If not the New Supra, then what?

What other car are you looking forward to?

• Mazda R7/8 successor

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • Nissan Z successor

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Honda S2000 successor

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • R36 GT-R

Votes: 25 24.0%

• Total voters

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
718 GT4...now with the pre-718 taillights

The Peugeot(pronounced po-jet) E-Legend and the VW ID:BUZZ

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
hmmmm

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/n...6TA7m6Am8L31BGWsSrGSxeh1wUV8-p_nIdh4tvDMsDgzE

The Nissan 370Z sports car has gotten long in the tooth in recent years, receiving only the most minor of updates. This new Nissan Motorsports Project Clubsport 23, though, packs a new 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 engine—exactly the kind of shot in the arm that the car needs. But, sadly, the Clubsport is just a one-off for this week's SEMA show.

Also, the engine isn't exactly "new." Taken from the Infiniti Q50 and Q60 Red Sport 400 models, the VR30DDTT makes the same 400 horsepower that it does in those two cars. That doesn't mean the Clubsport's powertrain is stock, though—far from it. The biggest difference is that Nissan fitted the Clubsport with a manual transmission. Neither Infiniti can be had with a stick, so a lot of work was done to make the 370Z Nismo's six-speed manual work with the new V-6. MA Motorsports developed a clutch disc, cover, and flywheel assembly for the car, and a NISMO two-way rear differential is assisted by an MA Motorsports diff cooler.

The modifications don't stop there. The Project Clubsport gets a heat exchanger and cold-air intake from AMS Performance, blowoff valves and silicone coolant hoses for the radiator and intercooler from Z1 Motorsports, and a power-steering cooler and a custom dual-exhaust system from MA Motorsports. A set of 18-inch Rays aluminum wheels are wrapped in Hankook RS4 tires sized 285/35R-18; the new wheels will become available through Nissan dealerships in the future. Also fitted are two-piece slotted brake rotors from Z1 Motorsports with performance brake pads and brake lines from NISMO. KW Variant coil-over shocks and Eibach springs are paired with a body-brace kit and other suspension components from NISMO.

It wouldn't be a SEMA special without some styling enhancements to go along with the performance mods, and the Project Clubsport is no different. That dual-exhaust system exits through holes next to the rear license plate instead of the lower diffuser, and the rear bumper has been modified accordingly. An APR carbon-fiber front splitter, larger MA Motorsports front air dam, and a Seibon carbon-fiber hood are complemented by NISMO carbon-fiber mirrors and pillar trim. A Burnt Orange wrap by Speedesign Custom Graphics rounds the whole thing off.

On the inside, there are Sparco QRT-R racing seats with six-point harnesses, a Sparco steering wheel, a custom roll cage, and a fire-suppression system. The upholstery has been refinished by MA Motorsports in quilted black leather with contrasting stitching, as a throwback to the diamond pattern of the original 240Z.

Nissan says that the Project Clubsport is a "rolling parts development platform," stating that the car will be continuously modified and used as a test bed for new parts and components, both OEM and aftermarket.

Oh, and remember how we said the car is just a one-off? That isn't exactly true—Nissan says that, depending on customer interest, its Motorsports division could offer a kit to let customers convert their own 370Z into "the ultimate track Z car." While it's unlikely that such a factory-offered kit would include the twin-turbo engine, we can dream, right?

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So, a kit to give it track like performance with an aging platform for easy cost, light R&D and improve margins and stay competitive?

Sounds smart...unless I misread it

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
egh, that's more like a line of bs to feed the public from the marketing department or at most a plug for Nismo selling you a few chassis upgrades.

however, the fact that they made this concept shows they are gauging public opinion on things. so hopefully we eventually see something come of this, but if it doesn't get approved soon then it may never happen as we are getting to the cusp of where things are going to start going EV, especially from Nissan.

Shame the rest of the world never received the cool Nismo Z specials like the 380RS stateside.

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
...but if it doesn't get approved soon then it may never happen as we are getting to the cusp of where things are going to start going EV, especially from Nissan.
So glad you brought this up. I don't think a lot of the buying public realizes that we are nearing the final generation of all-gas sports cars. So when I hear people nitpick upcoming models of the tiniest things, I kind of want to say "Hey pal, not only will the next model not have a manual. it won't even have spark plugs."

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
autonomous vehicles as well!

the majority of Toyota R&D is dedicated to alternative fuels and autonomous driving as they already see the end of the current petrol powered flavor. when Tada made the comment that this may be the last Supra powered entirely by fossil fuel he was not joking as that may indeed be the case...

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
autonomous vehicles as well!

the majority of Toyota R&D is dedicated to alternative fuels and autonomous driving as they already see the end of the current petrol powered flavor. when Tada made the comment that this may be the last Supra powered entirely by fossil fuel he was not joking as that may indeed be the case...
Even Ford is teaming up with VW to build autonomous vehicles

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
Even Ford is teaming up with VW to build autonomous vehicles
Just about everyone is teaming up with everyone else to develop autonomous vehicles. There are a lot of incestuous relationships being formed. It's largely because the underlying tech is being developed by a relatively small amount of companies.

It's only because of clever marketing spin that we think that car companies are approaching the problem from a vast multitude of different angles.

Forumboy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None officially
Hey I’d really like a new 86 lol. With the option of the 4 cylinder Supra, would Toyota see the point? I thought they said they’re making a new one, but I would imagine it being similar in performance to a 4 cylinder supra.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Hey I’d really like a new 86 lol. With the option of the 4 cylinder Supra, would Toyota see the point? I thought they said they’re making a new one, but I would imagine it being similar in performance to a 4 cylinder supra.
Thats a great question, especially when we think about where the 86 would sit below the 4 cylinder supra in pricing. The 4 cylinder Supra will have more power and loads more mid-range torque over the 86 so there would have to be a distinguishing price difference, especially if the Supra handles as well as they say.

Edit: added performance figures for reference, mind you the 230i is heavier than the rumored weight of the A90
GT86: 2800 lbs, 6.2s 0-60 (MT) 7.2s 0-60 (AT)
230i: 3550 lbs, 5.2s 0-60 (AT).

For someone shopping for an automatic, 2 seconds is leaps and bounds quicker, so who knows what will be done to keep the GT86 in the future with it's lack of power aka it's fatal flaw

Last edited:

Forumboy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None officially
If it comes with this 4 cylinder motor, I’d probably take the 86 lol. The main benefits I can see of the 4 cyl Supra if the 86 does come with a turbo (or some form of forced induction) is the likelihood of a higher quality interior and a more sophisticated automatic. I would probably prefer a manual anyway and interior isn’t a huge priority for me personally.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sl...brz-tipped-for-2021-2-4l-reboot-04526051/amp/

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

The Supra looked a lot faster going down The Ring,Cayman just looks like it's going for a drive with a girl

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase

The Supra looked a lot faster going down The Ring,Cayman just looks like it's going for a drive with a girl
I must say, I have a GT4, and the time it runs on the Nurburgring are similar to the Supra (or at least what is rumored). The new GT4 will definitely be faster, so therefore its times will also be faster.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I must say, I have a GT4, and the time it runs on the Nurburgring are similar to the Supra (or at least what is rumored). The new GT4 will definitely be faster, so therefore its times will also be faster.
I heard it's getting the 991s Flat 6
Sponsored