I'm a sales manager for a Toyota dealership - AMA

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
So the 2.0 Supras aren't doing so well. Hmmm wonder who predicted that... :p
Even if it drives better than 3.0 coz its lighter (obvious, not only engine is lighter but its moved back making this car mid-front engined, 3.0 cant achieve that), its still way 2 expensive, especially when they cut so many features (comfort zone, dampers, open diff, smaller brakes, slower, less power, oil cooler out too). Honestly it should start around ~38k imo. Upcomming 400z will make this even worse as rumours say it may start below 45k for basic trim. It wont drive better than Supra but 400hp + manual for a simmilar price to 2.0.... good luck :D Even I would 99% go for used 3.0 instead of new 2.0 and I'm crazy about light weight and handling over power.
2.0 makes much more sense here in EU or Japan.
Sponsored

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Feet to the fire.......Here are a couple of local examples that i have had my eye on....

1st...https://www.greenstoyotaoflexington.com/auto/new-2021-toyota-gr-supra-20-lexington-ky/49807112/

i am looking at both 2.0 and 3.0. This one was one of the first 2.0's in my area and is still on the lot today.....how far can i take them?

2nd........https://www.toyotaonnicholasville.com/inventory/new-2021-toyota-supra-3-0-rwd-2-wz1db0c05mw033619/#

This one is still on the their lot as well and has been there since before Thanksgiving. it is actually a white one (don't think anyone likes the white). the 3 others they had are gone......car is dirty which is why they only show the ad photo....saw the car Sunday. guess they don't want to waste time cleaning it if they can't sell it.....
Looks like Greens still has the yellow 3.0 I called about back in November. Not surprising. Their response was something like "this is a high demand low volume vehicle. The best we can do is MSRP". At least now they have it discounted somewhat online. I simply said thanks but no thanks and a week later I picked mine up locally for almost $6500 off. Idiots.

TeaTango

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Absolute Zero '21 Supra 3.0 premium
Looks like Greens still has the yellow 3.0 I called about back in November. Not surprising. Their response was something like "this is a high demand low volume vehicle. The best we can do is MSRP". At least now they have it discounted somewhat online. I simply said thanks but no thanks and a week later I picked mine up locally for almost $6500 off. Idiots.
Yeah when I purchased my 3.0 Premium Green's didn't want to negotiate. Went with Toyota on Nicholasville, much better experience and price, and they even let me test drive it unsupervised which isn't common for a young man, Don Jacob's wouldn't do that with my wife's civic when we test drove that LOL.

OP
OP
hotsaucewizard

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1991 325i Turbo, 2019 RC350
One place actually said they would work hard to beat the other place because they were second to that other place in overall sales and they wanted to change that.
Yes, we are a 3 year old store sitting in a previously unclaimed PMA. We have taken a HUGE piece of the pie from the other dealers in the area and they all hate us. If they catch the slightest wind that a customer came from our store they will stop at nothing in regards to pricing to secure that deal and vice versa for us.

OP
OP
hotsaucewizard

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Any idea if factory rebates will be coming soon?
They usually don't give us much heads up, everything runs month by month. I can tell you, though, that Toyota runs national sales events quarterly. Your best bet if you're not in a huge rush would be to wait until March.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Yes, we are a 3 year old store sitting in a previously unclaimed PMA. We have taken a HUGE piece of the pie from the other dealers in the area and they all hate us. If they catch the slightest wind that a customer came from our store they will stop at nothing in regards to pricing to secure that deal and vice versa for us.
Your frankness and insight here is, at least by me, greatly appreciated.

I actually find the whole process interesting from both market and human behavioral perspectives.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I had the same experience. The dealer closest to me, Koons Toyota, gave me the same line: "this is a high demand low volume vehicle. The best we can do is MSRP" (mind you, they had 3-4 3.0s and an A91 (which had a markup:thumbsdown:) sitting on their lot). I warned them I was ready to buy that day and could drive 20-30 minutes and pay way under MSRP. Needless to say, another dealer got the sale that very same day. Saved me about $4500?. Bizarre that they were trying to hold the line at MSRP in late October when every dealer around them was undercutting them by thousands of dollars.:dunno: Either way, it pays to shop around, especially with this car. Definitely a wide variation between dealers.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The dealer closest to me, Koons Toyota, gave me the same line
Dude, got my 86 from Koons Tyson's Toyota @ VA. My impression of them is they're on the "rich" street and have 0 reason to lower prices. Darn Stohlamn Subaru had told me 12 weeks to get a white BRZ back in 2012.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Dude, got my 86 from Koons Tyson's Toyota @ VA. My impression of them is they're on the "rich" street and have 0 reason to lower prices. Darn Stohlamn Subaru had told me 12 weeks to get a white BRZ back in 2012.
Koons Arlington, their smallest location perhaps (and in a funky location), actually gave me the best deal. And they listened to reason. I pointed out it was just before the holidays and they were selling a sports car with summer tires and not a high volume sales car. The sales manager paused, thought a moment, and came down the last $800 dollars I was asking.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Tyson's is where I went, and I think you're right. In fairness, I think the sales guy I was dealing with wanted to do better on price but the sales manager came over and squashed the process with the whole "high demand, low volume" mumbo jumbo. Definitely took money out of his sales guy's pockets.

OP
OP
hotsaucewizard

hotsaucewizard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
We barely sell the 86.. I'm sure we'd be more than willing to give one away haha

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Even if it drives better than 3.0 coz its lighter (obvious, not only engine is lighter but its moved back making this car mid-front engined, 3.0 cant achieve that), its still way 2 expensive,
I would not mind the 2.0 at all but for all the same reasons, hard to justify the cost for the lower level of performance. I have a 2.0 Stinger and if this thing were similar in weight to the Supra, I would not even look at the car......Used to work at the Toyota Camry plant and i believe in their quality(even though it is mostly BMW) but my Stinger is under warranty (Powertrain) for 10 yrs!!!!!!!! Of course, two extra seats add weight......

Of ALL the online reviews of the 2.0 Supra, this one matched my "thinking" about the 2.0 more than any other one. This makes total sense for buying the 2.0 BUT at a lower cost....

Yeah when I purchased my 3.0 Premium Green's didn't want to negotiate. Went with Toyota on Nicholasville, much better experience and price, and they even let me test drive it unsupervised which isn't common for a young man
how far are you from Lexington? Would be cool to hear your opinion on the Supra.......I also prefer "TON" dealer as well......
Looks like Greens still has the yellow 3.0 I called about back in November. Not surprising
They had two but got rid of one a day or so ago.....couple of those cars have been on the lot since November '20 (guess COVID couldn't make the sale....) They have since gotten a red one and that 2.0 has been on the lot for quite a while also......

Your best bet if you're not in a huge rush would be to wait until March.
That is where I am at......plans were to hit the dealers hard in few months. In no rush whatsoever......but each passing day, the "desire" grows stronger....LOL

Thanks for the info, "hotsaucewizard"....keep it coming.

TeaTango

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Absolute Zero '21 Supra 3.0 premium
Max I actually live in Lexington. Somerset and Frankfort also had some Supraā€™s, but I ended up liking the white one best. Contemplated driving up to Ohio for a blue a91 I saw online, but couldnā€™t get over the alcantara or lack of HUD for $7k more (didnt budge on price since ā€œspecial editionā€)
Sponsored