Would you be interested in a hybrid Supra?

• Yes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the price

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
This new 86 however, is just the beginning of Toyota's sports car renaissance. Soon, there will be an entry-level sports car, and of course, a Big Dog range-topper. You know the name.

"With my next sportscar," explains Tada-san, "I want to make a big... ‘wow'." His arms gesticulate large vortex circles. "Nobody expected us to build something like the GT 86. I want to give the world a shock."Does that mean we are - whisper it - getting a new Supra?

He laughs. Quite loudly. "Of course, anything is possible." Sasaki-san also chirrups in. "With the 86, we didn't want to use driver aids - that's the thinking. But new Supra means big power, so we need something for that. It'll be a different avenue of sports car from the GT 86."

Tantalisingly, neither of them would formulate anything concrete, so it remains as thus: the GT 86 is the hot new thing on the block, and a new Supra is "just one avenue of sports car Toyota could take. There are others too."One thing is for sure however: if Tada-san has his way, the new sports car definitely won't be a hybrid.

"Our LMP1 programme gave us a good insight into hybrid performance, but for me, I think current hybrid technology is not good for road sports cars. I don't really want that." I inform him about the cosmically-quick Porsche 918 Spyder - built by a company both he and Sasaki greatly admire from an engineering perspective - and he laughs again. "That's a very good hybrid drivetrain, but it's for the man who has an unlimited amount of money. I don't like that. I want to build a car that everybody can afford, a car for the ordinary people, not something that requires too much money."A champion of the everyday petrolhead, no?
Sponsored

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Excellent quotes.

Everyone who keeps insisting that the MkV will be hybrid, 4 cylinder, plug-in, fuel cell, or other BS, has clearly not been listening to anything that the top brass at Toyota and Calty have been saying.

S O B

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm pretty sure Tada san has already said the Flagship Toyota sports car won't be a hybrid.
Good. Theres guys I know that won't buy a car just because it's a hybrid. Probably an image thing, but things like image really do effect sales.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Interesting comment about the "just one avenue of sports car" ... i've always felt there is more room in between a top of the line sports car which the Supra should be and the 86.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't see a hybrid for this car. Not for the first generation at least.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
For that hinted price tag of $50k-$60k, I also don't believe it will be a hybrid, unlike with the $100k+ NSX II and R36 GT-R.

I would also like to add that unlike past concepts like the: FT-HS, LF-LC, LF-Ch, LF-Gh, and etc. which were clearly labeled as hybrid concepts; FT-1 currently show no sign of being hybrid related. However, that doesn't mean that there won't be a hybrid version; I'm just simply stating there isn't really any evidences of a hybrid FT-1 at the moment.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
For that hinted price tag of $50k-$60k, I also don't believe it will be a hybrid, unlike with the $100k+ NSX II and R36 GT-R.
+1, the price makes it very obvious. You can spend $40k on a plug-in Prius. $60k for some new hybrid sportscar sounds unrealistic at best.

JonMon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cars
What is the cheapest hybrid sports car out there?

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't think this will end up being a hybrid. Maybe there will be a special edition hybrid version later on or even the second generation of it may be hybrid. But I think the Lexus LF-LC production version will be Toyota/Lexus first hybrid sports car which I believe may come out a year or 2 after the FT1 production release.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
What is the cheapest hybrid sports car out there?
The Honda CR-Z at $19,995. :rofl:

Lol, but foreal.

BMW i8 - $135,700
Porsche 918 - $845,000
McLaren P1 - $1.15 million
Ferrari LaFerrari - $1.2 million

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ Yeah with those prices I doubt Toyota will make the FT1 hybrid. Not that they can't make one but if they are targetting a 50-60k sports car, I dont see it.

The next affordable hybrid sports car will be the NSX though which is going to reveal at Detroit in a few weeks. My estimate is $120k.

JonMon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cars
Affordable? i guess it is all relative, none of those cars are even close to affordable to me.

With prices of even historically cheap v8's from the domestic co's reaching into the $50's fully optioned. toyota will have a hard enough time keeping it affordable with a regular turbo V6 nevermind a hybrid.

high roller

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTI
^ Yeah with those prices I doubt Toyota will make the FT1 hybrid. Not that they can't make one but if they are targetting a 50-60k sports car, I dont see it.

The next affordable hybrid sports car will be the NSX though which is going to reveal at Detroit in a few weeks. My estimate is $120k.
NSX will definitely be over $100k which means there isn't a serious hybrid sports car that costs less than 100 grand. Which means thank god the Supra won't be a hybrid :)

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
while i would not be interested in a hybrid; i would like to play devil's advocate for a minute.

back when the FT-HS debut in 2006/2007, Toyota said a production version could cost around $35k. with the rate of inflation that would be around $41k today. i know that isn't real hardcore info/facts, but its something to keep in mind. also, cost could be saved with the BMW partnership as well. i guess we will know for sure in a couple of years.
Sponsored