Would you be interested in a hybrid Supra?

• Yes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the price

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
No thanks

I don't want more weight and complexity added to a sports car

Its heavy and too complex as is
Sponsored

splv

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 IS350
I would not at all be surprised if a mild hybrid Supra shows up sometime in the A90 lifecycle but the one wrench that might be in this is Tetsuya Tada's own insistence that this generation of the Supra will not come in a hybrid trim.
I am convinced that Toyota/Tada has little say in the development or progression of this platform. BMW wears the pants in this relationship. I am also in favor of less complexity. All we need now is a manual transmission in the A90. Even if we never get the S58, I'll be happy with the B58 with a 6MT.

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
The 48v hybrid system isn't the traditional hybrid setup and adds minimal weight. It is an extra 48v battery with an alternator and starter generator.

P90380085_highRes_bmw-48-v-mild-hybrid-830x415.jpg
Do you happen to know the additional weight that the 48v hybrid will add? I read from one article that it's a 30kg (66lbs) weight penalty but I don't know if that is accurate.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The 48v hybrid system isn't the traditional hybrid setup and adds minimal weight. It is an extra 48v battery with an alternator and starter generator.

P90380085_highRes_bmw-48-v-mild-hybrid-830x415.jpg
That looks like a micro-hybrid setup.. it'd have to have an electric motor assisting ICE to be mild-hybrid..

edit:

New powertrains are also coming along for the ride. The new BMW M440i xDrive Coupe will combine a 374-horsepower, 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-6 with a 48-volt mild-hybrid system. The extra juice can be used for efficiency's sake, prolonging stop-start time and permitting lighter engine loads at times, but it can also provide an additional 11 hp (and an unspecified amount of torque) when a driver smashes the gas pedal
weak

Last edited:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Do you happen to know the additional weight that the 48v hybrid will add? I read from one article that it's a 30kg (66lbs) weight penalty but I don't know if that is accurate.
I do not know unfortunately but I would assume it’s not a lot if they chose to keep the battery in the front

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
It doesn't actually require all that much horsepower to propel a car while just cruising and maintaining speed. FAR less than the horsepower the B58 engine puts out at its most efficient RPM. That's where a mild hybrid setup is probably the most useful strictly for fuel economy gains.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...tion-by-2025-even-trucks-and-sports-cars.html

Every Toyota Will Have an Electrified Option by 2025, Even Trucks and Sports Cars

Toyota plans to offer at least one electrified option for every model it produces by 2025.

We’ve driven a lot of Toyota hybrids lately. Most recently was the family hauler Sienna minivan. A month prior, it was the reborn Venza. If the Japanese giant’s next few years go according to plan, car buyers in all segments will be driving more of them, too. That’s because Toyota plans on offering an electrified option on every model it produces by 2025.

“Electrified” can mean a few different things here. There are the regular hybrids like the afore-mentioned Sienna and Venza, and the originator, the Prius. Plug-in hybrids, like the 2021 RAV4 Prime, are a step further: bigger batteries, longer EV-only range, and the ability (but not the necessity) to plug in. Those are the big two for North American shoppers. Toyota hasn’t committed to a full-EV here yet, though Lexus is getting one in Europe. There’s also the stylish new Mirai hydrogen fuel-cell sedan, but that’s a niche item available in just one area.

Toyota presented this plan at one of its more recent launch events. AutoGuide asked for clarification from Scott MacKenzie, senior manager of external affairs at Toyota Canada. When pressed, MacKenzie told us there was no asterisk or exception here. More recently, we had a quick sit-down with Romaric Lartilleux, PR manager at the company. Revisiting the subject, Lartilleux had this to say: “We don’t specifically mention which car or which category, but yes, the goal is to have an electrified option in every segment, for each of our models. I can’t be more specific, but that’s all I can tell you.”

Reading between the lines, that paints a target on a few of Toyota’s current models. Not the passenger cars though: with the Yaris dead for 2021, every one of Toyota’s current lineup offers a hybrid option. The crossover lineup is quickly adopting batteries too, in the shape of the RAV4, Venza, and Highlander. No, the remaining non-electrified models are largely trucks or truck-based (Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runner, Sequoia, Land Cruiser), or the sports cars (the 86 and Supra). The small C-HR crossover currently doesn’t come in hybrid form on our shores, but does in Europe.

Rumors persist that the next-generation Tundra, due in around a year, will pick up a hybrid option. It can’t come too soon, with Ford launching its own hybrid F-150 recently. If true, we would expect the related Sequoia, which shares the same platform, to follow suit. Further down the line are the Tacoma and 4Runner replacements. There’s no hybrid mid-size truck on the market currently, while a potential hybrid 4Runner could be a foil for the upcoming Jeep Wrangler 4xe plug-in.

The sports cars are tougher to predict. The 86 will be replaced next year by the GR86, which will once again pair off with the recently-unveiled 2022 Subaru BRZ. Lartilleux remained tight-lipped about the sport coupe replacement, only confirming that it is indeed coming, but stayed mum on when. Subaru announced just one engine for the BRZ last month: a 2.4-liter flat-four.

Meanwhile, the Supra shares its platform with the BMW Z4. 2025 would be near the end of the car’s lifecycle if Toyota sticks to the industry norm of around six years. Would the Supra see a late-in-life refresh, introducing a hybrid drivetrain? BMW does have plug-in setups elsewhere in its lineup, for both its four- and six-cylinder models. A hybrid Supra? It wouldn’t be the strangest evolution of a storied sports car name

Of course, these are only plans for now, and if 2020 has taught us anything, it’s that plans change. What do you think of Toyota’s ambitious electrification strategy? Let us know in the comments section.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tetsuta Tada said many times he didn’t want a hybrid Supra MKV. My guess is that in the year 2025, for model year 2026 they will allow the Supra lineup to finish out hybrid-less.

I do believe A70 backed this up, saying “legacy” models would finish out their model runs through actual year 2025 (MY2026).

The GR86 being so new, who knows. Same with the GR Corolla and GR Yaris. I think those two and this generation of Supra being allowed to finish out their last model year unchanged from gas only is what he meant.

Any of these vehicles in their next generation however.... all hybrid undoubtedly.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
" Toyota plans to offer at least one electrified option for every model it produces by 2025. "

I think it is important to make the distinction that each model having a electrified option is not the same as every trim having some sort of electrification. So with that being said, we will probably see an electrified GR86/GR Yaris/GR Corolla, but that doesn't mean there won't be gas-only options.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
" Toyota plans to offer at least one electrified option for every model it produces by 2025. "

I think it is important to make the distinction that each model having a electrified option is not the same as every trim having some sort of electrification. So with that being said, we will probably see an electrified GR86/GR Yaris/GR Corolla, but that doesn't mean there won't be gas-only options.
This makes sense. It also goes along with a buildup to the Japanese government’s 2030 electrification mandate announced a few days ago.

The Corolla already does or will have a Prius-like hybrid option so that will be in addition to the GR/GRMN Corolla.

Since the GR86 hasn’t even gone on sale yet for its next generation it would not be surprising to see a hybrid trim level by model year 2026 even though we haven’t heard about this yet.

The Supra MKV however is going to have its last model year as 2026 (in the actual year of sale 2025) so I think Tetsuya Tada will still get his wish to keep this generation of the Supra hybrid-less.

It will be gas-only right up to the last minute before it would be required to have a hybrid option.

A Supra A100 next generation however will almost certainly be gas-hybrid across the model range.
Sponsored