More power

GR1109LE

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR SUPRA LE #1109, 2018 AUDI S6
As probably like everyone on this forum im interested in more power. Low end upto about 90-100 this car pulls hard and you can definitely feel it, but, after that it feels like it runs out of steam. What I compare to is my daily which is a 2018 Audi S6, the audi off the line feels slower then the Supra but uptop pulls like a freight train.

What mods can fill the gap up top without losing the low end torque? For example, if I run a newer GT Mustang (2019-2020) off the line I can pull away easy and keep the gap, but if we start at 80-90 the Mustang pulls away. Just using a mustang as an example because a friend and I were recently having some fun with the cars.

I know this has been discussed various times through out the forum in one way another. I just wanted to ask directly for input from people who feel the same thing and what exactly they did.

Thanks guys
Sponsored

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
A piggyback or better yet, a tune for the car will give you a lot of the power you are looking for. Even with a piggyback (RaceChip/Titan), the car has a lot more pull past 100 MPH.

OP
OP

GR1109LE

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A piggyback or better yet, a tune for the car will give you a lot of the power you are looking for. Even with a piggyback (RaceChip/Titan), the car has a lot more pull past 100 MPH.
I've been following AMS pretty closely with their new turbo setup they are working on. Only problem I see with the bigger turbo is lag and loss of low end torque.

If I went with a catless downpipe, cai and possibly JB4 or a custom tune, will the car keep its same characteristics down low but keep pulling up top?

kurumi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Modern day turbos, even the large (for the car at least) ones for the Supra, really don't have as much lag as you would thing (i.e. MKIV Supra with an 88mm turbo).

You still should have the low end torque on a Pure800 turbo or anything of that size.

TBH, how much power are you chasing? The stock turbo is well sorted for 600 HP or more (https://www.supramkv.com/threads/bm3-vs-ecutek.5077/#post-77721).

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Tune is the best bang for the buck alongside a downpipe

If you want more topend after that then a Pure800 :cool:

Easy to install, reliable and brings power up to around 480-500 on pump gas which to me is as perfect as can be

OP
OP

GR1109LE

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Modern day turbos, even the large (for the car at least) ones for the Supra, really don't have as much lag as you would thing (i.e. MKIV Supra with an 88mm turbo).

You still should have the low end torque on a Pure800 turbo or anything of that size.

TBH, how much power are you chasing? The stock turbo is well sorted for 600 HP or more (https://www.supramkv.com/threads/bm3-vs-ecutek.5077/#post-77721).

I'm not really after how much more horsepower with numbers if that makes sense. I just want the car to pull just as hard as it does down low without losing down low around town torque.

OP
OP

GR1109LE

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tune is the best bang for the buck alongside a downpipe

If you want more topend after that then a Pure800 :cool:

Easy to install, reliable and brings power up to around 480-500 on pump gas which to me is as perfect as can be
Can anyone put input about the feeling of having a downpipe and tune and if it makes the changes I'm looking for. Pureturbo 800 does add alot of fun from what I read but will i lose the torque down low?

2k20HTownMKV

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra; 2017 Lexus RX 350 F sport; 2013 Honda Accord (daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone put input about the feeling of having a downpipe and tune and if it makes the changes I'm looking for. Pureturbo 800 does add alot of fun from what I read but will i lose the torque down low?
This depends on the tune. i ran a downpipe with Bm3 OTS Stage 2 93 pump and the car i felt had too much torque too fast. it just wasn't a smooth torque curve like the stock one and made it to where i felt i was spinning wheels more.

Darth

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
02 S2k, 09 Aerorace, 07 Y61, 14 1500 Denali
Vehicle Showcase
It will have similar characteristics with tune/DP because you are still on stock turbo. Pureturbo will give you the feeling you are after and tourqe down low/lag is not as significant as you you think.

OP
OP

GR1109LE

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This depends on the tune. i ran a downpipe with Bm3 OTS Stage 2 93 pump and the car i felt had too much torque too fast. it just wasn't a smooth torque curve like the stock one and made it to where i felt i was spinning wheels more.
In stock form the car already has that problem where off the line it will spin pretty bad. Even rolling about 15-20 if you floor it, she will go sideways.

I wonder if the other tunes bring the torque in more Smoothly.

OP
OP

GR1109LE

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It will have similar characteristics with tune/DP because you are still on stock turbo. Pureturbo will give you the feeling you are after and tourqe down low/lag is not as significant as you you think.
I love how this car has no noticeable lag in stock form. After couple days of driving the Supra, my Audi feels so laggy.

I almost went with the Pure Turbo recently till I saw AMS post video of their supra with their new turbo setup they are developing. I'm going to wait and see how their setup turns out. They have some monster GTRs so I'm guessing they will do big things for Supra too.

I guess with any turbo upgrade tires are the very next upgrade because stock tires are crap for traction already.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
You're asking for something to keep the torque down low, but then asking if a tune can lessen the torque down low. Maybe im misreading.

Anyway, if you want the most possible torque down low, then stay with the stock turbo. Torque can be reduced with a tune down low, but thats opposite of what you're asking for.

OP
OP

GR1109LE

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You're asking for something to keep the torque down low, but then asking if a tune can lessen the torque down low. Maybe im misreading.

Anyway, if you want the most possible torque down low, then stay with the stock turbo. Torque can be reduced with a tune down low, but thats opposite of what you're asking for.
2k20HTownMKV said:

Thats my mistake I didn't really write that clearly. I was saying a tune may be able to bring the torque in more smoothly in response to him saying BM3 made the torque come in too fast.

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
2k20HTownMKV said:

Thats my mistake I didn't really write that clearly. I was saying a tune may be able to bring the torque in more smoothly in response to him saying BM3 made the torque come in too fast.
I understand what you mean completely. A lot of our customers that switch over from BM3 and MHD have that complaint.

Would love to help you if I’m able. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

[email protected]

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
2k20HTownMKV said:

Thats a better explanation. This can all be fixed in the tune. And can be made however you want it
Sponsored