How is the ride quality of the MKV?

the-cool-factor

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AMG C 43
Hey everyone - prospective owner here. First time on the forum, so I'm hoping to get some good insight from owners of this car.

First, I love the MKV. I think it is just so cool. I know all about the performance aspects of this Supra and I'm psyched about it. I will be going to test drive a 2020 Supra in the next couple of days, but until I do that, I am curious about the ride quality of the car.

My wife gets motion sickness quite easily. The suspension in my current car (2017 AMG C 43) is quite stiff and she often gets motion sickness from bumping around in her seat. It doesn't help that where I'm located doesn't necessarily have the best roads...though I will be moving soon, so that aspect should soon be remedied.

How is the suspension in the Supra? In "comfort" mode, can it be comfortably used as a daily driver / long distance driver?

Also, is the Supra cabin pretty insulated from road and wind noise? I'm cross shopping with a few other cars (Corvette, F-Type, 911, etc.) and have been pretty impressed with the noise insulation thus far. However...I don't want it to be so silent that I can't enjoy the awesome sounds coming out of the exhaust.
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Hey everyone - prospective owner here. First time on the forum, so I'm hoping to get some good insight from owners of this car.

First, I love the MKV. I think it is just so cool. I know all about the performance aspects of this Supra and I'm psyched about it. I will be going to test drive a 2020 Supra in the next couple of days, but until I do that, I am curious about the ride quality of the car.

My wife gets motion sickness quite easily. The suspension in my current car (2017 AMG C 43) is quite stiff and she often gets motion sickness from bumping around in her seat. It doesn't help that where I'm located doesn't necessarily have the best roads...though I will be moving soon, so that aspect should soon be remedied.

How is the suspension in the Supra? In "comfort" mode, can it be comfortably used as a daily driver / long distance driver?

Also, is the Supra cabin pretty insulated from road and wind noise? I'm cross shopping with a few other cars (Corvette, F-Type, 911, etc.) and have been pretty impressed with the noise insulation thus far. However...I don't want it to be so silent that I can't enjoy the awesome sounds coming out of the exhaust.
In normal the suspension is fine for daily driving. In my '21 at least. The suspension on the '20 is tuned differently.
Sound can be adjusted as well by going into normal or sport mode. And there's always aftermarket options. Wind noise is no issue, until you open both windows all the way, just like the 911 it has buffeting. Leave the windows slightly up or one closed, and it's fine. Also aftermarket options to eliminate it completely.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Ride quality in comfort mode is actually very comfortable (heh). The car is docile until you step on it and the exhaust note is subtle but still sounds good imo. I typically only drive in sport mode when doing hooligan shit but that's when the car gets a bit uncomfortable with the stiffer suspension and aggressive shifting but that's to be expected.

I've only driven an F-pace and 911 and the former definitely has better sound dampening than the Supra. I found the 911 to be much louder than both vehicles personally.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Left stock and in comfort mode I think the ride was pretty smooth for a little car

It will NOT be as quiet and comfy as the other cars listed- but is priced differently and not designed to directly compete.

The cabin sight lines are well not great. If she gets motion sick she may struggle with the gun slot sized side windows and low view?

michaeljeff

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Phantom 3.0 Premium

You'll get a similar bumpy ride as your C43, but it is pleasantly damped so it isn't bad. In terms of noise, you should test drive one. To me, it's too loud on the highway, but people seem OK with it here and on reviews.

That being said, livability will depend on where you live as well. In California or Florida, it's daily drivable for sure. In New York City and New Jersey, some of those roads made some seriously bad suspension noises for the car when I went through them.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
It feels like a touring car and quite comfortable even for long distance. Frequent complement from other sports car drivers are "this is most comfortable seat I've seated in". As for cabin noise, as long as she or you don't have to drive /w window down, it's OK. Wind buffeting is quite severe unless some additional parts are updated. I normally drive /w windows closed and do enjoy exhaust notes whether it is coming from outside or through ASD.

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Downshift Blue Supra
I had a 2019 C63 and the Supra is more compliant in sport mode than that car was in comfort. The shorter wheelbase makes the Supra much more reactive than my C63 was but the overall comfort level is higher than the Mercedes.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I think the standard RC-F would be better for softer riding sports car if from Toyota... (?)

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
It's definitely more comfortable than some other 'sport' cars i've owned like the M4, M3, 370z, STI, etc.

But its not going to be comfortable like an SUV or a family sedan. I drove in an Acura TLX recently and that was one of the most comfortable sedans i've ever been in.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Well, let me annoy you as well.
It won't matter what anyone says on this forum because they don't ride with your wife and have your driving style or the roads you drive on. you'll test drive in few and get first hand results anyhow. You'll only get their impression/experience/feeling on such a subjective topic... but a general consensus perhaps...

But if it helps you, seats have adjustable side support, but imho not adequate at high g. Sound proofing is subjective, there is road noise above a certain mph due to narrow tires, but better than most <2800-3000lbs sports cars. There is no divider between the trunk and seats, so noise can propagate.
Suspension at comfort settings are actually comfortable for long road trips if you are ok with noise inside.... Some people's wipers twitch and make noises. Some rattling comes from seat belt area...

Drakov

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
My wife gets car sick in cars that ride too smooth.... She is not able to ride in most Toyota's, Nissan's Honda's... German cars are just fine for her for the most part which is a plus for me :). But yeah, the only way to find out for sure if it's tolerable for her is take a test drive.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I echo most of the comments made here, and agree YMMV depending on where you live/drive. I made a drive from SF to Pleasanton yesterday (50 minute drive) in normal mode (still not sure where people are finding comfort cause there's nothing in the menu for 'comfort' - the settings you seeing the menus are either "normal" or "sport".

Over expansion joints and uneven highway surfaces, I definitely got bounced around a bit more than in a 2020 BRZ I recently drove along the same route. Part of that is due to the tires, I think. If you put on PS4S or a more compliant sidewall tire, it'll smooth things out a bit, but I wouldn't mind an even softer setting on the damper (perhaps an actual 'comfort' mode).

Neilswheel

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra 2017 VW Tiguan
I also have a 2017 Tiguan. When I go out with my wife we take the Tiguan. The Supra is very complaint and pleasant to drive by yourself in a normal mode. As it is with many sports cars, being a passenger could feel a bit confining.
The wind buffeting noise keeps getting brought up. It is a $20 fix that takes less than two minutes to do.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
My son recently got a 2018 C43 AMG. I was surprised at how much harsher it is than the Supra. Everyone who has ridden in my car has commented on the comfort. I know a guy who owns an exotic rental business. Just for fun I had him drive my car and compare it to his fleet: 911 Turbo, Ferrari 458, several Lamgorghinis, and others. He, too, was impressed with the smoothness and how light the car feels.
Sponsored