though I love the craftsmanship and quality of the HKS intake, Iā€™ve become skeptical about using these mushroom filters. These are meant to be changed at a much shorter interval of 2000-3200 miles and mine was due for a replacement. I donā€™t live in a particularly dusty area so I was surprised to see this after breaking 2000 miles.
IMG_5420.jpeg

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Hate to revive such an old thread, but I figured this was worth mentioning to others running the HKS Racing Suction intake as something to be aware of.

I recently re-installed my OEM intake and upon inspection of the HKSā€™ coupler, there was noticeable debris (dirt, sand?, particles). In the photo attached, I had already cleaned off the larger bits (0.5mm-1.0mm in size).

Though I love the craftsmanship and quality of the HKS intake, Iā€™ve become skeptical about using these mushroom filters. These are meant to be changed at a much shorter interval of 2000-3200 miles and mine was due for a replacement. I donā€™t live in a particularly dusty area so I was surprised to see this after breaking 2000 miles.
IMG_5420.jpeg
Was it installed correctly?

Anyone else experience this? @NitroYellowMKV did you notice anything on yours?

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Was it installed correctly?

Anyone else experience this? @NitroYellowMKV did you notice anything on yours?
I have not checked in a while but not that I ever noticed, I'll take a look when Im back in town.

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470

IMG_5420.jpeg

What section is this? The filter to intake pipe connection? I know that seal is a pain to get on without finessing it a bit at least with the enclosed box version. If thats not seated you are asking for debris . Gonna see if the Greddy filters will fit in the box on my next filter change.
Sponsored