Horse Power guess??

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
With remote tuning these days, I just don't think there's a ton of point in going to the dyno. Dyno numbers on their own aren't interesting, it's just a nice easy way to get data.
Then why inquire or even state what you think your HP is? If you donā€™t want actual numbers, why even guesstimate? You donā€™t guesstimate your tune, but youā€™re ok with guesstimating hard data?

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
With remote tuning these days, I just don't think there's a ton of point in going to the dyno. Dyno numbers on their own aren't interesting, it's just a nice easy way to get data.
This, and the fact you can manipulate dyno numbers fairly easy haha

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
There are apps that help you estimate horsepower and torque. A little google-fu will save you the slings and arrows of people having a bit of fun on the forum.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Then why inquire or even state what you think your HP is? If you donā€™t want actual numbers, why even guesstimate? You donā€™t guesstimate your tune, but youā€™re ok with guesstimating hard data?
No clue, you tell me. Aside from understanding 'what more boost is going to do to your MPH or ET' it's worthless.

The only data that matters to me is 1/4 mile time. You can use a combination of hp and torque to figure out data about where you should be, but even then, that's not always accurate. The driver comes into play.

All dyno's are different, and their only good use, in the tuning sense, is to understand what improvements are being made, or what various changes do to your expected MPH. SAE smooth, standard smoothing, Mustang vs Dynojet vs Hub dynos will all ready different numbers. What you want is a smooth curve the peak numbers don't matter at all.

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
No clue, you tell me. Aside from understanding 'what more boost is going to do to your MPH or ET' it's worthless.

The only data that matters to me is 1/4 mile time. You can use a combination of hp and torque to figure out data about where you should be, but even then, that's not always accurate. The driver comes into play.

All dyno's are different, and their only good use, in the tuning sense, is to understand what improvements are being made, or what various changes do to your expected MPH. SAE smooth, standard smoothing, Mustang vs Dynojet vs Hub dynos will all ready different numbers. What you want is a smooth curve the peak numbers don't matter at all.
I get that, but for those that donā€™t track their cars, or donā€™t have access to a track in their locale, your only other option is what your car tells you (Hp readout) or a dyno.

Shop I go to has two shop Supraā€™s, both 750+ but will never really see a track due to no one really owning them. So they just test parts/setups via a dyno so you have real numbers to reflect on real parts/setups. Remote tuning is cool but I still donā€™t feel itā€™s as valuable as an actual dyno corrected tune. Just my humble opinion.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I get that, but for those that donā€™t track their cars, or donā€™t have access to a track in their locale, your only other option is what your car tells you (Hp readout) or a dyno.
Some things:

1) The readout isn't real. Even sort of.
2) If you don't track the car, what does it matter how much power you make? Bragging rights?
c) Shop cars are usually built to race- this is why shops have race programs (EOSpeed/P2uned/Titan, etc)
4) ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ chase those HP numbers if you like.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
Some things:

1) The readout isn't real. Even sort of.
2) If you don't track the car, what does it matter how much power you make? Bragging rights?
c) Shop cars are usually built to race- this is why shops have race programs (EOSpeed/P2uned/Titan, etc)
4) ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ chase those HP numbers if you like.

jack-nicholson-jack.gif

Edit: I realized that I really don't have anyone to brag to. So now I am conflicted.

CrushA90

First Name
JAY
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 MK5 supra .... 97 sc300 2JZGTE 1000++ HP
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium with JB4 map 3, Armytix catless downpipe, FTP Charge Pipe, Armaspeed Intake. All of that is currently installed. I was wondering what HP I am making. I don't wanna go to DYNO.
Jb4 ots maps are not the greatest do yourself a favor and let a pro like @Jesse DaBears make a custom map. My car walks other Supras with his tune. Very different than the ots tunes. Jesse is the man.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
I also take a dim view of dynos these days. Anyone with a brain and some experience on the platform can get pretty good at guesstimating what kind of power the car should be at with a given setup. Cars are air pumps, and pumps behave in predictable ways if everything is set up correctly.

I've seen cars read a bonafide 125WHP low.

I've seen people with a verified error-free setup, with headroom to spare, get an impossible zero gain on the dyno report out of another 5 PSI. No, there was nothing wrong with the turbo, fuel, or timing.

I've seen cars dialed in on the dyno, then suddenly jump 3-8 PSI out on the street. Same settings. Same car.

I've seen smoothbrain operators say the car didn't make any more power, even after the car completed the dyno run a full four seconds faster than the last one. You know, a mathematical impossibility.

Dynos are an important tool, but they are swimming in operator and calibration error. The same dyno make and model can rarely be compared. Forget even trying to compare across different makes and models. People also get very hung up on the peak numbers, but their eyes just sorta glaze over the ramp into boost and the shape of the curve--two aspects that have a much larger impact on your life than the number at the top.

I'd prefer to street tune any day.

@zrk Re: #2 me no like track. me like big numbers. big numbers go brrrrr. brrrr is happy. wrench are happy.

Last edited:

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
I have basically the same on a 2021 with no tune or jb4 and have Dyno at 420 hP to rear wheels.
Sponsored