Would you be interested in a hybrid Supra?

• Yes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the price

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

AZ Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hoping for new Supra
I feel like the price of cars has outpaced inflation. Well one thing is for sure, the price of big powerful sports cars will continue to skyrocket in place of small displacement and electric/hybrids.
Sponsored

MACKSTER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beater Honda
while i would not be interested in a hybrid; i would like to play devil's advocate for a minute.

back when the FT-HS debut in 2006/2007, Toyota said a production version could cost around $35k. with the rate of inflation that would be around $41k today. i know that isn't real hardcore info/facts, but its something to keep in mind. also, cost could be saved with the BMW partnership as well. i guess we will know for sure in a couple of years.
Were there ever any specs for the FT-HS though? Supra should be on a totally different level performance wise i would think.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Were there ever any specs for the FT-HS though? Supra should be on a totally different level performance wise i would think.
If I recall correctly, all Toyota said about that concept is around 400hp and 0-6 in around 4 seconds. I'm guessing at that time if it had gone into production, Toyota would have most likely used a modified version of the 3.5 V6 hybrid 2GR-FXE from the GS 450h.

Hal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda s2000
I agree with big George. If I can get the driving ability of the 918 at half the price, I am all for it.

detuning

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS-F
If I recall correctly, all Toyota said about that concept is around 400hp and 0-6 in around 4 seconds. I'm guessing at that time if it had gone into production, Toyota would have most likely used a modified version of the 3.5 V6 hybrid 2GR-FXE from the GS 450h.
Those are amazing specs even today. Must have blown people away in 2006. Give the new supra 500hp and 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and it will blow people away.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
It kinda makes me sad that the FT-HS never went into production. Also Lexus could have gotten a reskin version as the 3rd gen SC. Some factors that were working against it:

1. The economy tanked a few years later.
2. The front end was a little odd...
3. At that time I don't think many people think hybrid and sports car should even be used in the same sentence.
4. Akio Toyoda was not CEO than.

Hal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda s2000
BMW has announced all models will be hybridized. Any thoughts on how this affects the Z5-Supra project?

Respek

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Mustang
Doubt it will. That news is suposedly about cars years from now. The Z5-Supra is coming out in 1-2 yrs.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
After watching the NSX debut today and what comes with that car is a V6 twin turbo hybrid with 550 bhp+ going for $155k+, I don't see how Toyota can build a similar car for 50-60k as the hinted priced tag. So if they are sticking with the intended price I think a Hybrid FT1/Supra is out the window.

As I stated before not that Toyota can't build a hybrid sports car but they will not build this car like the LFA with intentions to lose money. I think they are going to fill a void in the Japanese Sports car market for that $50-60k mark and come out with a v6 twin turbo and/or a NA V8.

__WRC__

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
325i
After watching the NSX debut today and what comes with that car is a V6 twin turbo hybrid with 550 bhp+ going for $155k+, I don't see how Toyota can build a similar car for 50-60k as the hinted priced tag. So if they are sticking with the intended price I think a Hybrid FT1/Supra is out the window.
Yup.

As I stated before not that Toyota can't build a hybrid sports car but they will not build this car like the LFA with intentions to lose money. I think they are going to fill a void in the Japanese Sports car market for that $50-60k mark and come out with a v6 twin turbo and/or a NA V8.
Definitely a void there that's perfect for the Supra to come in at. Crack $100k and you're dealing with 911, GT-R, R8, and now NSX. Some Tough competition.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Yup, 650 hp if I read correctly. I'm really hoping if Toyota goes the 6 cylinder turbo route; that it would come close to the performances of the GT and R35.

FXuser

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
Yup.

Definitely a void there that's perfect for the Supra to come in at. Crack $100k and you're dealing with 911, GT-R, R8, and now NSX. Some Tough competition.
Not only that but break 100K and it shouldn't be called a Supra. It's not meant to be a super car. I knew guys in my average middle class neighborhood that drove it growing up, unlike the NSX. It should be accessible.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I agree. Some people think the Supra is a super car. Which Toyota built a true GT Sports car. Just because it can hang and beat true super cars does not make it a 'super car'. I think thats what they're aiming with the FT1 which is why I believe this will be a 50-60k car, toned down of course compared to the concept.

I think this is what causes a lot of people to say this will be 100k+ car. If you listen to Kevin Hunter in the motor trend video. He says it himself they wanted to make a true sports car. Mentions the LFA is a super sports car. There's a difference.

Last edited:

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
Something like Volvo electric motor driven turbo would be awesome. That would give instant boost.
Sponsored

Last edited: