Would you be interested in a hybrid Supra?

• Yes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the price

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
From a cost point; I think i would rather just see a NA V6 over a hybrid V6. The 2GR-FKS on the new LS makes 318hp.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/06/05/v6-powered-lexus-ls-350-debuts-at-china-auto-show/

Lexus has quietly debuted a new V6-powered variant of the new LS flagship at the Shenzhen-Hong Kong-Macao International Auto Show in China — the LS 350 will get a 10-speed transmission, 318 horsepower and 280 lb.ft-of-torque. Here are some photos from auto-sina.com.cn:
Sponsored

Hal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda s2000
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1106198_2019-toyota-supra-spy-shots-and-video#image=100608972

As the photos and video reveal, the car features a relatively small footprint. It’s clearly smaller than 2014’s FT-1 concept car, which previewed the design. Elements borrowed from the concept include the protruding nose, double-bubble roof, jet fighter-style glasshouse, muscular rear fenders, and ducktail trunk lid.

We can also see the layout of the new liftback in some of the shots.

The car isn’t expected on the market until well into 2018, which means we’ll likely see it arrive as a 2019 model. (It’s possible the debut will take place in late 2017 at the Tokyo auto show.) Being so far out from the market arrival, there are few solid details to report on for what’s lurking within the sheet metal.

We know the new platform features a front-midship layout and a low center of gravity, as evidenced by the very low hood and roof. It’s likely to feature multi-material construction, perhaps even some carbon fiber to shed weight while boosting strength.

The car is expected to be offered with more than one powertrain option, with the range-topper rumored to be a hybrid powertrain combining a twin-turbocharged V-6 with an electric motor or two. The V-6 would power the rear wheels while the electric motors power the front pair, creating a “through-the-road” hybrid setup. Toyota previewed a similar setup in 2013 with its Hybrid-R concept.

The downside is that such a system would likely see the price of the Supra come in at a high level. We've heard it will be priced higher than a Corvette, which starts in the mid-$50k bracket and quickly rises from there. So to offset this Toyota may also offer an entry-level powertrain consisting purely of the twin-turbo V-6 or a turbocharged inline-4.

And to further reduce costs, production of the Toyota sports car along with its BMW counterpart is rumored to be taking place at independent vehicle manufacturer Magna Steyr's plant located in Graz, Austria. Sharing a production facility makes sense considering the low volumes of pricey sports cars.

On a final note, we've heard that the new Supra might end up as the first model from a new Gazoo performance sub-brand. Gazoo is the name of the official motorsport department of Toyota and Lexus.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Old guy.

Same guy who bought this:

2016_7_7-rCars-XLR-01-HEADER.jpg
I used to want one of these. I loved the C6, but they were everywhere. The issue I had with the XLR was what you said; too many old white dudes having one killed it for me :rofl:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
According to CS, hybrid prototypes have to display a yellow round sticker on the rear window as seen on the next Crown or Lexus GS. So far to my knowledge there has been no Supra prototypes spotted with a yellow sticker.

The only thing we can be certain about is that the prototype is a hybrid, thanks that yellow round sticker on the rear window, which is mandatory for all hybrid test cars on the Nurburgring due to safety regulations.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/06/is-this-next-lexus-gs-probably-yes.html

Lexus-GS-Scoop-12.jpg

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
A simple hybrid system adding torque at pre-boost levels would be ideal. I would prefer no electric motors powering the front wheels. Keep the car simple and RWD.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
A simple hybrid system adding torque at pre-boost levels would be ideal. I would prefer no electric motors powering the front wheels. Keep the car simple and RWD.
while logically it seems sound, I'm not sure how that would work for the price point people want ($60-80 K)..with what you're suggesting any "simple" electric motors would just add weight and not actually make the car any faster, not to mention it would make the car's packaging even worse..where would the motor get the energy from without it negatively affecting the ICE? Add batteries sure, but that only adds extra weight, complexity & cost..this hurdle is still why the most beneficial sports hybrid systems cost 6 figures. The V6 hybrid featured in the GS & LC are the most advanced hybrid systems for under $100 K and while adequate they are still meant more towards efficiency instead of performance.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, this is interesting. There most definitely hasn't been a Yellow sticker on any of the test mules. And presumably, the fastest model is the one being tested on the 'Ring, so that either means no hybrid model, or that the hybrid model won't be the fast one?

Maybe all these Hybrid rumors are all just misattributed from the LC500h's development and the Supra is just gonna have a gas engine? God, I really hope so. As much as I love performance-hybrids, I want this car to be light and fairly straightforward to work on. BMW making the engine really kills any chance for the latter, so all I can hope for is lightness. :dunno:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Is the yellow sticker a new rule? I can't recalling seeing LC test mules/prototypes will yellow stickers.

On another note, this site is saying its the new four cylinder hybrid Crown testing, and not the next GS.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...rtedly-packs-four-cylinder-hybrid-118977.html
Here's an article from May of this year with a Porsche 918 displaying the sticker.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car.../porsche-918-spyder-nurburgring-testing-2017/

Not sure about farther back than that though.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I would rather Toyota/BMW just keep it light, simple, and some what affordable, $60k give or take. Learn lessons from Honda. A crappy CR-Z hybrid no one wanted. Honda fan boys kept saying they would rather see a cheaper model with the k series priced from $16k+. And now more recently with the new NSX. IMO it would have sold much better as a TTV6 RWD for $100k+.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Next Toyota Supra: LC500h’s 450hp Hybrid Goes Off The Roof

The highly anticipated next-gen Toyota Supra looks set to make its official unveiling in Q3 this year. While Toyota has yet to make any official reveals on the Supra’s powertrain, many are speculating that the vehicle will be relying on a hybrid setup that is sourced from the Lexus LC500h.

The LC500h is the only hybrid system from Toyota that is designed for maximum performance hence making it the perfect candidate to power the next-gen Supra. After all, it won’t make financial sense for Toyota to invest a lot of money in developing a completely different performance hybrid system just for the Supra.

In case you are wondering why hybrid, there are plenty of leaks and insider reports that are claiming the next-gen Supra to adopt a performance hybrid mill. Even spy videos have shown on an electrical setup powering the next-gen Supra.

If the speculated specs are spot on, then we may see the future Supra having 450hp to offer – just like how it is with the Lexus LC500h. Only time will tell on the accuracy of this speculation.

http://nseavoice.com/cars/next-toyota-supra-lc500hs-450hp-hybrid-goes-off-the-roof-920025588.html

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
where did they get 450 HP from? Lexus rates total system power as 354 HP. The torque figure is the more interesting stat anyways for any system involving electric power..Lexus unfortunately doesn't have this figure in any of their online materials.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting. Toyota seeks to get LEED Platinum cert at new Plano HQ. It would make sense to debut a Supra with a hybrid powerplant.

http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyo...+dollar+north+american+headquarters+texas.htm
I feel like LEED Certification has more to do with brand image and local support than an indicator of hybrid sports cars or anything like that. Not to discount Toyota's efforts, or to say that the Supra won't be hybrid, just not sure those two are directly related.

Also, my parent's place is right next to the Toyota Campus in Plano, and it looks badass. Just need to get access to their private ranch/racetrack in Denton... :D