Would you be interested in a hybrid Supra?

• Yes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Maybe, depends on the price

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
While we are on the topic of the Crown/GS.
very difficult for me to see toyota/lexus investing in 2 totally new & separate low production twin turbo powerplants especially since the industry is trying to move away from 8 cylinders...makes no sense why their board would give the green light to an engine configuration their German competitors barely use while they refused to do the Supra project on their own. The money doesn't compute at all here. My bet is the TT 3.5 from the LS will have different variants for possibly the LC F and next gen RC F/GS F.

formsracing

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
very difficult for me to see toyota/lexus investing in 2 totally new & separate low production twin turbo powerplants especially since the industry is trying to move away from 8 cylinders...makes no sense why their board would give the green light to an engine configuration their German competitors barely use while they refused to do the Supra project on their own. The money doesn't compute at all here. My bet is the TT 3.5 from the LS will have different variants for possibly the LC F and next gen RC F/GS F.
You have a valid point. However BMW, Audi, MB, and Porsche all use 4 liter TT V8 units in many states of tune throughout each of their line ups. It's now the go-to unit for many of the high performance models.

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I dont think it makes that much sense to have the LC-F come with a variation of the TT V6 from the LS500. If it is going to be $180k (lots of rumors online, and my local dealership pretty much confirmed it as well), its going to have power figures that are vastly superior to the current 471hp/398tq figures to justify an $80k price hike. If they are really planning to charge that much, it better have a ballpark figure of 600hp, considering the weight of the LC. The question then becomes.... can they squeeze that much power out if the TT V6? I don't know...

If anything, it makes more sense to move the TT V6 over to the LC500 when the LC-F arrives, retiring the 2UR-GSE V8, which is the lone NA V8 competing in a world of Turbo engines from all of its rivals.

I think the TT V8 is coming. Only question is... will it only be in the LC-F or will it make its way into the next GS-F as well (If they make a next gen GS-F, that is)

What gets me is that Toyota DOES seem to be more willing to put R&D into the Lexus brand and take risks. In this current era where people buy SUVs and coupes are dying off, they took a huge risk in bringing the LF-LC from concept to production, surpassing the longstanding LS as the flagship. They also developed that IS/GS Frankenstein platform that is the basis for the RC. They expanded the performance F lineup by making the RC-F and GS-F. All of these vehicles are low production cars that have more of a Halo affect on Lexus showrooms rather than huge sales numbers. And they did all of this and only added 1 new SUV, which is the NX, which is easily one of their best selling vehicles since its introduction.

This shows that they could have EASILY developed the new Supra by themselves if they wanted to.:banghead:

Last edited:

SupraGuy19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CRV Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Ditto, I am really disappointed that Toyota didn't just develop the Supra all by themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming Supra is 90% BMW, may as well rename it the 2018 BMW Supra.

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Ditto, I am really disappointed that Toyota didn't just develop the Supra all by themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming Supra is 90% BMW, may as well rename it the 2018 BMW Supra.
Agreed.

And if it has that 4 banger... might as well leave the Supra name out completely.

(although we dont have an official name yet) perhaps 2018 BMW/Toyota Celica maybe?:dunno:

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Agreed.

And if it has that 4 banger... might as well leave the Supra name out completely.

(although we dont have an official name yet) perhaps 2018 BMW/Toyota Celica maybe?:dunno:
I believe 'Supra' is the only name Toyota has trademarked at moment.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Well considering the LC-F is supposed to be $150k, I'd say the LS-F would be be around 10k less.

So affordable isn't a term I'd use either lol.