How to move forward with wishy washy tech?

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
Alright boys, so I have quite the tale for yall and would love some input on how to move forward.

so about 2 months ago, I placed an order with my supra tech for an intake manifold, the Wagner one specifically.
He said it would be delivered within 90 days, but usually around 60 days is the average.

ok, so I give him almost 2k and think nothing of it.

as the 60 day mark rolls around, which was about 3 days ago, I ask any update on the manifold? Nothing.

Texted him again, yet again no response.

so then I go to Instagram, I see him posting about some supras heā€™s working on.
So I messaged him there, finally he replies saying Wagner said they havenā€™t given him an updated ETA.

Then I tell him to cancel the order because at this rate, Iā€™m not gonna be able to get it on time as Iā€™m moving by the end of the year to a completely new state.
He again sees the message and doesnā€™t reply.

So im frustrated and annoyed to say the least, but I want to approach this as delicately as possible, as thereā€™s still some things I want to get done to my car by him, and he has 2k of my money.

how would you guys proceed?
Sponsored

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
So he told you ahead of time that it would be delivered in 90 days, and you want to cancel the order because it wasnā€™t delivered in 60?

OP
OP

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
So he told you ahead of time that it would be delivered in 90 days, and you want to cancel the order because it wasnā€™t delivered in 60?
he said average is 60 days, so I hit him up around the 60 day mark, and after being ghosted 2 times, he said thereā€™s an updated ETA. So itā€™s longer than 90 days now

I donā€™t have that time because I move late December early January, and would rather have it cancelled.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I think either:

A. Ask for a refund but not sure how that works / if it's possible, depends on what contract of sale/order you made - if you have a proper invoice and T&cs, have a look first.

B. Leave it as is now, and when he receives it, ask him to re-ship it to your new address - not ideal and still has some risk and maybe some extra cost but is less argumentative.

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
How did you pay for it? Credit card or did you Venmo him? Just curious. I had read somewhere that the Wagner was on back order so 90 days doesnā€™t seem unreasonable.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I donā€™t have that time because I move late December early January, and would rather have it cancelled.
A lot of times these kinds of orders are non-cancellable. Maybe they can just hold the manifold for you until youā€™ve completed your move and can give them an updated address.

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
1) Call Wagner, ask about their cancellation policy. Once known you will have a better idea how to approach your guy.

2) show up at the shop to discuss vs email or phone.

4 If this fails remember violence never works to solve the problemā€¦.its the solution

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Alright boys, so I have quite the tale for yall and would love some input on how to move forward.

so about 2 months ago, I placed an order with my supra tech for an intake manifold, the Wagner one specifically.
He said it would be delivered within 90 days, but usually around 60 days is the average.

ok, so I give him almost 2k and think nothing of it.

as the 60 day mark rolls around, which was about 3 days ago, I ask any update on the manifold? Nothing.

Texted him again, yet again no response.

so then I go to Instagram, I see him posting about some supras heā€™s working on.
So I messaged him there, finally he replies saying Wagner said they havenā€™t given him an updated ETA.

Then I tell him to cancel the order because at this rate, Iā€™m not gonna be able to get it on time as Iā€™m moving by the end of the year to a completely new state.
He again sees the message and doesnā€™t reply.

So im frustrated and annoyed to say the least, but I want to approach this as delicately as possible, as thereā€™s still some things I want to get done to my car by him, and he has 2k of my money.

how would you guys proceed?
Get your money back and get someone else. Communication is key. Even if itā€™s not his fault. He should reply. Iā€™m with a particular independent BMW mechanic because of this fact. His communication is fantastic! Thatā€™s a HUGE in any business as far as Iā€˜m concerned.

In the medical field, if any one cog in the wheel is not communicating, patient care goes way down. Same in multi family real estate. If any one part of that business isnā€™t responding, the tenant suffers. So I treat the car the same. When I finally do get time to go play, I donā€™t want someone thinking my time isnā€™t worthy of a response. Move on brother to someone that thinks your time is as valuable as theirs.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Get your money back and get someone else. Communication is key. Even if itā€™s not his fault. He should reply. Iā€™m with a particular independent BMW mechanic because of this fact. His communication is fantastic! Thatā€™s a HUGE in any business as far as Iā€˜m concerned.

In the medical field, if any one cog in the wheel is not communicating, patient care goes way down. Same in multi family real estate. If any one part of that business isnā€™t responding, the tenant suffers. So I treat the car the same. When I finally do get time to go play, I donā€™t want someone thinking my time isnā€™t worthy of a response. Move on brother to someone that thinks your time is as valuable as theirs.
I agree with this 10,000%. The red flag factory went into overdrive when he ignored you twice. Considering the minimal amount of effort it takes to send the most basic reply, or at least acknowledgement of your contact attempts, the deliberate deflection tells you all you need to know.

It's always been weird, because I'm a nice-guy softie that gets along with everyone, but also a stone-hearted bastard that's lightning fast to condemn or write people off when I see the signs. I truly believe that everything a person says and does, or often more importantly DOESN'T do, is entirely on purpose. Second chances are rarely handed out, and I just can't waste the time and energy on trusting people my gut instinct says I shouldn't, or they show subtle, but clear indications of their nefarious underlying intentions.

I'm sure I've gotten it wrong a few times and maybe missed out on something, but most of the time I'm dead right in my initial assessment.

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Being in CA, they probably can't get it anyways without having to have it shipped outside then back in. It's not CARB compliant so Wagner won't ship to us in CA.

-Josh

OP
OP

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
Appreciate everyoneā€™s input!
So I called Wagner, and they said no order was placed 2 months ago, referenced techā€™s business name and his actual name, and no order was found, so Iā€™m at a loss of words :/

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
Whenever I get frustrated by a vendor I try and turn it around and look at it from their shoes.

1) dude did say within 90 days. it's only day 62 or 63.
2) dude is having communication issues. might be because he has no news or no good news. A lot of do it yourselves business suffer from poor communication. They got into business to work on cars, NOT deal with potentially angry customers. I know they SHOULD be better. But we have to understand the size of business we are dealing with. One man shop? Expect flaky.
3) you checked with the supplier but that info is sus at best. Misspell the name, he orders under his Mom's maiden name. He's ordering in Nevada and having it brought in on horseback. 1000 reasons why this might be.
4) you are ordering non carb compliant in California. how much would you want to put in writing?

Seems like a lot of reasonable doubt to me. Research your options in paperwork and/or website. But I'd sit tight until the 90 passes.

OP
OP

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
Whenever I get frustrated by a vendor I try and turn it around and look at it from their shoes.

1) dude did say within 90 days. it's only day 62 or 63.
2) dude is having communication issues. might be because he has no news or no good news. A lot of do it yourselves business suffer from poor communication. They got into business to work on cars, NOT deal with potentially angry customers. I know they SHOULD be better. But we have to understand the size of business we are dealing with. One man shop? Expect flaky.
3) you checked with the supplier but that info is sus at best. Misspell the name, he orders under his Mom's maiden name. He's ordering in Nevada and having it brought in on horseback. 1000 reasons why this might be.
4) you are ordering non carb compliant in California. how much would you want to put in writing?

Seems like a lot of reasonable doubt to me. Research your options in paperwork and/or website. But I'd sit tight until the 90 passes.
Appreciate the wealth of info bro. So I also asked if thereā€™s an ETA on the manifolds, Wagner said next week a good portion of orders would be fulfilled, but that doesnā€™t mean much as I donā€™t know where I would be on the list.

in not sure whether to confront him about it, or wait it out, the issue with waiting is I leave by the end of December :/
But the issue with confrontation is he might really have ordered under a different name or something like you said, and you stand to lose trust with the tech.

so Iā€™m in a difficult position at the moment
Sponsored