Would you be interested in a hybrid Supra?

• Yes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the price

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
I don't want a smooth transmission in the Supra. I want gear rattle. Noises. It's a sports car.

dorsen36

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Supra TT
The newly released hybrid Lexus coupe only has 350 horsepower and starts at 96k USD. 295 from a v6, 55 from an assisting electric motor. What does this tell us about the upcoming flagship hybrid Toyota car??

In the '90s, a base Supra was 30k USD, and the comparable Lexus SC300 was 50k. Following this formula, the hybrid Supra will start at about 58k USD, or about 40% less. And the anticipated BMW I6 powered version would probably start at 50k USD, the same as the BMW Z roadster.

This isn't very exciting news to me, as it ultimately makes it a choice between an expensive, underpowered hybrid system or a Toyota with a BMW engine. The I4 turbo seems tempting, but we will likely have to wait another 2 years to see the Lexus F/Toyota TRD variants of the car.

It seems that the newer Supra might be a let down in comparison to its 20-year-old sibling in terms of easily accessible power. We can at least hope that it will outperform Nissan's heavily outdated 370z.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
hybrid/electric powertrain possibilities have all been unsubstantiated rumors...people have claimed they could hear "electric" whirring sounds with some of the drive by videos but none of that can be confirmed..you would think that part of the reason why toyota/bmw teamed up was in order to bring out some sort of new design or technology because even the gt86 project spawned a new generation engine for subaru out of their particular deal but nothing has been for sure. a hybrid sports car could fit a niche as a mini nsx/918 but im not sure if great hybrid performance is available for under 6 figures. sure the hybrid v6 in the LC500h is adequate (moves 2 tons to 60 in around 5 secs which is pretty impressive) but im not sure if the shifting experience would be accepted..plus, if they throw the 500h powertrain, it would just be another question mark on this partnership..price point is going to be very interesting due to bmw's exisiting and future lineup in the $50-70 K range, pretty crowded.

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
The newly released hybrid Lexus coupe only has 350 horsepower and starts at 96k USD. 295 from a v6, 55 from an assisting electric motor. What does this tell us about the upcoming flagship hybrid Toyota car??

In the '90s, a base Supra was 30k USD, and the comparable Lexus SC300 was 50k. Following this formula, the hybrid Supra will start at about 58k USD, or about 40% less. And the anticipated BMW I6 powered version would probably start at 50k USD, the same as the BMW Z roadster.

This isn't very exciting news to me, as it ultimately makes it a choice between an expensive, underpowered hybrid system or a Toyota with a BMW engine. The I4 turbo seems tempting, but we will likely have to wait another 2 years to see the Lexus F/Toyota TRD variants of the car.

It seems that the newer Supra might be a let down in comparison to its 20-year-old sibling in terms of easily accessible power. We can at least hope that it will outperform Nissan's heavily outdated 370z.

I'm sorry, but 96K for a hybrid Lexus coupe is ridiculous. Especially with "only" 350 HP. Curious what type of person buys this type of car.

dorsen36

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Supra TT
If it does get the BMW I6, it would probably be from the M2, which is a great engine. can essentially achieve BPU++ Supra numbers with just a tuning chip. It's a great engine but it's still a BMW engine.. Kind of cancels out the positives of being a Toyota.

Reactions: HKz

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I'm sorry, but 96K for a hybrid Lexus coupe is ridiculous. Especially with "only" 350 HP. Curious what type of person buys this type of car.
it is well priced especially for countries that have displacement taxes. imagine, if that 500h powertrain can move approximately 4400 lbs 0 to 60 mph in 5 secs, how quickly would it move something only 3000 lbs? everyone knows the hp figures are not the most accurate when it comes to hybrids, and the torque is really wheres it's at..plus, the kind of buyer interested in the lc isn't that concerned with performance, much like the 2nd gen sc it is more about the design, interior & daily driving manners.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
If it does get the BMW I6, it would probably be from the M2, which is a great engine. can essentially achieve BPU++ Supra numbers with just a tuning chip. It's a great engine but it's still a BMW engine.. Kind of cancels out the positives of being a Toyota.
BMW is phasing out the N55. If a BMW motor is use than it would more than likely be the B58.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B58

http://youwheel.com/home/2016/03/27/detailed-analysis-the-bmw-b58-inline-6-cylinder-engine/

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=430180#post430180

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Not sure where you got your numbers from, but this is the MSRP in 93.

Supra
NA: $33,900
TT: $39,900

SC
300: $35,200
400: $41,900

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Next Toyota Supra Hybrid Setup May Carry Lexus DNA

]It is no secret that Toyota is working on a brand new Supra and the vehicle is being built alongside the next-gen BMW Z4. Development has been going on for a couple of years now but we still don’t have certainty on what the future Supra will have to offer.

If the spy photos and videos are all to be referred to, the Supra seems likely to come out running on a high-powered hybrid powertrain. The powertrain will consist of a 2L turbo-4 engine with two electric motors. This will gran the car a total power output of about 450hp.

On the other hand, the rumors are now claiming that Toyota will be borrowing the hybrid system from the Lexus LC500h. This means that the Supra will rely on the 3.5L V6 and an electric motor. However, the Supra will be better refined for performance as it is aimed at offering 450hp rather than 350hp.

So, which outcome would you prefer? We simply can’t decide and can only hope for Toyota to pull off a stunner with the next-gen Supra.
http://nseavoice.com/cars/next-toyota-supra-hybrid-setup-may-carry-lexus-dna-920024341.html

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
so we're supposed to believe this partnership has resulted in Toyota using an existing (and rather old) powertrain and somehow it is going to gain 100 extra HP for the much cheaper Supra while the LC gets stuck with only 350 HP? :popcorn:
obviously its click bait, but i figured i may as well post it here before someone makes a new thread.

on a different note from a cost point; i think i would rather just see a NA V6 over a hybrid V6. the 2GR-FKS on the new LS makes 318hp.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/06/05/v6-powered-lexus-ls-350-debuts-at-china-auto-show/

Lexus has quietly debuted a new V6-powered variant of the new LS flagship at the Shenzhen-Hong Kong-Macao International Auto Show in China — the LS 350 will get a 10-speed transmission, 318 horsepower and 280 lb.ft-of-torque. Here are some photos from auto-sina.com.cn:

Last edited:
Reactions: HKz