Would you be interested in a hybrid Supra?

• Yes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the price

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
^ I agree. Some people think the Supra is a super car. Which Toyota built a true GT Sports car. Just because it can hang and beat true super cars does not make it a 'super car'. I think thats what they're aiming with the FT1 which is why I believe this will be a 50-60k car, toned down of course compared to the concept.

I think this is what causes a lot of people to say this will be 100k+ car. If you listen to Kevin Hunter in the motor trend video. He says it himself they wanted to make a true sports car. Mentions the LFA is a super sports car. There's a difference.
Supra MK4 TT was made to compete with Nissan 300ZX TT, it was so good, it went to compete directly with Skyline GT-R R34 and 911. All of them are called Supercar killers. Anyone think 911, GT-R, and Supra are supercars, they don't know the background of those cars.
Sponsored

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
More hybrid rumors.

The 2016 version of the spiritual successor to the legendary Supra sports a turbocharged 2.0-liter inline 4, complimented by two electric motors for a combined 450 horsepower and 480 pound-feet of torque. Capable of hitting 60 m.p.h. in less than 4 seconds, the “Future Toyota” caps out at a top speed of 180 m.p.h.

The FT-1 is expected to ship in late 2015 and price around $100,000.
http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/15/t...lid-under-the-radar-at-the-detroit-auto-show/

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i think Motoring was the one that started all the rumors of a hybrid awd Supra?

i would take it with a gain of salt. if im not mistaken, they were also the ones that reported that Toyota would make a sedan, hybrid, and turbo 86. :thumbsdown:

http://www.motoring.com.au/

JohnnyTX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GTS (05)
i think Motoring was the one that started all the rumors of a hybrid awd Supra?

i would take it with a gain of salt. if im not mistaken, they were also the ones that reported that Toyota would make a sedan, hybrid, and turbo 86. :thumbsdown:

http://www.motoring.com.au/
That site posts bunk. Seems to make up info and never have a specific source other than "our source."

Still no way it's going to be hybrid at $50-60 grand.

Tunnel_D

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTO
Nobody knows the MKV Supra's power # yet but with rumors that it might get 500+ horsepower I got to thinking about traction. Anytime you start getting into 500+ territory putting the power to the ground becomes a problem.

I'm sure the new modular platform being developed with BMW can probably be used for both RWD and AWD (and probably also FWD) cars.

Assuming it could be a variable AWD system like the GT-R (100% of available torque to the rear wheels, and up to 50% of torque to the front wheels) or the R8 (variable 15%-30% torque to front wheels)

How many here would be ok with or even want a AWD version to have the best possible traction possible?

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I wouldn't mind. However so far Toyota & Calty have indicated nothing to suggest AWD, and everything to suggest RWD. ;)

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ same here...but all info that we know so far from information Toyota has shared all point to RWD.

Plus wouldn't AWD increase price?

Hal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda s2000
I think it will be RWD. Tada san has already said all three Toyota sport cars will be RWD. Not to mention FT1 is a "RWD" concept if you will.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
^ same here...but all info that we know so far from information Toyota has shared all point to RWD.

Plus wouldn't AWD increase price?
It would increase price and weight by at least 100-200 lbs.

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
I wouldn't mind AWD in theory but don't want any increased cost, complexity and the weight penalty.

This car needs to be as light as possible to deliver on Tada San's promise to make a driver's car, not like the 3800+ pound AWD GT-R.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I wouldn't mind AWD in theory but don't want any increased cost, complexity and the weight penalty.

This car needs to be as light as possible to deliver on Tada San's promise to make a driver's car, not like the 3800+ pound AWD GT-R.
Yeah if this thing were AWD it would then have to live up to the GT-R, and would similarly come with a GT-R like pricetag (at least $75-$80k or more).

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
If this was targeted towards rally race enthusiasts, AWD. If it's targetting road race enthusiasts, which I sure hope it is, RWD.

Competitive cars winning serious road races in their individual category focus on weight, reliability, suspension, braking and handling not so much AWD.

Too much of a weight penalty and possibity clearance issue (height and raised CG) with AWD. I vote for RWD.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Sites will continue to make up news until we get anything solid from Toyota. Hopefully there are nuggets of truth in the middle of all the BS.

Wally World

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
Optional AWD model would be ok with me, even though I would be buying RWD version. We shouldn't be forced to pay more and for a heavier car, especially those of us living in non-snow states. Plus, who's going to drive a Supra in the snow. Even if you don't have traction issues, you'll have clearance isues.
Sponsored