To M2 or not to M2

Wj100

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium, 22 BMW X3 M40i, 02 Miata SE
Had my 3.0 for almost a year now and am 2nd on my BMW dealership's list for a G87 M2. Bought the Supra as a place holder but have really grown to enjoy it. Main concern about the M2 is the weight... The Supra is just so nimble.

Kind of hoping it takes a while before my allocation drops. Anyone else in the queue for an M2?
Sponsored

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
Any of these good folks will tell you, it’s your money and you can do what you damn please with it.

the s58 In the m2 is an hell of an engine, I just personally can’t get over the way the m2 looks. The mkv, in my eyes, is honestly the best looking car you can get under 100k, not to mention with the fantastic b58 and zf8.

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Had my 3.0 for almost a year now and am 2nd on my BMW dealership's list for a G87 M2. Bought the Supra as a place holder but have really grown to enjoy it. Main concern about the M2 is the weight... The Supra is just so nimble.

Kind of hoping it takes a while before my allocation drops. Anyone else in the queue for an M2?
I understand the consideration of the M2 but honestly the Supra is a head turner and the M2 still looks like regular traffic despite what it is. You may know what you’re driving in a BMW M2, but no one else will. You get the S58 and upgraded interior etc. but… it’s not any faster, it’s more expensive, and you’ll lose money on trading after a year. Consider the pros and cons to make your final decision.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I was in a similar boat - It was always going to be a MY23 MKV or a MY23 M2.

Here in Oz, a spec'ed up M2 is about $20-30k USD more expensive here than a "premium" Supra. For me it was a tough call as the Supra exterior has the M2 covered while the M2 interior has the Supra covered. Engine wise, they're both capable enough for my tastes but the whole BMW package just felt a little more pedestrian overall.

And for mine, the MY23 M2 colours are just horrible.

But this is all subjective so dowatchyalike.

Tribeq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2015 A3
I was really excited for the new M2. A refresh of the best looking M car in the line up and it was getting the S58? Wow. Then I saw that it had apparently been the victim of a horrible accident and became obese. Hard pass.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Imo Supra because it’s the top we can get. Bmw guys dig the Supra

I have seen bmw guys talk down on m2 owners because you are now lowest on their totem pole. I’d rather have the top Toyota than a base m car bmw, that’s just me

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Kia Telly , 2020 Jeep GC , 2023 Supra MT
Imo Supra because it’s the top we can get. Bmw guys dig the Supra

I have seen bmw guys talk down on m2 owners because you are now lowest on their totem pole. I’d rather have the top Toyota than a base m car bmw, that’s just me
The M2 is a top tier M car. I dunno what “BMW“ guys you’re talking about , but if they think that, then their opinions mean nothing and they’re most likely posers.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT

My initial question chain is what do you like and hate about both? If the things you dislike about the supra are more extensive then it sounds like a switch might be right.

The other question is what is the intended purpose? A daily? A track car? They both will check multiple boxes but one will fit better in some than others.

I don't think anyone here has the right to say you should do one or the other because we don't know your situation in is entirety.

SADF-Horde

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M3, 2022 Supra 3.0
I understand the consideration of the M2 but honestly the Supra is a head turner and the M2 still looks like regular traffic despite what it is. You may know what you’re driving in a BMW M2, but no one else will. You get the S58 and upgraded interior etc. but… it’s not any faster, it’s more expensive, and you’ll lose money on trading after a year. Consider the pros and cons to make your final decision.
Not any faster, lol.

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
The M brand is too diluted now
As a previous owner of 3 M cars, the M2 strikes me as .......meh
The engine is shared with an SUV
The car weighs nearly 4000 lbs
Nothing special about the body compared to the regular 2
You can get M mirrors and carbon roof on M performance models now
M cars used to be special
Bespoke engines , DCT transmission, bespoke mirrors , CF drive shaft , M seats , bespoke M instrumental cluster
Now it's all the same with other cars

Joker328

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Red 3.0 Premium MT
And for mine, the MY23 M2 colours are just horrible.
I don't think the Zandvoort Blue is necessarily a bad color, but it's hard to make anything look good on that body. Probably needs black or a dark grey or blue (both of which they don't have) to hide the harsh lines a bit.
Sponsored